Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song.....

Author
aglewis723
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
2014/03/20 15:33:16 (permalink)

Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song.....

Hello Everyone,

This might be a noob question but I figured I would ask.   

I have a piece of music that I have certain instruments playing throughout.   Everything sounds nice in the chorus (the busy parts), but in the verses, these instruments are just too loud, they stick out like a sore thumb.   

Is this just a matter of needing to turn the volume down on these tracks with an envelope?  Or is there some compression technique I need to employ?

I am an electronic musicians, so I am talking mostly synth riffs here.  However, I have the same problem with the snare drum.  Hits nice in the chorus but too upfront in the quieter verses.

Thank You,
Adam

"Do No Harm"

13 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/20 16:15:39 (permalink)
    Volume automation is where I would start if I were you. This way you can just allow the automation to lower in the verses and get louder for the chorus parts.

Compression is also very important. But in some electronic instrumentation, it's not as needed as real instrumentation because the dynamics are different as well as the transients. I'm not saying don't compress, but you may not need much depending on what sounds you are using. Compression will keep things consistent and will stop certain instruments from taking over the mix. This along with automation are the two best solutions and what I personally do in all of my mixes. So that's where I'd start if I were you.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    aglewis723
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/20 16:24:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Danny!   I will try with that.   Listening to your song "Fool" right now.  Awesome guitar work.  This is like Def Leppard meets Aerosmith meets very cool songwriting!!!

Classic 80's rock sound!  Glad people are still making music like that!!!'

Do you play out in NJ?   I live in Long Branch, would def go see you one day!

-Adam

"Do No Harm"
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/20 16:44:36 (permalink)
    aglewis723
    Thanks Danny!   I will try with that.   Listening to your song "Fool" right now.  Awesome guitar work.  This is like Def Leppard meets Aerosmith meets very cool songwriting!!!

Classic 80's rock sound!  Glad people are still making music like that!!!'

Do you play out in NJ?   I live in Long Branch, would def go see you one day!

-Adam

Haha thanks Adam. :) I so need to update my page with some new music. Still have the 80's writing, but more "now" production. :) Glad you liked it though, thanks!

Yeah try the compression and automation. It will definitely help you out. Man, you're only an hour and 30 minutes from me. We should definitely hook up sometime and hang out.

I do play in NJ, PA and DE with my cover band. My original band plays overseas most of the time...but we probably won't be playing for at least a year or so. We're working on a new album that I can't wait to release.

The cover band (you can find us on face book) uses two names because we play mixed sets of rock/metal from the 70's to present (we go by Skeleton Crew for the mixed stuff) and then we do a Van Halen tribute which is called Van Halen Nation. We're in south jersey this Saturday at a new place (Shady Katie's) which is about an hour and 20 mins from you. Would love to meet you and hang out sometime. :) I always try to hook up with the NJ guys on the forum but our stars never seem to align.

Anyway, good luck with the automation and compression stuff. That will fix you right up brother. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/20 17:03:51 (permalink)
    Envelopes ....definitely....  I use them in every track and add the nodes manually.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 00:39:02 (permalink)
    Envelopes again.  You'd be surprised how much difference a few dBs up or down across several tracks makes.  And don't forget to ramp or fade on sound into the next.   And the levels should be similar, the same way the level should sound the same as you go from the lead vocal to lead guitar break.

Another thing to try is putting those synth bits through a buss w/ the SSL buss comp on it.  Sometimes that squishes the louder sound down yet let's it poke above the rest.  It can be very smooth.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    aglewis723
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 12:57:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone for the help so far!   

Here's the thing about the evelopes that has me wondering about that or if maybe I have some EQ issue.   So for instance, I got this one song where its a synth bass playing a relatively simple bass line all through the song.  The verses are pretty much drum and bass, and the bass sounds too loud in the verses, but in the chorus it fits in nicely.  Its too boomy in the verses, but im wondering if it's just too boomy in general.   Also my snare drum.  

I cant imagine a live drummer turning down the mic volume on his snare during the verse during a live show, u know?

Thank You,
    Adam

PS - Dany - sent you a PM

"Do No Harm"
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 15:47:02 (permalink)
    Definitely simple manual volume adjustments are the first thing to try.  If the bass is too boomy overall, EQ it.

though,

One thing I would recommend, if you find it hard to fix it in the mix, think about fixing it in the music.  If the bass is distracting in the verses, ask yourself if you really need so much of it.  Song writing and composing is as much about what you leave out as what you put in.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 15:48:17 (permalink)
    I cant imagine a live drummer turning down the mic volume on his snare during the verse during a live show, u know?

Though in larger productions, this is exactly what happens, usually not with the drummer, but with a pro sound man and a digitally pre-programmed mixer.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 16:56:24 (permalink)
    Envelope the bass down a few db where it's in the verses.  Sometimes a few dbs will make all the difference in the world. 

If you EQ it, you will want to use the same EQ throughout so it still sounds like the same bass.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 19:07:28 (permalink)
    Any decent dynamic and sensitive drummer  (rare)  will simply do this themselves.  I usually play the verses a little quieter and hit the choruses a little harder, all just in the way the dynamics are used in the player. (no one seems to be factoring that in here so far)  This approach requires no one to alter drum levels on anything.  In fact all band members should be doing this in some form or another.

A good trick as well is to use a small mono Auratone type speaker down at low volume to check mixes at various parts of your music.  Any slight out of balance situation seems to sound much worse under these conditions.

Not sure I completely agree with Herb regarding bass EQ being the same all the way through a song.  Hey why not do the opposite and change the bass EQ from verse to chorus slightly.  It will still sound like the same bass but have slightly more impact in the choruses as a result.  I have done this in a few situations and it was very effective.  Great way to lift a chorus slightly.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/03/21 19:11:54

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 19:35:12 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Any decent dynamic and sensitive drummer  (rare)  will simply do this themselves. 

I am sensitive to that statement....

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/21 20:44:08 (permalink)
    Where the deer and the envelopes play... Where seldom is heard, and verse that includes a loud word? And the mains are all happy each day.

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Help! Sounds stick out in quieter parts of the song..... 2014/03/23 03:03:07 (permalink)
    +1 for automating the EQ on a track. It's not something I have done very often, but it does work in some situations. One situation is when you've thinned out an instrument with a high pass filter in order to make it sit better in a busy mix, but there's a quieter part of the song where this instrument takes front stage. You don't want to showcase the "thin" version, so automating the filter's cutoff to bring more of the lower frequencies back into it at this point makes sense. If you have EQ's with automatable bypass switches, you can just set up a separate EQ for each part of the song and bypass the on/off of each if that's easier. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1