Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE?

Author
TheCraft
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/01/10 07:50:53 (permalink)

Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE?

Hi, after days of searching and watching unhelpful videos on youtube I am non the wiser on this question. Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? I mean with virtual drum kit on the actual program. Many videos show various drum kits, in graphics or in grid view, but nowhere can I find how to actually open them on the program. I can't find them or find anywhere to download them. Please I beg anyone reading this to help me. I understand this seems incredibly simple, and you're right, it should be!

10 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/10 10:34:53 (permalink)
    Yes you can.
    Clcik Insert>Soft Synths at the top and tell us what software synthesizers you have available. With LE, you may not have any specific drum synths, though.
    There are many drum synths for sale, such as Jamstix, and if you were to upgrade to one of Cakewalk's non-LE versions (X3 may still be $49 as a download for registered Cakewalk customers) you will get Session Drummer.
    Some questions for you; what OS are you using?
    Are you using the computer's sound card or do you have an audio interface and what is it?
    Welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/10 11:04:40 (permalink)
    Well, it all depends upon what the definition of "Beats" is.  In the industry, and off the top of my head, beats is the backing track, the music that the artist raps over.  I think that is what you mean, but you seem to be confusing it w/ a synthetic drum kit. 

SONAR X3 P comes w/ Addictive drums and previous versions came w/ Sessions.  Both are virtual drums you can "play" from a midi keyboard or manually input the midi hits on the midi editor page(s).  Other than upgrading to SONAR Producer, you can add in a vst drum machine and play your beats away.  One of my favorite drum synths is Ironhead from Ugoaudio.com  Cheap and is not a sample-based synth, but a synth like the old roland drum stuff.  It is probably too industrial for raps, but it will make beats for sure.

Essentials comes w/ the standard Cakewalk midi & audio clips bundle.  The audio clip includes a bunch of drum loops which are ACIDized files - groove files in Cake speak.  ACid files follow the project tempo and pitch.  A loop that was recorded at 120 bpm can be stretched to fit a 98 bpm song w/o changing the pitch, or the pitch raised/lowered w/o changing the tempo.  As such, you can take a bass loop for the "beat" of a song and use that pattern for changing the chords w/o losing the tempo.  Or a drum loop will follow a tempo change.  You can find these loops in the Browser panel - it should default to Cake's location for same - C:Cakewalk Content/Audio/  You can also buy loops - SONY has a great collections that are ACIDized for different genres.  But you can find free ones or cheaper ones on the internet.  It is very easy to make beats w/ these - some are practically finished for you.  But you can simply drag an element you like onto the time line.  Say a 4 bar drum loop.  If it is acidized, it will have curved edges in the time line - a simple wave file will have sharp edges.  The acid file can simply be pulled out, reapeating the 4 bars for as long as you need.  Then, find a bass loop.  Repeat the process.  Keep adding loops until you get a song you like.  Some of these loops, like I said, will be almost finished and include drums, bass and other instruments that all play along.  Or you can drop in your own guitars, sax yada yada yada.  And once on the timeline you can move these loops around, cut them in half, erase them for a drop, etc.

I don't know if essentials has the matrix, but this is a grid w/in SONAr that you can assign midi or audio (loops or one-shot waves) to pads.  You can start a column, add pads w/in it, then move on to the next column.  Once you find your Cake beats you should check it out.  Kinda cludgy, but it will work.

Other synths offer "beats."  I'm use Heavocity's Mutation bundle for kontakt.  It has loops assigned to keys on your keyboard already.  You play a C and get a basic beat, play a E and get a complementary drum beat.  You can record your performance like a regular keyboard.  It is more cinematic than hip hop, but there are plenty of sampling synths that will do that kind of thing.

Guessing that you want a grid-type environment for 4 on the floor beats, you should really look at FL Studio (aka Fruity Loops).  They have a kind of Matrix type set up, which is a lot of fun.  Little buttons that you click on to fire a sample arranged in a matrix.  4- 16 beats long and the buttons light up.  Assign a bass and hit the 1st button in every 4 beats.  insert a snare and hit the 2 and 3.  So on.  You can use FLS and export the audio into SONAR to do your vocals and sweeting and mixing, or you can rewire FLS into SONAR and they will play along together.  FLS is cheap, simple and fun.

I hope this has helped, and good luck on your choices.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/10 12:19:42 (permalink)
    the simple answer is yes, although it will likely be easier with a third party plugin or two. There are many ways to make beats and that holds true whether you literally mean just programming drums or the commonly used term to refer to backing track for rappers/pop music. There have been hit songs that were not much more than a sample loop with a kick and snare pattern added for reinforcement.  That style is not as popular today but still pops up.  Since making beats will involve drums regardless of what definition you use, start there.  Decide whether you are going to be using acoustic drum sounds, synth drum sounds (this includes drum machine sounds like 808/909), a combo of both or go off the beaten path and use samples of non-drum sounds for your drums. Your next choice will be your source of these sounds. Your basic choices are going to be from a vst instrument or samples.  Not 100% sure of all  drum sources ship with X1 LE but I'm pretty sure at the least it ships with studio instruments and sound center.  Studio drummer contains both acoustic and synth drum samples. I think sound center also has a drumkit or two. Both are limited but may get you started.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UquKaN5Ruio

If going the vst instrument route, you will need to insert into track.  You will then face another choice of whether to attempt to play beats out manually if you have a keyboard or pad type controller or to program the beats in the piano roll view. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and can be combined. You will need to familiarize yourself with the piano roll view for editing regardless of how you initially input sounds since I doubt the step sequencer is included with x1 le.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcnfvfWC4s

Working strictly with samples in Sonar is a lot harder to explain and will require a lot of trial and error on your part. At the simplest level you could simply grab drum loops and manipulate them.  Sonar comes with lots of drum loops and maybe even individualized parts (kick loops, snare loops, hi hat patterns etc) If you are going to be working with loops/grooveclips, you will need to familiarize yourself with features like the loop construction view:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKve-ydGl54

You could also lay out drum patterns by dropping individual drum one-shot samples on tracks. If you go this route, you will need to master copying and pasting. There are producers who despite having access to tons of sequencing options still use this method.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/10 19:29:48 (permalink)
    TheCraft
    Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? I mean with virtual drum kit on the actual program. Many videos show various drum kits, in graphics or in grid view, but nowhere can I find how to actually open them on the program. I can't find them or find anywhere to download them.

Any virtual instruments in VST format that you install on your computer can be used within Sonar. The best ones will cost you, but there are some decent free ones too. Here's a few sites that you may want to check out:
    http://www.dskmusic.com/category/vsti-all
    http://www.pluginboutique.com/categories/7-Drum-Machine/free
    http://freevst.webs.com/drum_machines.htm

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    TheCraft
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/12 13:34:00 (permalink)
    You absolute legends!
    .. Yes sorry for my description, I meant just a drum loop for now but I'm sure I would have popped up again soon to ask about synths for bass, tunes and effects. I have made several full beats using the library of drum loops etc, but I really want to make my own completely (partly so I don't have to explain to people that the beat isn't really mine but a mixture of loops already created!)
    I'm using Windows 7 with just my laptops sound card.. My version includes Cakewalk sound center, SI drum kit and squareI..
    I'm far from an expert as you might have guessed! All I was looking for was the basic grid style thing, like on FruitLoops if anyone is familiar? The drums down one side, the beats across horizontally as buttons for you to put the drums in where you want if you know what I mean? It's the fact that what I am trying to do is so simple why I am getting so frustrated with it haha!
    I will check out the beats and watch more tutorials.. Thanks for the help and any more advice for an amateur is much appreciated. I'll let you all know if I get sorted but annoyingly won't have time giv it a good few hour session for a while :/
    Thank you again!
    dubdisciple
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/12 13:44:05 (permalink)
    I know exactly what you mean.  It is called a step sequencer.  LE does not have this feature, but you may want to consider upgrading: http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CXSR3.00-30E
    It would cost you $49,but there may be a coupon to get $20 off.  Let me go check the details.  I think that would serve you better
    dubdisciple
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/12 13:56:56 (permalink)
    Just checked.  the coupon will not apply to this :(  $49 is still not bad.  You will also get more tools that will work better for making beats like session drummer 3. 
    TheCraft
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/12 14:06:20 (permalink)
    I'll consider it.. I know quality doesn't come free.. But I would prefer to keep things free till my skills are developed further. I, like most these days, don't have much money so would hate to spend some on something that ends up being too complicated for me.
    Thanks again though, I'll look into it a bit more :)
    dubdisciple
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/12 14:09:15 (permalink)
    I understand. Le is still capable of a lot. There is lots of great freeware. Some of the drum synths posted above have built in step sequencers.
    TheCraft
    Re: Is it possible to make your own beats on Sonar X1 LE? 2014/01/13 08:14:27 (permalink)
    Brilliant, thank you very much
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1