Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users:

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2013/10/18 23:33:05 (permalink)

Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users:

Hey all,
I've made quite a few purchases from Big Fish Audio over the years, including their KLI Construction Kit series.  If you don't know what those are, it would be simpler to go to BFA website and read about them, than for me to try and explain what they are and how they work.

Admittedly, I've never been a big user of loops when writing songs, I prefer samplers and creating the parts myself.  But when I'm in a writing slump or need some new ideas, I'll usually find great inspiration (and actual song parts) from these Construction Kits.

The way I've used these kits in the past is just to hold down the corresponding keys while recording via Kontakt on to Sonar.  But I find it clumsy and awkward to find the corresponding parts (verse, chorus, ending, for each instrument) that span across a full 88-key keyboard.  And then switching to a second continuous part LIVE is even more difficult.   I know I could lay down one track/instrument at a time, or move the corresponding audio loop into the timeline, but I can't help but feel I might be missing an easier way of doing this.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.  Thanks!!!

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Leee
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2013/10/19 16:47:39 (permalink)
Hmmm.... I'm guessing there are no KLI Construction Kit users here.  Either that or my question is beyond any kind of help?
It's funny because all of the tutorials for these products never actually show or mention how people use them with a DAW.  They usually discuss how to install these products and show how the various parts are laid out, but never how to work with them in laying down tracks in a DAW.

Oh and one more thing.....(bump)

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
darrenpatrick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2014/08/05 14:38:09 (permalink)
I too am considering to venture into KLI construction kits. I'm just curious if they are midi or wave files and can you use construction kits from other suppliers? I also have Melodyne but find it not so user friendly when it comes to manipulating loops.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2014/08/05 14:57:59 (permalink)
You might get better responses in a different Cakewalk forum, such as:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Techniques-f9.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Software-f39.aspx

This forum is really for Sonar X-series questions and issues.  Please do try those other 2 forums, and hopefully some folks there will be able to discuss things there.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Matt
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2014/08/05 16:05:31 (permalink)
I'm not sure I understand the original question correctly.  But if I do, you may be buying the wrong format.  I have virtually every KLI instrument Big Fish sells but I've bought them all in ACID/WAV format.  Sonar, more than any other DAW that I know, is just about perfect for working with audio wave files and acid loops.  With the time/pitch stretching capabilities and ability to audition loops at tempo and a million other tiny things like splitting at zero.  It's like it was designed just for that purpose.  Yes Sonar works with Kontakt just fine, but using loops in Kontakt is a pain.  Plus with audio loops you can visually see what you're getting and you can start and stop from any point within the loop.  For the same price, instead of buying Kontakt loops buy the acid loops.  Sorry that doesn't really help much.
darrenpatrick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2014/08/05 21:56:04 (permalink)
Thanks, I just purchased and viewed two videos from Groove 3 and I think you are right. It's a bit over kill for me. I think I will just get the acid audio construction loops. The one thing I noticed with loops from Band on Demand is that lets say you select samples and place them in your DAW, you close the project and then continue a few days later. Now lets say you want to add a particular loop from the same folder. There is no way to go directly back to the folder that you got the first selections from.Each loop should be named in such a way that right clicking on it when in your track will tell you which folder it came from so that you can select others that are at same volume, pitch etc. I have to note where each loop comes from on paper so that I can return without having to audition through every folder. Anyone else experience this or am I missing somthing?
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2017/08/23 02:23:32 (permalink)
Venturing into KLI (now version 3.0) myself. Not that much into loops but this KLI engine seems to unloop them, so to speak, and send them into sample territory. Any thoughts?

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2017/08/23 22:07:47 (permalink)
Leee
Hey all,
I've made quite a few purchases from Big Fish Audio over the years, including their KLI Construction Kit series.  If you don't know what those are, it would be simpler to go to BFA website and read about them, than for me to try and explain what they are and how they work.

Admittedly, I've never been a big user of loops when writing songs, I prefer samplers and creating the parts myself.  But when I'm in a writing slump or need some new ideas, I'll usually find great inspiration (and actual song parts) from these Construction Kits.

The way I've used these kits in the past is just to hold down the corresponding keys while recording via Kontakt on to Sonar.  But I find it clumsy and awkward to find the corresponding parts (verse, chorus, ending, for each instrument) that span across a full 88-key keyboard.  And then switching to a second continuous part LIVE is even more difficult.   I know I could lay down one track/instrument at a time, or move the corresponding audio loop into the timeline, but I can't help but feel I might be missing an easier way of doing this.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.  Thanks!!!

Leee,

In the "samples" directory you find folders for each song. That will contain the wav files with names like "dums_verse_1" or guitar_1_verse_1"

You can drop those samples into an audio track in SONAR.  The downside is you lose the benefit of the Kontakt tools such as tuning and tempo. The upside is you can always use those wav files as starting point to locate the right midi key to trigger the part if you want to do some tempo and tuning in Kontakt.
Leee
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2017/08/24 06:17:52 (permalink)
bapu,
That's exactly what I've been doing.  But it's time consuming, and I just thought there would be a quicker, easier way to work within Kontakt to lay down these samples.  You have to open up quite a few sub-windows in Kontakt to get the information of each sample.  For example, what part (verse, chorus, etc) each key corresponds to, the length of each sample, and what instrument it triggers.  Even with a dual screen setup, it's difficult to have all that information available and still play the parts live while the song is running.

The alternative, as you said, is find the files on your computer, and manually place them in Sonar.  It's much more precise, but more time consuming and not really how they are meant to be used.

Lee Shapiro

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Question for Big Fish Audio - KLI "Construction Kit" series users: 2017/08/24 18:09:28 (permalink)
Remind me not to revive a thread ;)

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1