Regestering original works

Author
pigwart12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2014/03/13 14:21:37 (permalink)

Regestering original works

I'm curious as to how you handle registration of your original work. I know that there are sites that handle registration on the web, but I would question the cost as well as the reliability factor. I previewed one site that charges $30 for 4 songs---they've been around a long time, but it seems the cost might get quite prohibitive. What do you think is the danger of piracy on the streaming sites like Sound Cloud or Sound Click? Thanks for your ideas----Keith

MC6, Vista Dual Core, 3GB, Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000, Roland E5 Synth, Casio WK110 Keys

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Regestering original works 2014/03/13 14:43:44 (permalink)
    I don't worry with copyright.... at least the Library of Congress kind. It's a per song.... I forget the current price because I don't use it.

My publisher handles that registration process for me when they sign my music and I don't have to pay.

That's not to say I don't protect my music because I do. I use a program called MasterWriter. It is lyric writing and organizing software which comes with what appears to be a lifetime access to their SONGUARD service. So I can register as many songs or snippets of songs as I want at no cost as a registered buyer of Masterwriter.

Masterwriter is available on a monthly or yearly reduced cost license fee.... or you can pay $200 to own the license outright.  If you write a lot of music this is the way to go.... I register completed songs, things I work on with others and even instrumental music on Songuard. It's cost me about $2 per song with the number of registered songs. 

On the other hand.... depending on your writing abilities, most folks really don't need to worry about someone ripping your songs off. It's a very rare event and the music generally has to be well written to bother to rip it off.  Why rip off something that won't be sell-able?

When you post something on the internet web sites, the servers there record all the important things, such as date it was posted and time.  That info remains tagged to the file. It's a low level copyright date of creation kind of thing. Basically, that's all the LOC copyright is as well.  The only useful purpose for the LOC copyright is if you have to go to court, as the courts will ONLY accept the LOC copyright info for FILING the case.  A third party service, as long as it is secure, a competent lawyer would have no problem proving you created the song in question.

Oh yeah, regardless of how you choose to register it (or not) you should always include the copyright symbol or the word COPYRIGHT plus name & year on everything you post.

Copyright is automatic under the law when a song is rendered to a medium such as digital or physical for listening of the general public. The LOC or other is a formality so to speak that proves it.

Hope this helps.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    pigwart12
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Regestering original works 2014/03/13 14:51:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb---good info----Keith

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1