Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please?

Author
bobernaut
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
2014/03/10 19:46:07 (permalink)

Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please?

Hello, and thanks for reading this. I'm hoping someone here knows something about my problem that's making me crazier than I already am. Here it is:
I'm using windows xp with Sonar HS 6 along with Reason 3.0. One day, not long ago, I got this message box up on my screen as I was bring up my music programs:
"This application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

Some time later, I believe after updating Audacity, I then got a bunch more of these. Another one is this,
"An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. Please contact the applications support team for more information"

In addition to these to messages, I also received these, abbreviated here,"

...missing WXbase 28u_vc_custom.dll

...missing WXmsw28u_core_vc_custom.dll

...missing WXmsu 28u_core_vc_custom.dll

and there are about 5 more like this.

So far, none of these missing .DLLs seem to be effecting anything with my programs or music, but they may be and I don't know it. It is irritating however because it it takes about 3 minutes to bring up Reason after I load up a Sonar song. It used to take only about 15 seconds or so.

My main problem is trying to find a knowledgeable and trustworthy site to learn how to fix this. I have learned that it is unwise to simply download the missing .DLLs. 

I'm hoping someone who reads this knows from experience what to do to solve this problem. If you do have experience or suggestions, please reply so I can fix this problem.

I am very hesitant to try any sort of repair or reformat for reasons  we all understand here. As I said, hopefully someone knows a way to fix these missing .dlls without resorting to these measures.

By the way, yes, I have run many many virus/malware scans and find nothing apparently ( not that this PC is online anymore-used to be for the updates though).

Please help if you can,
thanks,

Bob

20 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/11 10:37:35 (permalink)
    Wise move not downloading those "fixes" I know exactly what you mean. Every time you google some computer issue, there is all these "we'll fix it" downloads instead of solid info. Ya, probably mess you up even worse. 

There are some reliable computer forums, Tom's Hardware is one I have found useful. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

how old is`your harddrive. 

I don't have any solid answers and I personally hate fussing with OS and Registry stuff.  I'm inclined to start fresh and just redo my system from the ground up. Xp is pretty easy to re install and if you are like me and only use the computer for a DAW it's the bullet proof solution. I would use a new hard drive. 
    Might take a couple of hours but you can easily spend that just trying to find a bandage. 
    Things always run better new. 
    Just make sure you can still get all your system drivers. These things get tricky over time. 

Here we have a computer forum you could try.
    This branch forum is very dead, nobody comes here. So try the computer forum or even the X series forum where there are lots of people. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/03/11 10:40:39

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/13 02:38:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for your speedy reply, I do appreciate it. I have not done the xp repair in a long time ( on a different computer), do you believe that by doing a repair that nothing "bad" will happen to my music files? I just can't bring myself to trust this. I do have my music backed up on an external, but still...
    Do you mean to install a new internal hard drive? If so, do you think there would be any problem with doing that and keeping everything music-wise as it is?

Thanks for the forum advice, please reply to this if you have the time.

bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/13 10:32:08 (permalink)
    I believe the "WX" errors refer to this https://www.wxwidgets.org/. Look in the Windows logs for error messages; it may point to the true cause of the failure. The description above, unusually long load times and missing files (files no longer able to be read), could indicate a drive failure.

Assuming it is the drive and the programs are installed along with the OS, then it would be a new system drive. It may also be the case that some things on the failing drive may not be recoverable.

Depending on the age of the machine, it may be time for a new PC.
    post edited by scook - 2014/03/13 10:40:29
    Cactus Music
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/13 10:37:57 (permalink)
    +1 as always to Steves advice. 
    I metioned a new drive only because I find it worth while for the small cost to start fresh and it also means you can keep the old drive as a backup untouched. Re do the computer and install the old drive as a second drive to recover your old material. 

There is no danger of things changing as long as you have all you plug ins etc. The CWP files and the audio folders that go with them contain everything.

DON"T USE BUNDLE FILES> 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/14 04:20:24 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks you guys, I really appreciate your input. It does seem as though I spend far more time these days as an IT than a musician-and while learning can be fun, I'm getting fairly sick of jacking around with dlls and all this other stuff. I'll take your word for it about the drive and the new pc. and thanks for the advice on the second drive, I would have just done it from my external but your way makes more sense. Also, thanks for the advice on the bundles. I hate to do this, but while I'm here ( if you read this), I also just got this:

"Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library
    Runtime error!
    Program:C:\Program Files\Cakewalk|Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe

R6034
    An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

The programs (Sonar and Reason) are still working fine as far as I can tell except that seemed to have lost the ability in Reason to enable my Redrum sequencer, which is unfortunate.

If you are still here, has this ever happened to you or do you have some idea why this has happened? I've researched this and it has happened, for seemingly reasons unknown, to others but not in the music biz. Seems to be with other programs that I would not use-like maybe programmer stuff. Please chime in on this if you have experienced it before or have some idea about what happened or how to fix it.

Thanks for your fast replies, hope you have time for one more

bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/14 10:22:52 (permalink)
    I have experienced drive failure but no one would experience the exact same problems. If the drive is failing, more and more issues will show up ultimately resulting in a complete system failure. Complete failure may take years or seconds depending on the location of the errors on the disk.
    bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/16 02:51:18 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks again. I'm not convinced necessarily of the bad drive idea, but everyone seems to think so. This may be the case. I do thank everyone who chimed in here. I guess I'll just keep on bangin on until she shuts down.

Thanks again,
    bob
    Cactus Music
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/16 11:39:44 (permalink)
    just make sure you have a complete back up and carry on. Have you run the defrag and disk utilities to scan for errors?

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/16 12:55:13 (permalink)
    Was there any error information in the Windows logs? Disk failure seems a good candidate with the available information. It could be a virus. It could be something else or a combination of things. Although the content of a complete  backup at this point would be questionable, it may be instructive as to the extent of the problem. So too a defrag and error check. I would not expect it to do much good and may accelerate the failure. Again, it is all speculation based on few clues and no data from the logs.
    Ruben
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 472
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/16 16:13:04 (permalink)
    Run a manual chkdsk on the drive and see if it finds any errors.

bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/17 19:49:37 (permalink)
    Hello again, it seems there may still be some hope here! Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I'll try to provide more info. I'm no pc tech by any means, so it may not seem too coherent:

When I first ran into this problem, I did not want to look into the choice that seemed most correct which was bad memory. I figured it must be some sort of damnable malware or virus. I spent alot of time toward that end. Malware bytes found nothing, yes, even in safe mode. 
    I eventually moved on to the Memtest 86 routine (didn't want to learn anymore! Oh no!) But I did, and discovered after about 24 hours of straight testing (per strip) that I had 2 bad 1 gig memory strips. Seemed hard to believe, but it did stop all the BSOD that I was getting, thereby seemingly eliminating the malware/virus angle. I bought 2 new Kingston I think it was and installed. PC says I have my memory back again.

Now, somewhere along here, before I fully knew I had a major problem, I downloaded an update to Audacity. This seems like where everything turned to crapola. There were no problems with this as far as scans go, but I recently looked deeper into this (love spending all my time on forums researching things like this, don't you?) and discovered that there was some sort of problem with XP and the Audacity update-it wasn't just me. What happens is an immediate crash with either blue screen or just black screen. One of these error codes implicated my Line6 drivers which I find hard to believe since I've never had problems with this before-ever.

All along I've run many chk disk scans and tried scannow. I never know whats happened with these, it just finishes and sits there looking at me-no info on what it finds that's relevant to me and my problem.

I'm sure there is more, but I'll just leave this here for now to see if this indicates anything to anyone.
    As far as I'm concerned, it all mostly traces back to that Audacity download. Like you said, it may be a combination of things. Either way it sucks bad, and I sure wish I could fix this.

Oh yeah, I didn't get a restore disk for this Dell Inspiron 530, although I have downloaded one, but am afraid to use for several reasons-mostly just can't trust anyone except in this forum.  Sorry I didn't mention that earlier-don't hate me brothers!

Thank you for using your precious time to read this and comment, I do truly appreciate it.
    Let me know if you think of anything to try.

bob
    bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/17 20:00:25 (permalink)
    Sorry friends, i forgot to mention that I reloaded all but two of the .dlls which I found in my sys32. This improved the load times considerably, but when I did this I picked up a second  Visual C++ library runtime error exactly stated as the first one. Does this help with a diagnosis? After looking into this, I'm trying to determine whether to reload (I've already downloaded it from Microslop) this and install. I have 3 different version on my pc. From 2006 2008 and 2010. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems to me like this Audacity update (mentioned previously) did something to cause this Visual C++ Library runtime error.
    Please let me know if you have had something to do with this problem before and what I should do. Do you think I can reload this library or might that be hazardous.
    Also if you happen to know of a nice safe place where I can download this XP restore/repair disk I would feel better about this poor pc's chances.

thanks

bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/18 11:43:50 (permalink)
    This information does make a difference. Maybe a clean reinstall of the affected software will clear it up. This would involve uninstalling the software, cleaning the registry and reinstalling. Hopefully it will also clear up the MS lib errors. If not you may need to grab them from MS and reinstall them too. Since XP support is becoming a thing of the past, updating software is going to become more of a problem.
    bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/22 03:20:49 (permalink)
    Hi there, and thanks for responding again. Question for you, if you would be so kind, uninstalling the software, cleaning the registry and reinstalling, as you said-what would you recommend for cleaning the registry. As I understand it, this is a very dangerous proposition to undertake. I believe you are right, there are probably many registry errors. I have made a few attempts to salvage or repair my registry with mostly system mechanic and Microsoft. I don't know if it has done any good or not. Would you have a checklist, so to speak that you would follow and where can I get a safe registry cleaner that isn't either loaded with malware or destroys more than it should. I read on a forum that these cleaners were like using a shotgun to perform a simple surgery. That sounds bad to me.
    I'd like to hear what you think if you have time to respond.

Thanks

bob
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/22 03:48:49 (permalink)
    If you want to clean your registry,try ccleaner. Get it here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/22 03:59:19 (permalink)
    The usual disclaimers about backup and comfort level apply when working in the registry.  While I have messed with Cakewalk registry entries, I have not had the pleasure of reinstalling the Cakewalk software. Here is an example of the process using a newer OS and SONAR, http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2817470. I cannot give you road map for SHS on XP but it should be similar.
    post edited by scook - 2014/03/22 04:31:33
    bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/23 03:45:04 (permalink)
    Grem I thank you for your response. Do you have experience with CCleaner? I actually have, I guess, a slightly older download of this but am scared as hec to try it. I mean, couldn't I wipe out some critical stuff? Once upon a time, I would just take the program's advice, but, nowadays, with much more at stake with my music programs and all their files (dlls and stuff), I'm kinda fearful to try then though I have a feeling that the problem lies there (maybe).
    Have you used that download site before? There are so many greedy bastards out there these days, they could care less if they destroy all your hard work.

Please let me know if you have the time and thanks for your help.

Hey scook, that's funny, "I have not had the pleasure of reinstalling the Cakewalk software" Me neither. I wonder if it is that bad....Thanks for supplying the link. Haven't checked it yet, but I will. That may be what I have to do, then again, it may solve nothing for this problem.  Thanks again

bob

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/23 10:57:43 (permalink)
    Although I have not found it necessary to perform a reinstall, it is not difficult. The uninstall and install are simple program executions. The registry keys are easily located and removed by hand, assuming some familiarity with editing the registry. The keys are all clustered together in two spots. In this situation, it would be pretty high on the list of possible fixes. Worst case, it fixes nothing.
    bobernaut
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/24 16:57:18 (permalink)
    I never thought I would have to re-install either, but here it is, I guess. What happens if you just go to add/remove programs to uninstall? Will this not take care of the uninstall? It seems more and more, that going to add/remove is not the recommended way to remove programs for reasons I don't know. If you have the time and inclination, could you tell me what these 2 reg keys look like or where to find them exactly (best guess). I just get a little lurchy when I start thinking about messing with them for some reason. If you don't want to I won't hold it against you. I just want to be as prepared as I can before I start. And, thanks for all your help.

bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Missimg .DLLs, any ideas, please? 2014/03/24 17:44:52 (permalink)
    The uninstall will remove the software but will leave the registry entries and support files in your user directory. The registry keys will look similar to the ones in the link provided. That is about as specific as I can get.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1