Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help.

Author
EricDeluxe
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
2014/02/09 08:42:18 (permalink)

Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help.

Hey

Firstly, sorry if this seem a bit confusing, I am not really sure what to ask for...

I asked for some help with Sonar X3 and Arturia Microbute in another thread (thanks for all help btw! Really great:)

I realized that the Microbrute only send Mod Wheel and Keyboard midimessages; which annoys me a bit. 
As MB is an 100 % analog synth I guess its great to have these options anyway, but still...

However, I want/need to record/automate LFO/Envelopes etc etc. I also want them to sync with Sonar. I am not experienced in using CC with hardware. Any help in the right direction would be helpful.

1. How (can I?) do I insert CC messages in Sonar X3 so that LFO/Envelope etc are automated/recorded and synced?
2. Perhaps it is easier to use the MB as a sound module and connect it with my Midi Keyboard (Novation SL MK2)?
3. I understand that is is possible to use analog sequencers to get around it, but it seem a bit overkill;)

http://soundcloud.com/ericdeluxe - my harder side
https://soundcloud.com/cirque-du-sonique my softer side
Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 (64 bit), MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, Novation SL MKII 25, NI KORE 2, NI Maschine, NI Komplete 9, Yamaha HS50m, AKG K240S, AKG Perception 200, Z3TA 2+, Soundtoys Native Effects, PSP Mixpack 2, several VSTs
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help. 2014/02/09 13:42:57 (permalink)
The Microbrute doesn't send or receive MIDI CCs other than the mod wheel. Full stop.

Therefore there is no way to automate the LFO/filter etc. via Sonar other than using hardware that converts MIDI to the control voltages the synth requires and using the synth's patch bay. Doepfer do MIDI to CV converters as do a few other companies. There are also solutions that can convert audio data into CV, but they tend to be the complicated way to do things.

In general, MIDI CCs can be manually inserted into a Sonar MIDI track using either track envelopes or in the piano roll view. They can also be inserted into the step sequencer via the pull down menu on the left of each row but only at the same points that a note is triggered.

I'm away from my DAW at the moment so can't step you through the process because though I do this a lot I don't trust my memory not to get it wrong somewhere. :-) I'll remind myself how it's done later and get back to you.

My way of recording non-MIDI sequencable synths is to record the track as a performance, and to accept them for what they are. It's no different really to using analogue guitar effects pedals and amps rather than a programmable digital or software emulator.

As for using another keyboard to control the Microbrute, you could but to be honest I don't see a reason to unless it's own keyboard is difficult to use. You'll still need to tweak the controls on the Minibrute itself no matter how you send it note data.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
EricDeluxe
Re: Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help. 2014/02/09 15:30:50 (permalink)
Hey TLW

Thanks for the input!
Well, I guess I have to live with it and learn a new way to record and/or to insert Envelopes manually (or buy a synth with digital control, I believe DSI Tetra and Bass Station II got that).

I would be thankful for help with the process, even though I guess its something like insert an envelope with correct CC for the function I want.

Thanks for now, would be great with some more help if possible:)

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 (64 bit), MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, Novation SL MKII 25, NI KORE 2, NI Maschine, NI Komplete 9, Yamaha HS50m, AKG K240S, AKG Perception 200, Z3TA 2+, Soundtoys Native Effects, PSP Mixpack 2, several VSTs
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help. 2014/02/09 20:41:47 (permalink)
OK, having had a look at X3 to check...

In the PRV (piano roll view) there's a pull-down below the keyboard graphic that by default says "velocity". If you pull that down it allows you to insert any MIDI CC number you want. You draw them in below the notes the same way as drawing/editing velocity. The + symbol by the pull-down does the same thing.

As for envelopes, yes, you simply insert a MIDI track envelope with the CC number you want.

The step sequencer is very similar in how it works to the PRV, wth the exception you can't add a CC where there isn't a note, which is a bit limiting as you can't program in a smooth sweep through values between notes....

As for MIDI controlled analogue synths, I've a Mopho which allows control of everything via MIDI, and sends CCs as well as receiving them. As far as I know the Tetra is the same. It has to be said that the third-party editing software makes programming the DSI synths much easier - not really enough knobs on the desktop boxes for easy programing, though they work well enough as performance controls.

As for the bass station, I've read the manual but it was a while ago and I can't remember what it's exact MIDI capabilities are. I once had an original which expired many years ago (the build quality wasn't exactly of the highest, but neither was the price of course) so I was interested in the new version. Might get one someday....

Might get an Arturia as well at some point. They're unique-sounding synths, especially with the way they mix oscillator waveforms. The Microbrute's patch panel is an asset as well. Being 1 volt/0ctave means it should interface OK with the lots of other gear such as the MFB and Doepfer range.

Thinking about it, I'd always suggest downloading the manual for any music technology you're thinking of buying before you buy and going through it carefully first. The MIDI spec is also always worth looking at.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
EricDeluxe
Re: Midi CC in Sonar X3 for hardware synth, need some help. 2014/02/10 18:02:12 (permalink)
Hey

Thanks for the input, big help:)
I have to get used to the hassle of inserting Midi CC numbers in the PVR (or record the audio). I really love the sound of the Microbrute, and can really recommend it. The patching is really fun:) I have never owned an analog synth before, but I've always loved the sound of them. I got the Virus Snow for a while, which was very good to, but there is some difference off course. The programming and integration with my DAW was flawless, but I used the Virus too little and sold it.

You are totally right that reading "TFM" is a good thing to do. In this case I only read that is should be so easy to integrate with my DAW, and that it had USB midi. Didn't read the rest...;)

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1