Is PA9 still viable with Win7?

Author
Cooltouch
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2013/10/10 13:08:09 (permalink)

Is PA9 still viable with Win7?

I ask because I own a copy that basically has not been used since I upgraded my system from Win98 to XP back in about 2002 or so.  I discovered after upgrading my OS that some important aspect of PA9 no longer functioned under Win XP -- what it was exactly I don't remember anymore -- and that Cakewalk's stance at the time was that they would not fix PA9 to work with XP but instead wanted their users to upgrade to Sonar. I had just been through a somewhat recent upgrade to go from PA8 to PA9 and I didn't have the immediate need for the software anymore, having just completed a rather large project, so I just retired Pro Audio and went on and got busy doing other things.

I am now a Sonar user, but it would be nice to know, for sentimental reasons I guess, that I could still use it. Also, as I dimly recall, there are certain functional aspects about PA9 that are simpler and easier to perform than in Sonar. Sometimes things can get too complicated for their own good.

Best,

Michael

4 Replies Related Threads

Al H
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Is PA9 still viable with Win7? 2013/10/11 11:36:56 (permalink)
    If you try to install Pro Audio 9.0 in Program Files it will fail ... install it in the root directory.  Also, it will not install if your antivirus program is active ... it must be disabled.  To get the program installed in the root directory do not accept the location of C:\Program Files when the installer asks if it is okay to install there.  Change the location to C:\ProAudio.  Turn off User Account Control during the install process. HTH  Buzz
    Cooltouch
    Re: Is PA9 still viable with Win7? 2013/10/18 11:27:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, Al.  I'll keep it handy if/when I decide to install it again. I have always installed my music software on a different drive or partition than the root. I never install the music programs in /Program files/. So tell me, do you think it will work if I install it onto my E:/ drive? That's the drive where I have all my music software installed.

Also, I wasn't having an installation issue with PA9. When I upgraded my OS, I installed XP over Win98. So I didn't have to reinstall any of my existing programs.  In the case of PA9, however, there was an important function in the program that would no longer work with XP. It's been over ten years now, and I just don't recall anymore what it was. But I do recall contacting Cakewalk and asking them about a fix or workaround. Their response was that it was a known problem, but rather than fix PA9, they were instead recommending their customers upgrade to Sonar, which was brand new and was the focus of all their energies at that time. As I mentioned in my previous message, I didn't have the immediate need for the software anymore, and really didn't feel like shelling out even more bucks just to stay in the upgrade path. So I set it aside, and the years went by quicker than I thought, so that now I just don't recall anymore the specific issue.

I just visited Cakewalk's Support area at their website and read through basically everything that had available on Pro Audio 9 to see if it might jog my memory as to the specifics, but nothing came of it.  Oh well, as I said, it's mostly for nostalgia reasons that I'd want to play around with it at all. Thanks for your help.
    post edited by Cooltouch - 2013/10/20 01:28:20

Best,

Michael
    Al H
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Is PA9 still viable with Win7? 2013/10/18 11:34:59 (permalink)
    Hi, Michael,

As long as you don't use Program Files you should be okay. Don't forget to turn off user account control and disable your antivirus.  Pro Audio 9 does not handle all the plugin stuff ... just some.  I find myself using PA9 all the time ... I like the simplicity.  BTW, I also have Sonar 2.2, 5.3 and 8.5 ... I still prefer PA9.
    HTH, Al

Cooltouch
    Re: Is PA9 still viable with Win7? 2013/10/20 01:29:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, Al. Maybe I'll give it a go again, see if it all starts coming back to me.

Best,

Michael
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1