Helpful Reply(SOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing?

Author
Etmos
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2013/10/18 22:42:44 (permalink)

(SOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing?

I'm just curious if there is an easy way to do this...

I have a bass track, a piano track, and a synth/pad... They are all done with midi... The bass track is synced with live drums tracks via trigger-to-midi... Basically every time the kick or snare hit, a bass note is played...

I would like to now go back through, and sort of quantize / sync up the piano & synth pad with the bass track... I would LIKE to be able to view Multiple Piano Roll windows simultaneously, so that I can see the start & stop points for multiple tracks, and manually line them up where I need them to be.  As it stands, I have to open one track, click the timeline where the note starts, go back and open up another track, edit the note lengths, go back out to the first track, click the timeline again where the next note starts, go back out and open up the second track, and align that note, etc...

I feel like I'm probably missing some sort of handy functionality here, but since about 95% of the stuff I do is just live audio recordings through microphones (drums, guitars, etc...) I'm not AS fluent with all of the midi / piano roll options available.  Any suggestions on an easy way to do this?  I already have the "snap to midi" set as the only option so that I won't have to worry about it trying to match a tempo map that doesn't exist for this live track.  But when you're trying to "snap to midi" and the midi you're trying to snap to sometimes plays 16th notes, and you're trying to only snap to quarter notes, etc... It's just not quite working the way I'd like.

Not sure if I described my problem well enough, but if anyone needs clarification on anything, just let me know.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

EDIT:
The short question is... "is there any way to open multiple piano roll views simultaneously?  Or are you limited to only one track open at a time in piano roll view?"

EDIT #2:
Oooooh, nevermind... When the piano roll view is open, there is a "Track" menu, if you click that, then you have the option to "Show All Tracks"... That did the trick... I don't know why, but I always overlook those small menus inside the various views... (like the menu inside the track view)... Lots of handy features...
post edited by Etmos - 2013/10/19 03:13:25
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: (SOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/18 23:29:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2013/10/18 23:48:45
Yes, it pays to spend some time looking through all the menus to see what's there for future reference.

Check out the Pick Tracks option in that same menu. That let's you Ctrl-click only the MIDI tracks you need to see in the PRV. And make sure you go View > Show Track Pane, which gives you a pane at the right end of the PRV where you can change the focused track, mute and solo, and show/hide notes from each track without having to remove it from the PRV altogether if things get too busy or overlapping. You can also lock tracks against editing them inadvertently.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
kelsoz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: (SOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/18 23:39:05 (permalink)
I do this all the time.  I set up a key binding for "pick tracks" and a few of the other menu picks - a real time saver.

kelsoz

Dell Desktop PC / Win7 HomePrem 64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB / 1 TB / E-MU1616 PCI+Realtek PC Audio / Event 6 Pro Monitors / BIAB 2012.5 / Sonar X3c/64 Bld 216
satyatunes
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: (SOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 00:38:31 (permalink)
If you want to align notes of multiple midi tracks, try inline midi editing:

I just threw in two midi tracks for the screen shot. You can even align with audio files. Huge time saver. In order to see this select "notes" in the track drop down menu. I keep it like this while working on a track and until I bounce to audio. Screen real estate matters a lot. If you have a bigger display then go for it.
Etmos
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 02:20:52 (permalink)
Thanks everybody!  The show/hide track pane is definitely useful for what I'm wanting to do, and the "pick tracks" option is awesome too.  Both with definitely come in handy.  Ideally though, what I was HOPING to do, is that "Inline" thing you're talking about Satya... I can't figure out how you did it though.  I already have it set to show "Notes", so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.  How did you get two midi files to stack on top of each other like that?  I can get them to stack/overlap each other, in a single piano roll, using the "pick tracks" and options like that, but I don't know how to separate them so I can have different instruments, stacked on top of each other like in your example. 

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  (And for the record, are you using X3b?)  I know some of the menus have changed a little bit since previous versions... Just making sure we're on the same page.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 02:29:53 (permalink)
Etmos
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 02:53:48 (permalink)
scook
displaying inline prv http://www.cakewalk.com/D...eq=EditingMIDI.27.html

Ooooooooooooh... I was double clicking, and dragging, and doing everything I could to make that happen INSIDE the Piano Roll view... That wasn't getting me anywhere... Once I held down CTRL and then double clicked on a midi track in the Track View window, then it all basically worked (and opened it up in a separate piano roll window).  So that will work.  I still don't think I'm getting it like Satya had it in the picture he posted, but this will work for now I guess.

Am I correct in assuming in HIS example, there are 3 tracks stacked (2 are midi) in a single window?  (So that if you zoom in on one, it will zoom in on all of them?)  If that's the case, then I can't figure that out.  I'm not sure why I'm having so much difficulty with this.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 03:01:29 (permalink)
It is the main track view with one audio track and two MIDI tracks. The MIDI tracks have their edit filters set to notes which enables the inline PRV. So it is all happening in the track view. Zoom will work like it always does.

Etmos
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 03:12:53 (permalink)
Oooooooooooooooooooooh... Ok, sorry about that hassle there... I've only used the "Clips" menu or whatever in the Track View a couple of times, and that was just to switch to Audio Transients... For some reason I wasn't even CONSIDERING the fact that there would be an option there to switch that to piano roll WITHIN the track view... I get it now, thank you very much!  Problem officially solved.
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 09:08:55 (permalink)
Just a quick tip... if you ever need to do this, yes, you can open multiple PRV views. After you open the first PRV, right-click its tab in the MultiDock and choose Lock Contents. Now you can open another PRV, and so on following the same steps.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com - SONAR X2 Power! - http://garrigus.com/?SonarX2Power
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
* Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
* Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview
post edited by garrigus - 2013/10/19 10:44:06
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 09:41:53 (permalink)
If you are just aligning notes of one track to another, i.e. you are duplicating the "feel" of one track in another, it might be interesting to look into "Groove Quantize".
satyatunes
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: (UNSOLVED) Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2013/10/19 12:20:39 (permalink)
Etmos
Oooooooooooooooooooooh... Ok, sorry about that hassle there... I've only used the "Clips" menu or whatever in the Track View a couple of times, and that was just to switch to Audio Transients... For some reason I wasn't even CONSIDERING the fact that there would be an option there to switch that to piano roll WITHIN the track view... I get it now, thank you very much!  Problem officially solved.

I thought you would be able to figure it out. My bad, I should've been clear. Also, I couldn't get to this thread earlier because of time difference. Anyway, all is well that ends well. I am glad that your problem is officially solved. Enjoy!
NormantheMusician
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2018/02/21 19:05:33 (permalink)
This does work, but what I'd really like to be able to do is to have two separate piano roll tracks visible.
When using key switches with EastWest or Vilharmonic, these use very low notes, and this makes it difficult to see the instrument notes AND the very low notes at the same time unless you zoom out a great deal.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2018/02/22 13:05:30 (permalink)
This thread is 5 years old. A lot has changed since.
You can open 2 instances of the piano roll to keep a certain view locked.

1 - Open one piano roll. Place it where you'd like.
2 - Right click on the piano roll view dock tab and choose "Lock contents".
3 - Open another piano roll view tab and repeat steps 1 + 2.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2018/02/22 19:59:34 (permalink)
NormantheMusician
This does work, but what I'd really like to be able to do is to have two separate piano roll tracks visible.
When using key switches with EastWest or Vilharmonic, these use very low notes, and this makes it difficult to see the instrument notes AND the very low notes at the same time unless you zoom out a great deal.

Create a drum map for your keyswitches.
You can view this simultaneously with your actual notes one above the other in the same prv

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
NormantheMusician
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2018/03/09 10:39:42 (permalink)
Thank you very much !

It almost worked - oddly enough I have to do this when the piano roll is fixed within the Sonar window rather than floating as the option to lock it doesn't seem to be there if it is already floating.

Solved the issue
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Multi-Track Piano Roll Editing? 2018/03/09 13:44:47 (permalink)
NormantheMusician
Thank you very much !

It almost worked - oddly enough I have to do this when the piano roll is fixed within the Sonar window rather than floating as the option to lock it doesn't seem to be there if it is already floating.

Solved the issue

Yes, moving the dock to a different screen can be a little squirrely sometimes.
Glad to see locking the dock tabs helped. 

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1