X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions

Author
midi_controller
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/12/26 11:54:38 (permalink)

X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions

I've been thinking about upgrading to X3 and had a couple of questions. I tried Cakewalk support over a month ago but got no response, so I thought I'd ask here.

1) I know when X3 first came out it's VST3 support did not work properly with Vienna Ensemble Pro, mainly the multiple MIDI ports. Has this been fixed as of any of the updates?

2) Does X3 support track sub-folders (folders within folders) yet? If not, get on that Cakewalk!

3) I've read that X3 is supposed to be faster, and I know from experience that X2 can really start slowing down when working on an extremely large (300+ tracks) template. Would this be noticeably improved?

Any help here would be great! Thanks in advance!

6 Replies Related Threads

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2013/12/26 15:27:25 (permalink)
    Re 1 - its not a bug fix its a feature request. We have to update the app to support multi-input port virtual instruments which requires user interface updates among various other things. We don't have a timeline to do this but we intend adding multport virtual instrument support at some point.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    BluerecordingStudios
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 916
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2013/12/27 02:47:40 (permalink)
    I hope it will be soon, as this feature is so important in workflow.
    bentleyousley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2013/12/27 10:33:08 (permalink)
    midi_controller
    I've been thinking about upgrading to X3 and had a couple of questions. I tried Cakewalk support over a month ago but got no response, so I thought I'd ask here.

1) I know when X3 first came out it's VST3 support did not work properly with Vienna Ensemble Pro, mainly the multiple MIDI ports. Has this been fixed as of any of the updates?

I use several large templates that were created using the VEP Event Input plugin. The Event Input allows more than 16 midi channels of midi input to be directed at an instance of VEP. This is a standard work-around for DAWs without VST3 multi-input support.

This works very well if you are searching for a way to use Sonar X3d with large orchestral templates across multiple machines. If you are already familiar with creating Metaframes in VEP, this is very easy to implement and will get you where you need to be (until Sonar is VST3/multi-input compatible.)

Once and Future Cities: A Fractal Journey https://youtu.be/j6JkKmh4wXY
    midi_controller
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2013/12/28 14:53:00 (permalink)
    The problem with using the Event Input plug-in is that it is INCREDIBLY buggy. In SONAR X2 and verified to even be a problem with Digital Performer, only about 80% of the notes sent through it actually respond. As far as I know, there is no work around for this issue, besides pretty much having one instance for every MIDI port you need.

Of course, the other problem is that I can already do this with X2, as since that is the primary reason for me to upgrade, it looks like I'll hold off until they get that aspect of VST3 working. To the Cakewalk people: When you get it fixed, please make sure to specify that it is fixed in your update notes, I'll be watching for it!

Can you add folders within folders in X3 though? Would really help with my insane templates.
    bentleyousley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2013/12/29 13:39:31 (permalink)
    Sorry you are having such problems with VEP and Sonar X2. I saw your posts on the Vienna and v.i. forums. Looks like you've been struggling with this for some time. I'm using VEP differently in that I use other machines to host the VEP server (not hosting both the Server and Client on the same machine.) Just a shot in the dark - I remember having some problem with Play and Kontakt not playing well together in the same VEP instance. I have my current Metaframes set up to segregate Play and Kontakt into different instances. May not be a problem with recent Play updates, just a suggestion to try. Good luck!

Once and Future Cities: A Fractal Journey https://youtu.be/j6JkKmh4wXY
    mdages
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: X3 Vienna Ensemble Pro Support and Other Questions 2014/10/10 08:15:04 (permalink)
    Adressing multiple MIDI Ports is a feature of VST3 and a ordinare VST3 implementation have to support this.
    So in my opinion this is more a bug of X3. All other DAW's with VST3 support can connect to multiple midi ports, Sonar X3 is the only one that can't. So this must be a top priority thing.

The request in this thread is about nearly 1 year old and nothing changed. :-(

-Markus
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1