AnsweredSONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode

Author
Sige93
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2013/08/30 19:43:52 (permalink)

SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode

Hello people if i can have a moment of your time,

I have Sonar X1 LE and i have a problem when I want to put a MIDI file in a track.
When i place my midi file (set of instructions for a drum) on the track and i play it on playback i only hear a couple of instructions and not all of them which isn't normal.
I heard on a forum that you have to change your driver mode to fix this problem, so I went to preferences and i changed my driver mode from MME 32 bit to WASAPI and then my MIDI file was played correctly the way it should be.
However, when i went on the internet like youtube, i couldn't hear any sound. So when i change my driver mode to WASAPI my midi files work perfectly but i can't hear any sound on the internet. When I put it on the standard driver mode; MME 32 bit i can hear sound on my internet but my MIDI file doesn't play all the given instructions.
So I'm reaching in the dark and really need some help.
Are there any other solutions for making my MIDI file work instead of changing my driver mode?
I thank you in advance for reading this and i really hope some people answer to help me, cause i really wanna start making some of my own music ;)

Greetings
Sige

Toshiba Satellite U940, i5-3337U CPU, 1,80 GHz, 4,00 GB memory, 128GB SSD, Win 8/64 bit Sonar X1 LE recording 

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/30 20:56:55 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Sige93 2013/08/31 11:40:18
Are you using your internal sound card?  If so, there may be too much going on for it to handle what is being asked of it.

Dropouts occur due to the inability of the computer to process the audio at the sample rate and bit-depth that it is set to.

There are lots of causes for this, such as programs running that are either memory or CPU-intensive, a slow CPU, too little memory, slow hard drive transfer, etc.

IF you are using on-board sound, you may want to consider picking up a dedicated audio interface.  In addition to them being having differing numbers of inputs and outputs, as well as pre-amps and differing levels of quality in their digital/analog convertors, the universally best feature of them is that they move the workload of processing that signal away from your computer's CPU - in other words, they take on the job of doing all of the work of the analog to digital and digital to analog conversion.  This makes a HUGE difference in terms of reducing the load on your computer, and generally is HUGELY beneficial at reducing and/or eliminating dropouts.  Audio interfaces can range from around $100 up to lots more than that, with reasonable ones running around $200, for a few inputs/outputs, pre-amps, and converters.

I would suggest you download and run a freeware program called DPC Latency Checker.  It analyzes and reports on detected latency in your system, and lets you know where your computer currently stands, in terms of being able to stream audio at acceptable performance levels.  

The program can be downloaded from: 

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

There is another program called LatencyMon that does a great job of identifying resource hogs, as well.  

This program is also free, and can be obtained from: 

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Your computer may have a BUNCH of things running that also get in the way of audio streaming performance, and looking at the results of LatencyMon and also taking a look at trimming the application 'fat' would go a long way to helping your system run better when using Sonar.  Look for programs in the system tray, as well as those that are background services that are actively running, that you might not need to have running all the time.

As an example, print spooler is a service that is only needed for printing, yet it runs all the time.  There are a number of these kinds of things you can look at tweaking to optimize your computer for running programs like Sonar.

Can you please detail your system specs?  You can look at my signature at the bottom of this post for an example of listing them.  Typically, it works well for this forum for folks to add their specs to their forum profile's Signature, so that they are always present when you post.  (don't forget to check the box to tell it to always include your signature, after you add them).

So, lots above to look at - try starting with downloading and running DPC Latency Checker and/or LatencyMon, and posting back the results, along with your system specs, so that we can start helping you to isolate the cause of these dropout issues on your system.

On the bright side - this is almost ALWAYS a solvable problem, so hang in there, and let's collectively get you up and going.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Sige93
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/31 12:03:21 (permalink)
Hey Bob Bone,

First I wanna thank you for posting on my thread with such detailed information and solutions, I am really grateful for that.
Yes I use an internal sound card, I haven't bought any external hardware in the category of audio interface.
So I ran DPC latency checker and a text showed up;

"Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc."

When I run latencymon it basically says the same. It also says that it's possible that the problem is network related or power related. So it tells me I need to turn off my WLAN (wifi) for better performance or I need to go into my control panel to BIOS setup and disable my CPU throttling settings.

So this is the information I got from those programs, I hope it's of any use to you and if you need more information please tell me and I'll post it. I am completely new to all of this so I really thank you for helping me out.

Sige

Toshiba Satellite U940, i5-3337U CPU, 1,80 GHz, 4,00 GB memory, 128GB SSD, Win 8/64 bit Sonar X1 LE recording 

robert_e_bone
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/31 15:50:33 (permalink)
Yes - your wifi should be disabled when using Sonar.  You can re-enable it when you finish using Sonar.

Start with that, and then run DPC Latency Checker again and see what it thinks.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Sige93
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/31 16:22:35 (permalink)
I turned off my wifi but it still isn't working, however the DPC latency checker says my computer shouldn't have any problems.
Any other solutions?

Sige

robert_e_bone
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/31 16:44:39 (permalink)
OK - at least we made progress.  If DPC Latency Checker thinks you are good to go, then the system itself is likely OK to move forward, and we should look at settings and such.

Soooooooooo, 

Please elaborate on your above comment about "it isn't working", so I better understand where things sit now.

With Sonar NOT running, does sound play properly through Windows?

What do you have set for your default audio device for playback/recording in Windows?

IF sound plays properly through Windows when Sonar is not running, then try to go into Sonar Preferences and set the Driver Mode back to WASAPI, as you said with that mode it plays the midi file back fine (although you indicated it then does not play sound from web sites).  Please post back on whether or not midi plays back OK in Sonar.

Also, Sonar by default does not share the audio drivers with other applications, so if you have Sonar running it locks up the sound card drivers, UNLESS you check the box in Preferences Driver Settings in Sonar to tell it to share audio engine with other applications.  That might fix your issue with hearing things from the web, presumably while Sonar is running.

Please review the above and post back when you get a chance.

Bob Bone

Sige93
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/08/31 17:16:45 (permalink)
Well, first of all you fixed it! Thanks a lot.
I went to preferences and checked the box to share audio with other applications.
But I think it's kind of strange I have to change my driver mode to WASAPI in order for it to function.

But anyway thanks and I'm sure other people will find this thread very helpfull.

Sige

Sige93
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/17 16:02:38 (permalink)
Hey robert first of all I want to thank you for the help you gave me, I did some recording over the past months but the problem I have now is that i have a cracking sound when i playback my MIDI files and my AUDIO files aswell.
I hope you can get back to me soon.

Thanks in advance
Sige

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/17 16:23:41 (permalink)
It's the mobo soundchip. Many people can never get them to work. You could try increasing the buffers and test ASIO4ALL driver (free DL). MME is the poorest of all drivers, don't even expect it to work in DAW-jobs.

In that MIDI/drum discussion above what bothered me was that you never mentioned what soft synth you were using for drums. What made the sound? When you moved the recording to web, you had bounced it to audio, had you not?
MIDI has no sound, it's like digital sheet music. You need something to play it audibly. If you move a MIDI file to web it's not supposed make a sound, AFAIK. Or can you stream it directly/automatically from the web to a soft synth??

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Sige93
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/17 16:37:17 (permalink)
I am using the 'SI-drum kit' as a soft synth.
It are pre-designed MIDI tracks with already AUDIO added to the track.
And I'm sorry, but what do you mean by web?

However, thanks for responding so fast nice person from Finland.
;)

Kalle Rantaaho
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/18 01:41:38 (permalink)
Sige93

;)

WorldWideWeb = Internet

I've never heard of MIDI-tracks with "audio added to the track". I don't think such exist, or then it's the choice of words that creates confusion. Are you perhaps using Simple Instrument Tracks without actually knowing how MIDI works.
AFAIK SI-drums works like any other drum sampler. You have samples triggered by MIDI.
If you move the MIDI track elsewhere or change the MIDI routing, you have no sound. If you move the MIDI track to
the net it has no sound if you don't bounce it to audio.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
robert_e_bone
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/18 06:34:21 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho
Sige93

;)

WorldWideWeb = Internet

I've never heard of MIDI-tracks with "audio added to the track". I don't think such exist, or then it's the choice of words that creates confusion. Are you perhaps using Simple Instrument Tracks without actually knowing how MIDI works.
AFAIK SI-drums works like any other drum sampler. You have samples triggered by MIDI.
If you move the MIDI track elsewhere or change the MIDI routing, you have no sound. If you move the MIDI track to
the net it has no sound if you don't bounce it to audio.

Well, that is not quite correct.  Midi files can indeed be processed on web pages, or on computers - as midi files - without bouncing to audio first, per se.

Disclaimer: it is frightfully early, and I have had no coffee, so please do not jump on me for the ragged explanation that follows - the concept being explained is valid.

A web page can indeed contain code for an embedded Windows Media Player and will process/play a midi file, and route the midi data to play through the general midi (GM) support of the sound card for the computer, and you will hear the sound, even though it is a midi file.  There are also additional applications that do the same kind of thing with midi that Windows Media Player does, so indeed there are multiple ways one can play a midi file and hear sound - not because midi itself has any audio in a given midi file, it is simply that these applications and Windows are acting rather like soft synths by processing the midi data and creating audio data on the fly.

Bob Bone

Kalle Rantaaho
Re: SONAR X1 LE; MIDI file does not play all given instructions on specific driver mode 2013/10/19 13:09:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the explanation!

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1