X3: Copy automation envelopes between buses?

Author
hybrid3
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2014/01/13 16:52:13 (permalink)

X3: Copy automation envelopes between buses?

Hello all,

After getting used to X3 after upgrading from 8.5x, I finally bumped into an obstacle I haven´t been able to pass, despite googling and reading the user giode: How do I copy an automation envelope from one bus to another?
After copying it (with "automation data" box ticked in "copy special" enabled) and pasting it, the copied envelope always ends up being copied to the source bus regardless of what I enter in the "paste special" window. Changing the "Destination bus" does not make any differance.

What am I missing out here?

[..Crash Analysis Engineer from Gothenburg / Sweden
[..& hobby musician (Industrial / EBM)
[
[Uses: Sonar Producer 8.5PE, VAZ Modular 3, ABSynth5, DR-008, Battery3, EWQL Gol, GR4
brian brock
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 297
Re: X3: Copy automation envelopes between buses? 2014/01/13 17:28:43 (permalink)
no problem copy/pasting automation data between busses here. You do have to enable the automation envelope on the destination track first, but then whether using special or normal copy/paste, I don't see any problems just treating it more or less like audio.  Is it possible you're working on a project started in 8.5?  There are sometimes issues with new features not operating properly on old projects, and automation has changed a bit since 8.5 - have you tested in a new blank x3 project?  (Make sure it starts blank, since I have seen problems in templates which were created in previous versions of Sonar).  If you can't copy/paste in a blank project, then something's amiss for sure.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: X3: Copy automation envelopes between buses? 2014/01/13 18:07:50 (permalink)
It can be a trick to copy a single automation lane... Here's what I do...

1. Create a new project with 1 audio track and draw 2 types of automation on a track - volume and pan say.
2. Select all - ctrl+a
3. Custom Copy - ctrl+alt+c
4. Select only Track/Bus Automation
5. Insert a new audio track - Insert Button
6. move now time to start of selected material - shift+G
7. Paste - ctrl+V or ctrl+alt+v depending on your preference
8. Delete extra Bus.
9. Assign bus to automate parameter of your choice
10. repeat to copy the single automation lane remaining to the destination track of your choice.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
hybrid3
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: X3: Copy automation envelopes between buses? 2014/01/14 13:42:23 (permalink)
Thank you for your replies.

I tried creating a new project in X3 and did some bus copying back and forth, with no problems whatsoever. My project was, as you suggested, created in 8.53.

I managed to copy the bus automation envelopes needed by first pasting them into a new blank x3 project and then back into the destination lane in the old project. A little bit of a hassle but all new projects will be created in X3 anyway so it´s not a big problem.

Thanks!

[..Crash Analysis Engineer from Gothenburg / Sweden
[..& hobby musician (Industrial / EBM)
[
[Uses: Sonar Producer 8.5PE, VAZ Modular 3, ABSynth5, DR-008, Battery3, EWQL Gol, GR4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1