More crashes with X3b than X2a (mostly solved: another plugin related issue)

Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2013/10/10 01:49:30 (permalink)

More crashes with X3b than X2a (mostly solved: another plugin related issue)

Hi

There are a lot of positive threads about a great X3b version, yet I don't seem to get the same stability I used to have with X2a (same system, just x3b installed).

I wonder if anybody else is in the same boat?

Yesterday I had 5 crashes in 4 hrs (!!!): one after 3 minutes when just working heavily on the jog and Cursors on the VS-700, then none for 3 hours, then 4 in 30 minutes (@ save after comping, @ clone track, @ changing audio card settings i.e. increasing ASIO buffer, @ disabling all FX globally from button in navigation bar right after reloading project) ...

None of the crashes lost me any work due to auto-save, neither required a reboot; however, still pretty "wild" and I'm glad this was a lonesome editing session ... and no, my system is not the problem, I did have about 5 crashes in the entire past 9 months (since using X2a and staying away from 32bit plugs)

Now I just had another crash: finished comping vocals, wanted to clone and archive track (in case I have to go back) before I delete muted clips ... but after cloing all my track labels were gone (???) so I tried UNDO and then Sonar left me handing there ...

post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2013/10/12 13:57:14

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 

17 Replies Related Threads

DPTrainor
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 02:14:22 (permalink)
    You might want to try and reinstall X3 over your current X3 installation.  Perhaps some file is corrupted.  And/or try running scandisk for disk errors in files / sectors.  Then reinstall X3. Other than that it would be a mystery, X3 is pretty rock solid.

Best Regards, Dan
    Sonar X3a Producer, Dell Studio XPS, 6GB RAM, 2 external Dell displays. OctaCapture Interface + too many instruments and other stuff to list...

cowboydan
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 908
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 04:22:02 (permalink)
    Has your computer been updated by Microsoft? Anything is possible.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 07:20:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for trying to help.

Further info ...
    • No Microsoft updates (DAW is off the net, so no auto-updates)
    • the project that I work with is using Kontakt 5 samples, which take about 3.4 GB RAM (out of 32 GB); K5 is updated to the latest availabe version
    • X3b was the 2nd last installed program (additive drums came after)
    • Audio drivers are same as before (were not reinstalled)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 07:26:59 (permalink)
    Sound Rehab, you might check with support and see what they can advise.

I'll say that when I'm getting repeated crashes in a project I'm usually bumping my head on the same issue repeatedly. If the issue can be identified, than the problem usually goes away.

For me, I'm not having any trouble with X3 (I know YMMV).

This is why I'm suggesting going to support to see if they can put their finger on it. Identifying the issue early could save you a lot of headaches.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 07:33:23 (permalink)
    Have you checked Reliability Monitor or Event Viewer to see what they report?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 08:13:03 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. Most users of X3 have reported vastly improved stability so this is likely some corner case. Have you submitted bug reports? Please list the CWBRN numbers and I can look at the crashes.
    Some combination of workflow and hardware could be leading to these crashes but until I see the dumps I won't know. It could also be plugin related. Do you have any waves plugins in your project for example?

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 09:36:21 (permalink)
    Just for experimentation's sake, do these crashes occur if you open a project in 'safe' mode, with no plugins loaded?

Many of the X2a and prior release crashes occur due to plugin issues, and within those, many of those are due to problems with some 32-bit plugins being loaded into projects in a 64-bit Sonar.  

BitBridge and some of the 32-bit plugins just do not seem to play nice together, and while folks have reported greater stability using 32-bit plugins with another bridging piece of software called JBridge, some 32-bit plugins can still fail in 64-bit Sonar.

IF this ends up being the culprit for you with X3b, then you might consider either swapping those 32-bit plugins out for 64-bit ones, or checking for 64-bit plugin availability for the ones you do have in 32-bit, or you could install a 32-bit version of X3b and use that one for projects that fail using 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Sonar, as 32-bit plugins will be more stable in a 32-bit Sonar.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 12:03:49 (permalink)
    I'm probably not going to like the answer, but...

Does X3b have a syslog or debug function, with the ability to enable and use it locally?? I'm genuinely asking for input here. Although I'm not currently having trouble with X3, not having this function in X2 was 50% of the reason I cursed X2 daily. I could have saved myself considerable frustration had I had this ability to review a Syslog. It's so backward to think that Support can resolve the occasional intermittent crash at the time of the incident. Crash reports don't go to Support (correct me if I'm wrong), so those don't help the user, especially if the issue isn't Sonar.
    post edited by brconflict - 2013/10/10 12:24:46

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 12:35:00 (permalink)
    brconflict
    I'm going to bust a vein if the answer it No, but...

Does X3b have a syslog or debug function, with the ability to enable and use it locally?? I'm genuinely asking for input here. Although I'm not currently having trouble with X3, not having this function in X2 was 50% of the reason I cursed X2 daily. I could have saved myself considerable frustration had I had this ability to review a Syslog. It's so backward to think that Support can resolve the occasional intermittent crash at the time of the incident. Crash reports don't go to Support (correct me if I'm wrong), so those don't help the user, especially if the issue isn't Sonar.

Brian,

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate this! This is a key feature for any power user of professional software, especially if it interfaces with 3rd party plugins and hence makes almost every system unique in some respect.

@ gswitz: I do agree that these crashes (although they seem rather random) probably have one common reason (and a user-readable log file would be killer in that respect!) ...

@ noel and bob: I had these random crashes in heavy duty projects first with X2a until I eliminated (almost) all 32bit plugs (and labelled the remaining ones with 32bit) - so there's definitely nothing 32bit used here ... but I do suspect that it might be coming from either WAVES (only a few plugs involved here, mostly S1), FabFilter (heavily used) or Kontakt 5 (2 instances) ...

I'll try to narrow down the potential troublemakers and hopefully can provide more info soon. I also need to go searching for crash dumps as Sonar just hung / froze but did not seem to write anything ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 20:39:52 (permalink)
    It could possibly be Waves. There were some extensive threads about waves issues a few days ago.
    Here is a KB article to read and troubleshoot about waves compatibility.
    My best guess is this is the problem. Please send a dump file with the crash and make sure you list the CWBRN number. Without that we are shooting in the dark here.

Regarding logging, we have very extensive logging in our beta application, but that degrades performance so its stripped out of the final release version. Windows has some event logging stuff that I have been meaning to investigate, but ultimately it will incur some finite overhead. In a realtime app like SONAR we wouldn't want to risk this. Ultimately however if you have a crash, the dump file normally has enough information to find what caused the crash in many cases.

You should be able to rule out waves by skipping all the waves plugins in your project. Another thing you can try and do is rename one of the waves shells to eliminate mixing and matching the plugins. If you rename the vst3 waveshell only the VST2 plugins will load. In X3C I have enhanced the migration code to handle some more corner cases that would potentially miss migration and lead to VST2 and VST3 waves plugins loaded which is bad. If your crashing stops by renaming the VST3 waveshell then we know that this is potentially your issue.

Noel Borthwick
    brconflict
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/10 21:16:50 (permalink)
    Noel, thanks for the response. The thing I'd like to see with syslogging is like this: It can be enabled or disabled when necessary. Filtering or levels of syslogging could be enabled, which would allow, for example, errors only, driver information only, Plug-in information only, Sonar.exe only, etc. Sometimes a crash will happen without warning, but other times it helps to see what was going on with the app just seconds before the crash. For me, this could improve my own troubleshooting with plug-ins failing, drop-outs, etc. If there's something Sonar doesn't like, we can fix it sooner than waiting until another release, coupled with this unseen error turns into an actual bug or problem later.

Windows event logs, to me, aren't typically useful for anything other than Windows, but I go through those things as well. Unix-based systems tend to thrive on syslogging and debugging tools, which is more what I'm used to.

Obviously, this would require extra code to be written to produce specific types and variances of errors, but at least, for the savvy, or even support, but it would be helpful to those of us who are willing to perform quite a bit of troubleshooting prior to calling Support, it would be handy. In my case, I work sessions at night (I have another daytime job). I'm never at my DAW during the daytime or Support hours, so that kills my access to such help.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    meh
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/11 09:47:54 (permalink)
    I did an upgrade from X2 and was having alot of crashes caused by Amplitude.  Since that was pointed out to me in a different post I have gone into my existing projects , deleted the Amplitude plug in saved and then re added the plug in and I no longer crash as much.  Like the upgrade didn't handle the plugin well.

FYI

SONAR Version 2017.09
    HP Z-420 Workstation
    Intel Xeon W3680 @3.50ghz 
    32g memory
    2tb disk space 
    Win2008 Server R2 Standard 64-bit
    TASCAM US-1641 interface
    Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/11 10:05:42 (permalink)
    meh
    I did an upgrade from X2 and was having alot of crashes caused by Amplitude.  Since that was pointed out to me in a different post I have gone into my existing projects , deleted the Amplitude plug in saved and then re added the plug in and I no longer crash as much.  Like the upgrade didn't handle the plugin well.

FYI

FWIW, that crash was in no way whatsoever related to X3. The crash data goes back to X1 Producer Expanded actually (since we started the automated Fault Reporter). I've tried reaching out again to see if I can find someone at IK Multimedia who can make use of the collected info (we can't proceed any further since it's not our product obviously and therefore have no source code etc.).

One thing I've personally picked up from looking at a lot of the fault reporting data we capture is that a lot of repeat offenders tend to be third-party plug-ins that are out of our hands. Noel and the rest of the guys have been pretty on top of squashing stability bugs in SONAR itself. VST3 implementation has sparked a new interest from plug-in devs in SONAR though, so this is excellent for all users alike since we've been communicating a lot with other companies. 

I have a few ideas rolling around in the back of my head regarding improvements to fault reports and how we can return some relevant information to customers more easily. For example, I would have loved you to have seen that a bunch of those reports referenced Amplitube 3 as the crash so you could have analyzed it without any interaction from Cakewalk and need to dig through crazy log files. I think we can get closer to that in the not so distant future :)

Ryan Munnis
    Cakewalk
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/11 10:30:29 (permalink)
    Brian we already have all of that and more in our beta builds, with specific logging granularity controls. Its pretty sophisticated and testers can turn off all logging or just specific elements. However even with all logging disabled there is a finite cost - I'd say easly a 15-20% hit in some code. There are extra conditional checks in the code and different things computed in logging enabled build so its definitely not something we'd want to ship with without careful thought. 

>>Windows event logs, to me, aren't typically useful for anything other than Windows, but I go through those things as well. 

I wasn't talking about the windows event logs. I'm referring to newer logging API called event tracing that was first added in Vista. This is a lightweight built in trace mechanism and designed for runtime logging. It creates compact binary etl files that can only be decoded by the vendor. If we do something it would be along those lines. However I need to evaluate the cost of this as well - nothing is CPU free and in realtime applications this is an important consideration.   

Noel Borthwick
    brconflict
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/11 11:00:42 (permalink)
    Could the logging function be installed as a separate app which interfaces with Sonar? One that could be uninstalled after an issue has been resolved and the program could use some efficiency. A simple toaster message could inform the user that it's running on ever start of Sonar.

If it's just too much to be worth it, I understand. I wasn't invited to test the Beta versions, so I'm not familiar with the facilities those have, but maybe there's some way that error messages can be understood by the user. For example, if a crash was caused by a plug-in, Cakewalk would be able to decipher that, but the user may never know, and it does take a long time for crash-responses from Cakewalk. It's frustrating to wait on something like that and still never knowing the outcome because Cakewalk doesn't share that information or inform the user what the issue might be without calling Support.

Thanks!
    post edited by brconflict - 2013/10/11 11:17:48

Brian

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/12 14:12:52 (permalink)
    Hi guys.

First of all, thanks a lot for all your help. I'm also very happy to get direct support from Cakewalk staff. Very cool!

I've updated the thread title as the situation has improved a lot already. I think I've narrowed down the reasons for my stability problems (yes, once more the plugins!)

Here's what I've found / changed:
    • Despite saying I don't use 32 bit plugs, there was one left in a muted backup track in a scratch track subfolder. The reason it did not cause problems in X2a was that it was configured to use jBridge. The new plug-in scan and the recommendation to reset all plugs changed that back to BitBridge. I had read that but unfortunately forgot it in the heat (sorry!) ... so once I had found that troublemaker, the random crashes were gone ...
    • I got 2 more crashes when fiddling with FabFilter plugs while at heavy load and playback (e.g. changing oversampling). This made me discover that the FabFilter plugs were not auto-upgraded to VST3 although present in my system , probably because there are more VST2 plugs with slightly different names (e.g *SC ) than there FF VST3 plugs. So I manually replaced all FF VST2 with FF VST3 and dialed the same settings and since then no more crashes (fingers crossed it stays like this!)
    • One more thing I had to do was to manually upgraded my custom plugin layouts as they did not longer display the WAVES VST2 plugs (which was a bit cumbersome as I have quite a few now), but now there's basically no way to mix VST2 and VST3 which did eliminate the WAVES GUI issues  I saw earlier...

Been mixing for a couple of hours ... no glitches, no crashes ... Times are good again!

Thanks again, Cake, and all the other helpful souls out there!

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: More crashes with X3b than X2a 2013/10/12 14:40:47 (permalink)
    Excellent, I'm glad you were able to troubleshoot this! It can get very complicated with all the permutations of plugins you can have. I've posted this in some other threads but here is a link to a KB article that describes the Waves issue.

Now regarding the Fabfilter plugins, they do not support auto upgrading. You can talk to the vendor if you would like that capability. The tricky thing is that auto migration has to be planned in advance by the vendor, since it requires the VST3 guids to be authored in a very specific way. If the vendor already has shipping VST3 plugins it would be hard to change since it would break compatibility. OTOH Fabfilter doesn't have any problems running both VST2 and VST3 versions at the same time.
    I'd be interested in knowing what crash you had with the older VST2 Fabfilter plugins since we havent seen issues with them.

As I posted on the other thread I will look into auto migrating plugin layouts that contain migratable VST2 plugins so you won't necessarily have to reauthor older layouts containing waves plugins.

Noel Borthwick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1