RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO

Author
jcole
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/01/18 14:08:43 (permalink)

RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO

Hi, I am new to the sonar software, and do not have much experience recording drums. I just got a roland td-11 kit. I bought an M-track usb interface (with midi input and output). I can not figure out how to record my drums into sonar x3 studio. I would like to know how to record my drums with the kit sound, as well as record through midi (I have zero midi experience). My end goal is to record my guitar tract and then my drum tract, or vice versa, becoming a one man band :) I am new to all of this so bare with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryon
Vab
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO 2014/01/18 14:13:10 (permalink)
Look up the videos in the Sonar university on cakewalks website on Session drummer 3 under master classes.

I learnt how to use midi tracks, step sequencer and PRV effortlessly and with ease within 2-3 days of going through those videos and I also had zero experience with using midi before then.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO 2014/01/19 06:27:35 (permalink)
jcole
Hi, I am new to the sonar software, and do not have much experience recording drums. I just got a roland td-11 kit. I bought an M-track usb interface (with midi input and output). I can not figure out how to record my drums into sonar x3 studio. I would like to know how to record my drums with the kit sound, as well as record through midi (I have zero midi experience). My end goal is to record my guitar tract and then my drum tract, or vice versa, becoming a one man band :) I am new to all of this so bare with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryon

I'd suggest watching my freebie video on MIDI routing which you can find here.

That will give you a basic idea of MIDI routing and how it works.

Assuming you want to record the MIDI output initially (which is the sensible route) you need to insert a MIDI track. Set the input and output of that track to your TD-11.

There are choices here. You can either monitor the drums directly from their output in which case you need to turn "input echo" off.That's one of the widgets in the track header next to the "record" widget.

You could also monitor them via Sonar but in that case will need to make sure that the "input echo" button is lit to hear the output. On the TD-11 you would also need to turn "local" off or you will hear the direct sound and the sound generated by the returning MIDI signal which will create a phasing sound at best or double hit at worst.

Remember either way you will be monitoring the output from the kit itself so will need to have the output of that attached to some form of monitoring system.

Unless you are using the first "Direct Monitoring" method you'll also need to make sure the amount of latency is reasonably small or you will find it very difficult to play because of the delay.

To record all you have to do is arm the MIDI track by clicking on the track's record widget so it turns red and then press record.

Once you have the MIDI recorded you can then edit it as need be. To turn that into permanent audio you insert an audio track, set the input to the audio input that has your TD-11 attached, arm the track for recording and then press record. Sonar plays back the MIDI and records the output of the TD-11 into the audio track.

HTH
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO 2014/01/19 12:15:43 (permalink)
Please do yourself a favor and watch my video about how to use drum maps.  I use them for all my TD-20 Vdrums recordings because it makes it a lot easier to look at the data and even split the midi to multiple instruments (software inside of Sonar) if you like.

You may need a bit more midi understanding, but this video should help you once you have that.

You can check that video out here: http://blades85.com/music/sonar/88-specific-topics/79-sonar-drum-maps

Hope that helps.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re: RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO 2014/01/19 12:17:25 (permalink)
Yea, im pretty sure blades helped me out years ago on how to record my V-drums. The vid is good!!

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: RECORDING DRUMS INTO X3 STUDIO 2014/01/19 14:40:16 (permalink)
Thanks CJay.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1