question re working with samples

Author
Robert Morin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2014/01/11 19:28:28 (permalink)

question re working with samples

Hi:

I have an audio sample of a piano sound (ie, a simple recording of someone pressing down on the key of a piano).

I would like to take the sample of the piano sound, manipulate it, and then use the newly-created sound in an electroacoustic composition that I am working on.

I have Z3ta+2, which I was hoping to use to do the desired manipulations. However, when I upload the sample of the piano sound into Z3ta, the sample sounds nothing like itself (ie, it sounds all distorted). I tried initializing z3ta before uploading the sample so that I'm starting from a clean slate (ie, with no other parameters that could be the cause of distorting the sample), but no luck.

Is there a way to upload the sample into Z3ta so that it retains its original characteristics? Alternatively, should I be using a different sampling software - if so, which one?

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

RM
post edited by Robert Morin - 2014/01/11 19:29:45

7 Replies Related Threads

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/11 20:07:09 (permalink)
    If you were going to try and import a sample int oa cakewalk synth, you would likely have better luck with Rapture than z3ta.   I think Z3ta is limited to small wav cycles.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/11 22:27:43 (permalink)
    I do believe there is a limit to the length of the sample in Z3TA.  You can import small samples - waveforms.

Rapture will import samples but turns it into a wavetable, 3000 samples long (again, going from memory).  Those have more of the sample retained, but is still a very short representative.

Dimpro will import samples in all their full legnth glory.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Robert Morin
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/12 10:35:35 (permalink)
    Thanks. It seems that Dimension Pro is the best way to go.

However, I'm still confused why the sample, when uploaded into Z3ta, is distorted and sounds nothing like itself. Although one can upload only a relatively small sample into Z3ta, the sample should still nonetheless sound like itself once uploaded. I unfortunately find that is not the case. Any thoughts in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/12 10:49:58 (permalink)
    There is a specific warning about the size of the waves for oscillators on page 18 of the Z3TA+2 User Guide:
    "Note: The .wav file can not be bigger than 65536 samples."

post edited by scook - 2014/01/12 10:51:05
    Robert Morin
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/12 11:21:09 (permalink)
    Thanks.

Even when the .wav file is less than the 65536 sample limit, once uploaded into Z3ta the .wav file sounds nothing like itself. I find this strange.  
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/12 12:06:42 (permalink)
    I think Z3TA is expecting a wave form like triangle or saw, not a full bandwith sample.  The emphasis in Z3TA is virtual analog.  It might normalize the incoming wave or have some other process getting in the way.  Have you tried dropping in some SFZ wavefiles?  I know several libraries that include new samples for Z3TA.  Look on patchareana.com and see if chad or somebody can give you hints about importing.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: question re working with samples 2014/01/14 20:02:15 (permalink)
    Although one can upload only a relatively small sample into Z3ta, the sample should still nonetheless sound like itself once uploaded.

Not necessarily.  The synth engine interpolates those few thousand cycles and stretches them across the MIDI keyboard.  Some of my best lead synth sounds started out as cymbal and hi-hat snippets.  There are a few ways to get you where you're going, depending on what synth you prefer to use and the final product in mind.

One example: DimPro and Rapture have a piano.wav 'oscillator' (00 - Wavetables in Dimension).  It retains many of the characteristics of a decent piano sound.  Roll your own attack and release times.  It can be loaded into z3ta+2, if you prefer.  In any oscillator [OSC 1-6], WAVE -> User -> Load User (X) Wave ...  Then navigate to one of the other Cakewalk synths' wavetable locations.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1