Playback

Author
marcushnz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2013/08/05 19:08:20 (permalink)

Playback

When I playback something that has been written in music notation, not all notes play. Why is this?
How do I change the tempo of the vertical bar during playback so that it stays in time with the music playing in the notation?

7 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Playback 2013/08/05 19:25:44 (permalink)
    Check the "Prepare using nnn Millisecond Buffers" setting in Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording. Try doubling the default value of 250 to 500.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Playback 2013/08/06 08:21:44 (permalink)
    The problem is rooted in the sound card that came with the computer. Doing what scook suggested will sometimes help.... it gives the hardware more time to think or look ahead, but ultimately, the sound card from the factory is woefully inadequate to do what Cakewalk software asks it to do.

This problem as you describe it, is worse with midi based music. It takes more time and power to process midi than it does audio.

Better performance is obtained with a dedicated USB based, external music interface, running ASIO drivers.

Most of us here are using the external interface and would never consider going back.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2013/08/06 08:23:21

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    marcushnz
    Re: Playback 2013/08/20 04:52:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice.

The vertical cursor moves much too fast for composition, probably double speed. The note durations are correct but the cursor moves too fast. Any suggestions?
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Playback 2013/08/20 08:00:33 (permalink)
    In midi, you can simply change the tempo to a much slower tempo. The "Now time line" indicator will move at the tempo on the project. This would allow more time to do whatever you need to do.... then when you finish, simply change the tempo back to the original tempo.

NOTE: this only works with pure 100% midi projects. If the project requires audio, DO NOT record the audio into the project at the slower tempo. Reset the tempo to the final tempo and then record the audio. Changing the tempo with audio will require realignment of the audio clips if you do change the tempo after recording them. Not impossible, but certainly a pain.

BMI/NSAI

marcushnz
    Re: Playback 2013/08/21 02:04:05 (permalink)
    Not quite sure if I understand. When I playback some notation the vertical cursor moves probably double the speed of the music playback

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Playback 2013/08/21 02:12:37 (permalink)
    marcushnz
    Not quite sure if I understand. When I playback some notation the vertical cursor moves probably double the speed of the music playback

That's got nothing to do with tempo setting, I guess. Some kind of sync thing. I've never heard of such a problem. So the Now Time really reaches the end before the playback (and the view stops scrolling??!!) and the project still keeps playing to the end normally? If so, very weird.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Playback 2013/08/21 08:17:07 (permalink)
    It could very well be related to the sound card in the computer as I mentioned above.

In a laptop I used, I had a very jumpy "now time line" indicator on the larger projects. That was not due to the interface but to the computer being "stretched" to try to process the music...... a duo core intel with barely enough memory to keep everything running..... but it only happened on the really big and CPU heavy projects filled with synths.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1