Sonar X3 comping soloing disable?

Author
elvisish
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2013/11/23 17:14:06 (permalink)

Sonar X3 comping soloing disable?

Hi there, enjoying the new VST3 functionality, hate the new comping clip soloing when I select a clip. I figured out how to switch to Sound-on-sound, as was the workflow of X2, however I cannot seem to disable this awful soloing of a selected clip on a track, and then having to manually un-mute each of the individual clips. This could also be potentially dangerous to my arrangements as I may forget to check every single clip has been un-muted, and may end up with clips that haven't been un-muted when I bounce my masters. Any ideas how to do this?

Also, when I ctl+drag a clip from one track to another, no matter which lane it is on, it deletes whatever is in the current track, whereas X2 just placed it onto the lane I dragged it onto without replacing anything. I must once again mention that I have switch it to sound-on-sound recording mode rather than overlap.
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/23 19:03:43 (permalink)
The soloing of clips is a Comp tool function. The Smart tool becomes the Comp tool only in the lower half of a clip. You'll just need to learn to stay away from the bottom half of the clip with the Smart tool and watch out for the Comp tool cursor.

And X3 strictly disallows clip overlaps in the same lane so if you drop a clip on top of another in the same lane, the existing clip will automatically be be slip-edited out of the way. If the overlap is complete, it can be slip-edited into oblivion. I reported this an undesirable behavior, but it's pretty easily avoided or undone. I also suggested that if a user has the Blend mode selected for drag and drop that SONAR should automatically create a new lane when overlaps are created and put the clip in that lane. As it stands, Blend behaves no differently than Replace. In the mean time, if you want clips to overlap for sound-on-sound playback, you need to create a new lane for the overlapping clip before you drag it.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
elvisish
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/23 19:33:14 (permalink)
Okay, thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate your thoughts on this, I'm just surprised there's no way to override either of these new functions for those of us totally happy with the X2 workflow. I have no idea why Sonar thinks we should do everything the way they tell us to, but I was perfectly happy with how it was. I know I'm going to get a lot of 'oh, you'll get used to it' but there's absolutely nor reason on earth why I should, regardless of whether or not it supposedly makes sense as a way of working or not. I mean, if it made so much sense to do things this way, why did they sell so many versions in the past where it functioned how it was doing? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better or how it should exclusively be. I put up with X2 changing it from dragging the lower half of the clip to dragging the upper half, something I didn't want to get used to but did eventually, but I still don't see why this new comping/smart tool/lane overwriting workflow is better?
dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/23 20:26:00 (permalink)
elvisish
Okay, thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate your thoughts on this, I'm just surprised there's no way to override either of these new functions for those of us totally happy with the X2 workflow. I have no idea why Sonar thinks we should do everything the way they tell us to, but I was perfectly happy with how it was. I know I'm going to get a lot of 'oh, you'll get used to it' but there's absolutely nor reason on earth why I should, regardless of whether or not it supposedly makes sense as a way of working or not. I mean, if it made so much sense to do things this way, why did they sell so many versions in the past where it functioned how it was doing? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better or how it should exclusively be. I put up with X2 changing it from dragging the lower half of the clip to dragging the upper half, something I didn't want to get used to but did eventually, but I still don't see why this new comping/smart tool/lane overwriting workflow is better?

A lot of people myself included didn't like the way lanes worked in X2, they are way better now IMO.  If you did comping I think you would see why it is a better workflow.  I've never been one to do much comping but it is so quick and easy in X3 I've started using the feature.  Using Lanes as Tracks like you are still works fine if you do as brundlefly posted, though for that use I think Tracks would be a much better solution.  

Dan 

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
elvisish
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/24 13:36:42 (permalink)
Thanks for the advice, I'll just for now stay away from clicking the lower half of the click and making a new lane for any dragged clips. There is no way of disabling the smart tool turning into the comp tool currently?
dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/24 20:27:20 (permalink)
If you select the Select tool or Move tool, then you effectively disable the smart tool and the comping with it.

Dan

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
elvisish
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/25 04:47:22 (permalink)
dke
If you select the Select tool or Move tool, then you effectively disable the smart tool and the comping with it.

Dan

I have been doing this, however it's driving me insane trying to hotkey between various different tools when really the smart tool sufficed perfectly as it was. So seriously, no way of having Sonar mute all clips when I accidental click the lower half of a clip? I mean, c'mon.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/25 13:17:02 (permalink)
As others have stated, what X3 offers for comping is so much better for the majority of SONAR users vs. how X2 worked, that I can't imagine CW adding code just to disable it. 

That said, it sounds as though tracks vs. lanes and folders vs. tracks might be a better fit for your workflow?

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/25 13:35:30 (permalink)
stevec

As others have stated, what X3 offers for comping is so much better for the majority of SONAR users vs. how X2 worked, 

Agreed

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
elvisish
Re: Sonar X3 comping soloing disable? 2013/11/26 10:04:48 (permalink)
Okay, is there a QUICK way of getting all the clips that have been muted by this comping tool when one selects a clip, unmuted again? Without having to resort to manually selecting and pressing k?
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1