Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk

Author
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
2013/10/06 18:32:15 (permalink)

Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk

Just a few observations:

When the site was down, I emailed cake for my melodyne serial number (because i was otherwise installed and running when the site crashed).
I was pretty shocked when I got an email back within an hour or two with the info I requested.  In the past, I have waited days, even weeks for a response.

I was relieved that installation was problem free, and that previous projects opened up without missing plugins and whatnot.  That can be a nightmare.

Last night, I had my first crash (white screen) during a session with a client.  To be fair, this particular client has seen more crashes in m,y studio then ANY other client, because his style of music utilizes all the bells and whistles (including Vvocal- now melodyne).  Vvocal has always been susceptible to crashes on my machines.  I always bounce those clips for that reason.  What surprised me is that when I tried to open the autosave version (which was 4 minutes newer) it said it could not because the file was truncated.   I haven't seen that in a while and I hope it's not a sign of things to come!!!  I used the 4 minute old regular version with no problem ( lost a few edits) and no one was the wiser.

I just updated to Melodyne Editor and was AMAZED that all I had to do was paste the frikin serial number and VOILA!.  I'm running it :).

Last night's session was also the first time i used the new comping- I struggled for a minute and then realized I need to click in the lower half.  It is SO MUCH FUN TO USE!  IT'S BRILLIANT!  The only strangeness was when I recorded into a track that already had comping going on (we wanted 2 more takes to work with), it recorded the first of those 2 tracks ON TOP OF one of the other comp tracks.  I was able to drag the audio into it's own lane, but, why would it do that?   User error or bug?

I can't think of anything else- just wanted to share with the community.  

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
jeebustrain
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk 2013/10/06 19:25:28 (permalink)
Not to take away from your experience, but has the buyout actually happened yet? The last I heard was about the notice of intention. If the buyout hasn't actually happened yet, it's most likely management is the same that it's been for a while.

Sonar Platinum (lifetime sub) :: Windows 8.1 Pro :: AMD FX-8350 CPU, 16GB ram :: 120GB SSD (boot), 1TB 7200rpm HDD (data/projects) :: (dual) Focusrite Saffire Pro40 (TI chipset on FW card) :: lots of plugins :: lots of various midi controllers and hardware synths :: Pearl Drums/Paiste Cymbals/Roland & Alesis Electronic pads.

My Music
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk 2013/10/07 11:20:39 (permalink)
Good point.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk 2013/10/07 14:02:25 (permalink)
Even though the deal may not be final, the "feel" around these parts certainly has changed for the better.   I only hope it's something that has been approved and encouraged by the new regime, and not just a transitional thing.   It's been quite a while since the forum has been this enjoyable and I'd really like to see it be the norm!

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk 2013/10/07 14:06:29 (permalink)
stevec
Even though the deal may not be final, the "feel" around these parts certainly has changed for the better.   I only hope it's something that has been approved and encouraged by the new regime, and not just a transitional thing.   It's been quite a while since the forum has been this enjoyable and I'd really like to see it be the norm!

+1

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Another man's impression of X3 and post Roland Cakewalk 2013/10/07 14:37:04 (permalink)
BlixYZ
The only strangeness was when I recorded into a track that already had comping going on (we wanted 2 more takes to work with), it recorded the first of those 2 tracks ON TOP OF one of the other comp tracks.  I was able to drag the audio into it's own lane, but, why would it do that?   User error or bug?

That would be a bug. It should not be possible to overlap clips in a take lane under the new world order of X3. If you create an overlap by dragging, SONAR will automatically slip-edit the existing clip to eliminate the overlap. And recording should not be able to create an overlap. But this might also be a temporary drawing error that would be corrected by closing and re-opening take lanes. In any case, if you can reproduce the sequence of events that caused that, you should report it: 

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/problemreport.aspx

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1