Microphone Control

Author
patmc007
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
2014/02/05 16:21:44 (permalink)

Microphone Control

Hello,

I have two microphones attached to my computer.  I have a Lexicon USB desktop mic connected by USB.  I also have a condenser mic connected to my Lexicon Lambda input device (connected by microphone cable).  The Lambda is then connected to the computer by USB.  For MC6, I only use the condenser mic.  However, MC6 will seize control of all of my mics when I play a project.  Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, except that I create tutorial videos of my song projects for a friend of mine by screen capturing MC6.  The instant I open the song file, the mic recording stops in the screen capture.  Is there a way to get MC6 to only take control of a particular mic, and leave the others alone?

Thanks!

Patrick
Via

www.soundcloud.com/patmc007

Sonar X3 Producer
Lexicon Lambda Pro Audio Interface
M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 Midi Controller
Korg nanoPAD 2
MXL 990 Microphone
Roland D-50 Linear Synth
A Wing
A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/05 23:26:16 (permalink)
    If the Lex has ASIO drivers, install and use those. ASIO only allows one device to be used at a time and most USB mikes have to use MME diver mode to operate.
    Thus you would only be able to use the Lambda and the condenser mic.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/06 07:11:31 (permalink)
    And a USB mic is never just a mic, your PC sees it as a sound card, and that causes compatibility/timing/routing problems.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/06 07:48:27 (permalink)
    patmc007

I have two microphones attached to my computer.  I have a Lexicon USB desktop mic connected by USB.  I also have a condenser mic connected to my Lexicon Lambda input device (connected by microphone cable).  The Lambda is then connected to the computer by USB.  For MC6, I only use the condenser mic.  However, MC6 will seize control of all of my mics when I play a project.  Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, except that I create tutorial videos of my song projects for a friend of mine by screen capturing MC6.  The instant I open the song file, the mic recording stops in the screen capture.  Is there a way to get MC6 to only take control of a particular mic, and leave the others alone?

Essentially, It looks to me like the computer is seeing 3 different sound cards..... it's built in card, the USB mic and the Lambda.
    Disconnect the one you are not using, and select the one you want to use from the available inputs list.  I'm assuming you do not need to have an active mic input for MC6 in the tutorial you are creating.

It sounds to me like the computer is getting totally confused on which mic input to use or drivers are getting crossed up with all that is going on.

It'll be interesting to see how you get this one worked out. Let us know.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    patmc007
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/06 10:14:20 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your input.  I also found out that if I open MC6 first, then open the video capture software, the control of the Lexicon USB mic stays with the video capture software.  All of your responses help me understand why this happens.

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/06 10:23:36 (permalink)
    Also, under Preferences>Playback and Recording, make sure the "Share Drivers With Other Programs" box is unchecked.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/06 14:35:14 (permalink)
    I have 3 programs I use for music creation and sometimes have them all open at the same time. They will all use ASIO by themselves. However, ASIO is a one trick pony and whichever program grabs it first is the only one that can use it. Since Sonar will only use ASIO in my computer, I must remember to open Sonar first if I will be working with all 3. The other 2 will share MME without issues, and I can have all 3 programs contributing to the audio feed output at the same time.

All that to say... sometimes it does matter the order of preference in opening the programs due to the drivers they use.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    patmc007
    Re: Microphone Control 2014/02/10 17:06:44 (permalink)
    Thank you both for the follow up responses. I will check into these things. I am finding that I have to open programs in a certain order, so I am thinking I am having some of the issues you mention.

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1