Recommendations for an entry level interface, such as MBox..

Author
Stonecold
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2013/08/10 13:52:53 (permalink)

Recommendations for an entry level interface, such as MBox..

Hely Guys,

Now that I have this software working, I'm interested in an entry level interface, like MBox, but I've tried to do a little research and I've read some arguments about latency, and enough confusion to give me pause. I'd appreciate your views and feedback. I like the fact that this software actually works properly with my Toshiba laptop, running Vista and and AMD dual core processor. I had trouble with ProTools, and they told me they don't even test with AMD processors and they had not tested with Vista ... since I could get no support from them. I picked up a Macintosh with dual processors, and built my core system around the Mac and ProTools, which was stolen earlier this year from my storage unit. So I'm starting over again and I'm interested in using Cakewalk this time.

I'm going to upgrade my hardware and move to dual core Intel and IBM/Lenovo laptop w/Windows 7 or 8, and I'd
appreciate your recommendations or feedback on entry level interfaces.

Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Recommendations for an entry level interface, such as MBox.. 2013/08/10 14:02:25 (permalink)
    The topic comes up frequently on the forum. Here are some recent examples http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2867640 and http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2847751

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Recommendations for an entry level interface, such as MBox.. 2013/08/11 09:05:57 (permalink)
    Stop in to a local music store such as Sam Ash or Guitar Center or any other one (including the online stores) which has a "pro audio" department.  Tell them you're doing research on what interface you need. Get opinions and pick their brain, as some of them are fairly knowledgeable .... and some are not, so you need to determine if they are shooting straight or blowing smoke. Tell them your needs and budget and that you want a reliable interface for your studio.

You don't want to buy a combo interface....and don't buy one of the interfaces with a midi cord attached (these are the cheap ones and give a lot of trouble) .....stay away from the gimmick interfaces and if the salesman is trying to steer you into buying one of them, thank him and leave....... none of the mixer plus an interface or a guitar processor plus and interface..... buy a simple straight up USB external audio or audio/midi interface.   We get requests here periodically for help with those gimmick interface/mixer/guitar processor things and it's not too often I recall them getting it to work like it should..... avoid them like the plague.

M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite, Roland are some of the ones that we recommend here the most. Look at this site....  www.beaglesound.com ...it's from another cakewalker who took the time to put together a listing of the more popular interfaces.

Remember that when you buy one, you want to get the best that you can afford to buy. It is and will be the heart of your recording studio for years to come.

Depending on what you buy, I have seen the audio only interfaces starting for around $100 going up to about $300 for the 2 channel interfaces, and rising above that to $1000+ for the multichannel  interfaces.  The interface I bought was $300 at the time and has now been replaced by Focusrite with newer models, however, it works as flawlessly now as it did the day I bought it and got it set up for my system. Not a bit of regret on my part for paying that price for it. At the time $300 was a ton of money, but worth every dime.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2013/08/11 09:11:47

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1