First post

Author
pigwart12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2014/03/08 12:07:05 (permalink)

First post

Hi to all---This is my first post. I have been a Music Creator fan for the last 10 years or so---started in MC3 moved to MC5 and finally, about 2 years ago to MC6. As I made the progression, I've updated my equipment to a point that I now have, what I consider, to be a fairly nice studio. I have been working quite a bit lately, with MIDI, soft synths, and VST's, and I find them to be incredible. I am very excited about working in the Loop Construction section of MC6---it does some pretty amazing things! To anyone who hasn't tried it----give it a go. I'm curious if anyone knows of a good program of Country/Folk .wav loops, that work with the program---I've looked at some of the"FREE-WARE" loops, but they seem to come with alot of baggage.
With regard to the post of mjbloomfield---I sometimes use a program called "MUSESCORE"---it's freeware on the web, and it is quite comprehensive for composing music from "scratch". I'm sure you would find it useful in your work.
Over the years, I have been helped through the "Cakewalk haze" by many of you, (Beagle, Guitarhacker, Gregy57, Robo, et al) I would like to say thank you, for all of your dedicated work, and I, for one really appreciate what you do. Keep up the good work!
Thanks---Pigwart12
MC6,Vista,Cakewalk/Roland UA25EX,Behringer Europower PSP1000,CasioWK110,Roland E5 synthAlesis M1 Active 320 studio monitors, Shure 58's 

11 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: First post 2014/03/09 08:54:04 (permalink)
    Loops, by their very nature are best used with electronica and hip hop styles of music.

For country and folk, I suggest real instruments and a mic.

There is always Song Smith from Microsoft for about $30 or Band in a Box from PG music for considerably more. They will work with samples that can produce some believable tracks. Many of my backing tracks in the songs I write and post and are on my website contain tracks created in BB. I play some keys, guitars, and mandolin, so beyond that, the tracks are all synth/sampled.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    pigwart12
    Re: First post 2014/03/09 10:03:29 (permalink)
    Hi Herb--Nice to finally meet you. I've followed your work on your site---I especially like your song "GOING HOME"---nicely done. I do try to do my own instruments, I play guitar, and I fumble through the "keys", mostly in real time, and my wife helps with mando and guitar. Sometimes, though, we need a little help. In one composition, we saw a place where a fiddle loop would have worked great, but calling somebody in for a 4 measure loop seemed ridiculous. The "synth" fiddle kinda leaves something to be desired, I think. Some of the acidized "loop" programs I've seen, are played by real session musicians. It almost seems like the way to go. I'll certainly look at what you suggested----thanks a lot. 

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: First post 2014/03/09 10:07:23 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you need any musicians, post a request in the Cakewlk Songs forum. There are many folks who enjoy contributing to other's songs. They may want to hear some of your work first, so a song link would be helpful to them to hear the kind of music you play.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    Re: First post 2014/03/09 12:23:39 (permalink)
    57Gregy
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you need any musicians, post a request in the Cakewlk Songs forum. There are many folks who enjoy contributing to other's songs. They may want to hear some of your work first, so a song link would be helpful to them to hear the kind of music you play.

Excellent idea.... and yeah, I have contributed to a number of folk's music... sometimes directly and other times behind the scenes and I have a few folks there playing on a tune or two of mine as well.

We have a few "bands" there too where people collab across the net on a semi-regular basis.

BMI/NSAI

pigwart12
    Re: First post 2014/03/09 17:45:06 (permalink)
    Thanks---- to both of you, and I'll look at your ideas.

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: First post 2014/03/12 18:18:57 (permalink)
    Pigwart,  Take a look at countrymusicloops.com.  They offer midi and audio loops at reasonable prices, are very customer focused, have free samples and many helpful pdf guides.  If you want to work with song kits as well as instrument loops, sonycreative.com/classiccountry is an inexpensive ($29 US) set to start with.  BigFishAudio.com offers multiple sets of country loops from different loop developers but most are more than $100 US and work with specific players such as Kontact.  As was stated earlier, PG Music's Band-In-A-Box can be used to create complete audio backing tracks for many music genres including country.  You can get BIAB for the same price or less than some of the loop libraries and have much more variety.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: First post 2014/03/13 08:40:56 (permalink)
    I would certainly recommend even the lowest version of Band in a Box over regular loops.  you can create an entire band to back you up using chord changes in a chart window and selecting styles and instruments.

basically what it does is piece together loops of those instruments, changes the pitch from the chord/key you're using and stretches them according to your time sig/tempo, then creates the backing tracks from those loops.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: First post 2014/03/13 11:09:00 (permalink)
    Beagle
    I would certainly recommend even the lowest version of Band in a Box over regular loops.  you can create an entire band to back you up using chord changes in a chart window and selecting styles and instruments.

basically what it does is piece together loops of those instruments, changes the pitch from the chord/key you're using and stretches them according to your time sig/tempo, then creates the backing tracks from those loops.

BINGO!!!  yep... listen to my music. If it's not a guitar or a mandolin, or singing, it's all done with Band in a Box and it's sampled music loops.

The better the package from PG the better the tracks will sound..... but creativity is only limited by you.

BMI/NSAI

pigwart12
    Re: First post 2014/03/13 13:48:02 (permalink)
    Thanks to all three of you---Jim, Herb and Beagle---looks like some real sound(no pun intended), advise and I'll look at all of it--Keith

MC6, Vista 32-bit Dual Core,3GB HD,Cakewalk UA25ES,Behringer PSP1000, Roland E5 Synth, Casio WK110 Keys 

Keith

Guitarhacker
    Re: First post 2014/03/14 08:40:23 (permalink)
    The better the package from PG the better the tracks will sound..... but creativity is only limited by you.

I should clarify this a bit. Even the basic "Pro" package contains real tracks of superb quality. The quality of the tracks does not change as you move up to the Mega-Package or further to the Plus, Ultra, or Everything pak...  the thing that does change is the number of real tracks included in the package. The Audiophile version does have full waves in it so the sound quality there will be better as a result, but that is the only one that fits that category.

PG insists that the real tracks are not samples and they are correct, but they are real recordings of the instruments along the same lines as samples but simply implemented in a different manner.

Go to the PG Music site, click on the "packages" link and then one by one the packages and listen to the demos there.

BMI/NSAI

pigwart12
    Re: First post 2014/03/14 10:25:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb---I'll take a look. ---Keith

Keith

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1