i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage?

Author
jackasspenguin
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2014/02/01 12:42:05 (permalink)

i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage?

For someone who is only going to be using the machine for processing and producing audio,,,is an 8 thread processor really going to offer that much more compared to something less robust like a 4 thread i5? My old q8200 seemed to work fine. Although, I didn have some issues with it. I'm just not so sure it's because it only had 4 threads.

For that matter, Is 16GB going to offer any great advantages over 8Gb? Would a higher speed RAM of lower storage amount be more of an advantage of a slower higher storage amount?
I'm more interested in buying something I need... not spending all the money I have.

I just got a brand new SSD drive I'm ready to drop into something. But, I'm clueless when it comes to computer hardware these days.

Windows 7 64 Bit
i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Thunderbolt P8Z77-V
8GB Ram
MOTU 896mk3 
Axiom 61  
Sonar X3e 
NI Komplete 9 Ultimate
Omnisphere
Reason 7

9 Replies Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/02 00:11:33 (permalink)
    "Would a higher speed RAM of lower storage amount be more of an advantage of a slower higher storage amount?"

The speed of the computer memory depends on the bus speed of the computer, I doubt that can be changed, so the memory needed in the computer is what will work with the bus speed (which as far as I know is only one speed).

As to CPU there were second generations I5 and I7 (or even I3) computers, now it is third generation and of course to me 3rd generations are going to be better and faster than 2nd generations which they still put in cheaper computers.

There is also PCIe for the graphics card and those have also changed from PCIe second generation to third generation, although a graphics card made for third generation will still work with a second generation PCIe slot in the computer. I suppose it should be faster and probably is, but some people always will give a conflicting report or as scuttlebutt goes.

A lot of soft synths - I suppose a faster computer speed for the CPU and bus speed on the computer to move memory around.

The only thing I can say is if you buy a cheaper computer like I did, you will probably find out it still has 2nd generation hardware in it, and if you are concerned by that, then buying a computer with the 3rd generation hardware will no doubt cost more and be faster.

Anything else about computers will have to be answered by someone who knows more about such things as 8 threads vs. 4 threads (my computer is 4 threads-cores and faster than the other old computer I had, and that my computer is no doubt not the fastest computer that can be bought nowadays, but the price was cheaper).

As far as I know I7 is always going to be faster than a I5 which is faster than a I3 computer CPU.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/02/02 00:12:49

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/02 01:05:43 (permalink)
    jackasspenguin
    For that matter, Is 16GB going to offer any great advantages over 8Gb?

If you are not using any softsynths that stream audio, then 8GB RAM is more than enough.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/02 03:25:16 (permalink)
    You will find a speed increase with an I7 but it is up to you to consider whether that extra expense is worthwhile. An I5 is not a less robust CPU, in fact for many years the I5 was considered to be the most solid and stable CPU that money could buy. That is not necessarily the case now with 3rd and 4th generation intel silicon but I believe that an I5, on a quality MB with quality RAM will give you a solid, stable platform. It may not be as super quick as some, but it will be reliable
    Most motherboards will accept different speed RAM modules, and I have found spending only a little extra on a good name, faster, RAM can save you big problems in the long term, faulty RAM is one the harder issues to track down should it occur (and cheap RAM can be very cheap and cause all sorts of nasty hair pulling ).
    I agree with Kev, in that 8GB is usually enough RAM for most small projects. However, if your track count is high, and/or you have lots of plug-ins, Synths, or samples streaming, then the extra few dollars for 16, or even 32GB is well worth the money.
    Good luck and good music making.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    jackasspenguin
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/02 10:28:50 (permalink)
    It's hard for me to point the finger at any one thing. Never had any trouble with several midi channels of Omnisphere running and at least a few Kontakt instruments. But just one instance of D16 GRoup Lush-101 and it brings it to it's knees. And with the full version of Melodyne Editor I've locked it up on several occasions. I can't say I recall how much RAM it was using. I may just get 8GB and see how goes with the new build. Since I can easily stick more in it if need be.

I'm going to try and do something Sandy Bridge. Ivy Bridge isn't out of the questions and appears to be a lower power draw. I guess the latest Intel release is going to be a bit better than it's predecessor? 
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/04 02:54:18 (permalink)
    Lush, Diva and any really exquisite soft synth will crush your cpu...whereas Omnisphere, Alchemy and the like are largely modified sample players... Creating complex waveforms is very cpu intensive... playing a file and tweaking it a bit isn't... it's more memory intensive to house the samples...

So, it all depends... you can spend ooodles on sample packages and use a less robust rig or get a better rig and play with lovelies like Diva, Synthmaster, Lush...

Also, how much do you love this adventure?  I love it more than coffee, wine, chocolate, bars, movies.... and so while I'm relatively poor... I'm rich in what I love and healthier for choosing the rig/tools

If it's just a casual thing, use Kontakt libraries and the like and you'll be fine but you know what I would do...

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    jackasspenguin
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/04 03:08:56 (permalink)
    I'm hunting down an i5 3570k. The Asus Sabertooth z77 is attractive. I hear they are built like tanks. Oh, I like Lush alot. I think it's a nice sounding instrument. I'd like to be able to use it. ;) I need to figure something out soon as I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be poorer when I get back. That wont help matters. lol   Cheers Mate!
    Vab
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/02/17 09:10:17 (permalink)
    Asus Sabertooth boards are great, they're supposed to be the most reliable and are built to last, plus they come with a 5 year warranty.

But me, I need rampage series because I like the best.

I7 980 | Asus Rampage III Extreme | 12 Gb ram | SLI GTX 680 | Creative X-fi Titanium HD | 2x4 Tb HDD | 128+512 Gb SSDs | Sonar X3 Producer | Yamaha DGX 630 | Samson Go Mic
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/03/08 09:14:52 (permalink)
    I have two relatively new systems with 2nd generation Intel CPU's.  My main DAW system is an i7 3770 with 16GB RAM and both an SSD and conventional hard drive.  My backup system (that I had to recently use as the Gigabyte Z77 motherboard required warranty service) is an i5 3550 with 8GB of RAM with an ASUS Z77 motherboard and conventional hard drives.  

Disregarding the faster SSD VS hard drive, I didn't really see any difference running Sonar X3 Producer 64 bit version.  However, I don't use much MIDI which could make a difference. I do see other differences, including faster smoother video scrolling with the i7 system  (not an issue in Sonar).  The video, however, is an issue as I'm only using the built in Intel HD4000 graphics on the i7 system vs. using an NVIDIA GTS450OC video card with 1GB RAM in the i5 system.  I have to attribute the better video to the i7's processing capability including the 8 CPU threads compared to the four in the i5.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: i7 vs. i5 is there a significant advantage? 2014/04/02 16:08:08 (permalink)
    Hello...  an i7 4 core + HT
                  an i5 4 core
                  an i3 2 core +HT
    Windows and Sonar uses HT, and will see 8 processing lanes... if your software uses hyperThreading the i7 is the way to go.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1