Help - I'm in MIDI Hell!

Author
eutoxita
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/10/06 11:08:09 (permalink)

Help - I'm in MIDI Hell!

Hello All - this is my first post.  I use the V-Studio 700 with Sonar Producer 8.5 in my basement studio.  I am having a new MIDI issue and I'm hoping somebody can help me before I break out the soldering iron...  The progression is as follows:

1. A few weeks ago, I started having weird MIDI delay issues, where I would play notes on my controller keyboard and there would be a significant (David Gilmour "Run Like Hell"...) delay from the soft synth.
2. Concurrent with #1, I noticed weird (as in... inconsistent) dropouts during soft synth playback of already-recorded parts. If I froze the part to audio, no problem... unfreeze... problem returned.
3. Two weeks ago, I booted the system for a session and found that: a) the soft synths would not respond to my controller keyboard; b) the little "MIDI activity" icon in the Windows tray WAS blinking to show activity, however c) the midi in/out indicator lights on the VS700R were NOT blinking or lighting up at all.  I have swapped in new MIDI cables, tried other MIDI controllers, and reinstalled the V700 Windows 7 driver... all for naught.  I REALLY don't want to do a total install (especially since if this is a hardware issue - which I suspect it is not - it won't help) since I'm at the tail end of THREE album projects.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Related Threads

Chambana
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Help - I'm in MIDI Hell! 2013/10/06 12:32:15 (permalink)
    Hello,
    Although I'm not sure what type of hardware (MIDI controller) you're using with the VS-700, here's what I would suggest. This is all straight from the "getting started" user guide.

1) Be sure to always turn on every MIDI related device BEFORE you start Sonar.

2) With regards to powering up the VS-700 hardware. The user guide suggest, turning on the VS-700C BEFORE turning on the 700R interface. A prompt should come on the console saying "connecting..." that is when you turn on the 700R.  Kind of a pain, I know.

3) When you do start Sonar, go to preferences, MIDI, Devices.

4) In addition to whatever midi controller you are using make sure you have all of the VS-700 ports selected in both Inputs and Outputs EXCEPT "IO (VS-700)"  Not to be confused with "IO MIDI (VS-700)"  That one I actually do use for connecting my master MIDI keyboard controller.  If you have a different master controller, be sure it too is selected on the Inputs.

5) Regarding MIDI out ports, a good rule of thumb, if you have a lot of I/O devices is to sort related outputs in order of priority. This will help to avoid them getting re-shuffled should you for whatever reason don't use (or have turned on) a particular output device in a future session.  So for example, select all the VS-700 devices and select "Move Checked Devices to Top"

6) Once that's done, hit apply and then go to MIDI, Control Surfaces, making sure that the controller surface VS-700 1 has CONSOLE (VS-700) selected for both In and Out port.  If it's not listed there at all, you need to add it with the top right icon.

Restart and you should be in business.  Also, be sure you have the latest drivers firmware.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/s...S700_Installation.aspx

I hope that helps you out! In my case, I use many external MIDI instruments (9) 8 of which are connected through a MOTU MTP and have to say Sonar has always been rock solid for me when configured correctly.
    -
    Dan

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Help - I'm in MIDI Hell! 2013/10/06 12:37:32 (permalink)
    most obvious reasons for soft synths delay when played from the controller would be buffer settings (i'm sure you checked them?); i still recommend double checking audio card setting and ASIO buffers ...

another reason could be that you inserted a new plugin on some track that requires higher internal latency and hence delay the whole playback to be in sync with the delay of the plug (you can easily check for the by clicking the FX button in the transport, which disables all plugins; if the delay goes away, check which plug is causing it and don't use it while recording)

you didn't post any system specs, but you might be pushing your machine and hence get these problems. your pt #2 sort of indicates that ...

I'd also try to think of what you have installed recently (which may have fiddled with some settings/drivers), double-check MIDI devices in Sonar prefs, and to locate the problem, I would disconnect all other MIDI devices and see if it still happens (I just recently had a slider on the A-PRO 800 unintentionally slid to the top, which was then constantly sending MIDI signals and screwing with some console strips in Sonar, I was cursing the bloody X2a until I finally run with fewer devices and found it all working)

post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2013/10/06 12:39:14

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    eutoxita
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Help - I'm in MIDI Hell! 2013/10/07 22:37:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies Chambana and FreeFlyBertl.  Perhaps I should have said that I've been using this system for a good three years now - same system, etc.  I've definitely pushed the rig way harder before.  These are brand new issues.  I'll try your suggestions to cover my bases, but I feel like there's something else going on.  For example, the only new installs on this machine would be any Windows 7 updates.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1