Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture

Author
WVought
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
2013/12/30 22:23:25 (permalink)

Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture

1. Yesterday I started having a problem which I believe is related to Melodyne Editor...I can't access any project files which use Melodyne unless I start them in safe mode and disable the Melodyne module. If I don't do this, Sonar shows me a message stating that the Melodyne module (Melodyne.vst3) has failed, and Sonar then crashes.

I spent quite a while on the phone with tech support today. The technician suggested I uninstall all of my C++ files, then download new  C++ files and reinstall. I did that, but the problem remains. Then (of my own accord since it was after hours for tech support) I uninstalled Sonar X3 completely, and reinstalled Sonar X3, then updated to X3d. Still no progress. I have the latest update from Melodyne.

2. My Roland Octa-Capture audio interface is intermittently not being recognized by Sonar (both before and after the Sonar reinstall). I uninstalled the OC driver, then reinstalled it. Still no good. I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, turning it on and off, etc...mostly no good, although sometimes Sonar does see the device. The unit tells me it's online, but usually Sonar can't see it. Most of the time Windows sees it, as evidenced by the sound one hears when plugging in or turning on a USB device, but Sonar can't see it. Occasionally Sonar does recognize it and tells me it wants to add the device,  but after I agree, Sonar generally still doesn't see the OC. I check in the Preferences/Audio Devices, but no devices are shown.

For some reason today the Windows Media Player, which I have always had set to use the computer's onboard speakers, started using my Yamaha studio monitors. This means it was accessing the OC, and I thought maybe the WMP and Sonar were fighting over the OC driver. So I switched the WMP back to its original setting (using the onboard speakers), but Sonar still can't see the OC.

I don't know if these problems are related. Also, I use Adobe CS6, and yesterday I applied updates to several programs in that suite. Maybe something in those updates screwed with Sonar? Who knows?

I'm using Win7 (64 bit) Home Premium SP1 on an Acer 7551-7422, QuadCore, 2.20 GHz, 6GB of RAM.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 02:25:15 (permalink)
I have my on-board sound enabled in Windows (some folks disable theirs), with Windows sounds turned off.  Sonar uses my audio interface in ASIO mode, and all other applications that process sounds use the on-board graphics, like playing YouTube videos or using Windows Media Player.  Works fine.

I mention the above because if I have my speakers unplugged from the computer, then even though the on-board sound is the Windows default audio device, Windows will change the current audio device to be the Presonus audio interface.  This then makes it impossible to use both Sonar and any other sound application, such as Windows Media Player, if WMP is opened first then Sonar will not have access to the audio interface.

So, I am wondering if you make sure that your on-board sound is indeed your Windows default audio device, AND that you have your speakers plugged in, and THEN fire up Sonar and see what happens.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 05:06:47 (permalink)
You say these problems started yesterday... It might be worth rolling back your system with System Restore to two days ago -- or whatever the earliest available time there is to restore.

Of course, if you do this, the downside is you will lose all of the updates and changes you made since yesterday.   If it works though, you'll at least be better off, and can experiment with System Restore to figure out what changes caused the problems.  (I suspect this started with the Adobe updates.  Ideally, there will be a restore point just before those you can go back to). 

In theory, you can undo any system restore, so if it doesn't work, you can return to the present state (such as it is).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 06:21:23 (permalink)
JonD's recommendation is a good one... when you select a restore point you can click the "Scan for affected programs" and it will tell you what updates/installs Windows will remove. It will not affect data files you have, only program updates. A few people have had issues like this and no one knows what changes caused this (yet), so if you could let us know that would be greatly appreciated.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
alm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 08:03:27 (permalink)
I am having a similar problem with a Roland Studio Capture and X3d - Sonar simply doesn't "see" the Studio Capture. Have tried same remedies, usually rebooting the Studio capture does the trick but oh the tedium.
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 08:16:44 (permalink)
 I uninstalled Sonar X3 completely, and reinstalled Sonar X3, then updated to X3d. Still no progress.

Could you detail exactly how you did this?

Unless you went into the registry and deleted a couple of keys, the re-install might have exactly the same problem as your old setup

These are the keys you need to delete:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X3

If you're not comfortable editing the Registry, be sure to back it up before you start

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 09:28:29 (permalink)
@Robert:

I followed your suggestion, but Sonar still finds the Octa-Capture only intermittently. And I'm actually not sure that wasn't the way I had the sound settings all along.

Thanks for your suggestion.

WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 09:31:01 (permalink)
@JonD:

I found a restore point for 12/26, which is prior to recent changes, and applied it. However, both problems remain, so I undid the system restore.

Good idea, though...thanks.

WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 09:34:47 (permalink)
@Bristol:

I did not manually change/delete any registry keys when I uninstalled Sonar. I think this will be my next step. I plan to uninstall X3, delete the keys, and reinstall. However, this time I will update only to X3c, and see if things are OK. Then I will apply the X3d patch and see if that introduces any problems.

Thank you.

WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 10:56:18 (permalink)
OK, so I uninstalled Sonar X3 and then deleted the appropriate registry keys. Then I reinstalled X3a and tried opening two projects which use Melodyne... CRASH. Projects which don't use Melodyne open just fine, as they did prior to these changes.

So it's not the X3d patch causing the problem. I have since installed the X3d patch.

Then I uninstalled Melodyne  and reinstalled it. Upon trying to open the Sonar projects which use Melodyne...CRASH.  Maybe I was supposed to delete some registry keys also?

The Octa-Capture problem may be fixed.  At least it hasn't recurred yet.

I have found the Melodyne integration with Sonar to be the handiest thing. It will be a major disappointment if I can't get this to work.

soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 11:30:24 (permalink)
I had the same problem with Sonar not seeing my Studio Capture driver.
It started when I forgot to turn on the unit before I opened Sonar.
Somehow the driver got corrupted. When I re-installed the Studio Capture driver, the problem went away.

WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 12:15:08 (permalink)
@soundtweaker:

Thank you for your suggestion, but I've reinstalled the Octa-Capture driver twice now, and the problem remains. And now the unseen audio interface problem is back with a vengeance...Sonar refuses to see the OC at all. I can't play back a project, and I can't record anything.

WVought
Re: Two Pesky Problems: Melodyne & Roland Octa-Capture 2013/12/31 14:02:12 (permalink)
I believe the Melodyne problem is now solved, thanks to Cakewalk Tech Support.

The theory is that Melodyne had become corrupted, which I apparently fixed by reinstalling the program. The technician had me start a new project and use Melodyne, which worked correctly, so this seems plausible. However, my existing projects were still referencing the corrupted .dll file.

So we opened an existing project in safe mode, disabling the Melodyne module, and then did a manual scan of my VST folders. This ended the reference to the corrupted module, and Melodyne then functioned correctly within the existing project.

My previously existing Melodyne changes are all gone (at least in the one project I've checked), so I will have to recreate those...a hassle, but much preferable to the alternative.

As for the Octa-Capture,it started working properly about 45 minutes before I got on the phone with Cakewalk. Go figure.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered suggestions. Much appreciated.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1