AABA song structure in EDM style

Author
dscoyne
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2014/03/06 13:23:08 (permalink)

AABA song structure in EDM style

I have a song (with lyrics) which has a Verse, Verse, Bridge, Verse structure (AABA, no chorus).  I would like to have in done in Dance-Pop/EDM style.  Can anyone cite any successful song examples which have this unusual combination of structure and style?  Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: AABA song structure in EDM style 2014/03/06 14:23:21 (permalink)
    Not off hand.... but I'm not a big pop fan.

My guess would be that if you are shooting for a commercial placement of a song that you should look at and study what is currently on the charts and selling in that style and genre and copy it.  Look at the top 20 and analyze the structure they all use and style your song accordingly.  If that structure isn't used in many hits in that genre, I would not try to break the mold. Go with the flow, ride the wave, don't try to swim against the current.

I work in country and a song without a chorus is almost unheard of in today's modern country music. Not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done, because I heard an old song the other night that was a #1 hit in it's day and it was a simple AAAAA structure. Try that now, and you wouldn't be given the time of day in Nashville.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: AABA song structure in EDM style 2014/03/18 01:53:03 (permalink)
    There are many, many songs written in this style, have a listen to some Tom Waits albums. One of my favourites is "Chocolate Jesus" from the "Mule Variations" album. This is a classic AABA structure.
    Going back even further, "Blue Skies" is also AABA style.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1