I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input

Author
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
2013/10/23 11:20:30 (permalink)

I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input

Let me briefly explain my dilemma.  I recently bought a Samsung Ativ book 6, which I had no luck with.  First unit had a bad USB port, second unit had a bad SODIMM slot, Third one had a bad SATA controller.  I was done so I went back and got an HP Envy Touchbook which I am very happy with.

Now my issue is that all of the USB ports are USB 3.0, using the Intel chipset.  Apparently unbeknownst to me, my interface the AudioBox 1818VSL does not support the Intel chipset, you get pops, clicks and distortion.  PreSonus says it's an Intel problem but I've seen various people on their forums, say that other USB 2.0 interfaces work with that chipset and that PreSonus isn't going to spend money developing an updated driver until the new interfaces come out.

I've determined that I'm going to sell my AudioBox, and get a different interface.  My question is, I'm trying to decide between the octacapture and the Focusrite 18i20.    I've heard that both work with the Intel USB 3.0 chipset with no problems, but I would like to know if anyone is using this setup now and can confirm that.

Or if you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate that!

Thanks in advance!

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers

4 Replies Related Threads

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input 2013/10/23 21:53:49 (permalink)
    One of the issue's that spooked me off of PreSonus when choosing my first (decent) audio interface was that PreSonus' VSL effects processing, as I understand it, runs as part of the USB stack - it's not a DSP process inside the box. I'm a software engineer, and I'd be afraid to make that design decision if there were even a slight chance in hell I'd have to sit on the support line. It's cool that we can mooch a bit processor time in drivers, but most drivers are layered. A lower layer driver may respond differently upsetting available time expectations, and even the hardware might not actually exist (i.e. VMware)....

I'd have to know more about the Intel USB 3.0 design to know for sure - but first guess is that PreSonus was taking advantage of an undocumented behavior in the USB stack, and got (expectedly) bit.

FWIW, I went with MOTU - (monitor FX in the box, not the PC) - issue solved.

laudem Deo
    denverdrummer
    Re: I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input 2013/10/24 11:17:23 (permalink)
    Thanks, MOTU makes some great stuff, I'll check that one out.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input 2013/10/25 10:48:54 (permalink)
    denverdrummer
    Let me briefly explain my dilemma.  I recently bought a Samsung Ativ book 6, which I had no luck with.  First unit had a bad USB port, second unit had a bad SODIMM slot, Third one had a bad SATA controller.  I was done so I went back and got an HP Envy Touchbook which I am very happy with.

Now my issue is that all of the USB ports are USB 3.0, using the Intel chipset.  Apparently unbeknownst to me, my interface the AudioBox 1818VSL does not support the Intel chipset, you get pops, clicks and distortion.  PreSonus says it's an Intel problem but I've seen various people on their forums, say that other USB 2.0 interfaces work with that chipset and that PreSonus isn't going to spend money developing an updated driver until the new interfaces come out.

I've determined that I'm going to sell my AudioBox, and get a different interface.  My question is, I'm trying to decide between the octacapture and the Focusrite 18i20.    I've heard that both work with the Intel USB 3.0 chipset with no problems, but I would like to know if anyone is using this setup now and can confirm that.

Or if you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate that!

Thanks in advance!

I too ran into this, but was fortunate that it was with a desktop and was able to bypass the USB3 controller. Have you tried using a USB 2 hub plugged into your laptop's USB3 ports? I've read that some VSL users have been able to get things working smoothly this way.

Best of luck!
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    denverdrummer
    Re: I'm done with PreSonus, but need your input 2013/10/25 12:19:13 (permalink)
    I've not tried that.  Thanks I will give that a shot.  I plan on selling the interface, but at least it will give me a temporary work around.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1