no metronome in project

Author
manm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2014/03/22 08:10:37 (permalink)

no metronome in project

I've spent hours trying to resolve this issue. Reinstalling did not fix it either.

One of my project files does not play the metronome at all. I've tried creating new projects and it works fine there. It has worked previously.

17 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/22 09:18:07 (permalink)

I normally do not want a metronome in my projects.

Instead, I generally import a drum track or use my drum synth to create one. To me, it's just more natural to play to a drummer than to keep time with a midi click.

The metronome controls are immediately to the right of the BLUE box with the time display. The 3 stacked boxes with the metronome icon and the 2 above it control what you hear, and when you hear it.

Have you enabled it in the tool bar to give you sound?  

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/22 09:21:50 (permalink)
    Fair question, guitarhacker.

I am a big fan of using the metronome & a drum track at the same time.

As for your question, yes. I've enabled the metronome for playback and recording. I've verified that the output is set to the hardware that I'm using. I've verified the the sound files exist (found the location in the project file via opening it in notepad). I've used the metronome successfully in new projects AND I've used the metronome in this project previously. 

So I'm looking in to a way to move all my data into a fresh project. Frustrating and in my opinion far from necessary.

WIsh me luck.
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/22 09:26:52 (permalink)
    update & double post.

solution found!

upon saving my project as a new project (opening project with issue > FIle> save as...) it's all fine.

It's probably an issue with the project file itself but I don't develop the software so I can only guess.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/23 07:48:12 (permalink)
    never mind. same problem happening again. 

retried old solution. no luck.

this is starting to get old and frustrating. I really shouldn't have to spend this much time trying to solve this issue.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/24 08:25:37 (permalink)
    OK.. I have had some issues with project sound.... and copying to a new project...track by track did work.

So.. if the issue is at first resolved by copying to a new project but them sound goes away...... what are you doing in between the copy and the sound going away?

Also..... what computer, OS, sound card and driver are you using ?

BMI/NSAI

manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/24 17:02:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply GuitarHacker. In the meantime I have done what you suggested and simply created my own click track. At least it works consistently; it just creates more work.

Sound Card(s): Line 6 GX, Steinberg CI2 (not run together, but used for different purposes)
    Driver: ASIO

As for what I'm doing in between the copy and the sound going away I'm simply recording guitars & bass  through the GX and vocals through the CI2. I can't exactly pinpoint when the program decides to stop using the metronome but I have a feeling it's during the switching of devices. A big reason why I think that that is the case is simply because I cannot change the sound levels of the beats in the project that has the metronome issue; they simply revert to whatever was remembered last.

Having said that, even though it would be easier (in general) to use the in built metronome I've given up with it. I'm over trying to find a fix for this issue as it's taken up enough hours where I could have done something more constructive.

Thanks for your help.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/25 08:22:05 (permalink)
    You can easily save a midi loop somewhere convenient and just drag it in to a new project, assign the drum synth and waa laa....  it only takes a minute literally, to create the drum/timing track.

Use a decent sounding drum synth and you will like it even better.  Generally, at some point in the song creation process, you are going to put a drum track in it anyway.....so why not start with the drum track.... or at least a basic track that can then later be modified and edited as needed.

Even if I'm recording something that will have no drums, such as a straight up piano or acoustic guitar vocal sort of thing..... I use a drum track for the timing track.....it's just so much easier to hear the drums vs a click. Once I get the instrument track in place and on time, I mute the drums.

I used to use Jamstix almost exclusively as my drum synth. I simply placed one midi note in measure 130 and told Jamstix to jam to the midi. It would start in the count in and play all the way to that measure (130) and stop. Most songs are way less then 130 measures so once the songs actual length was established, I would go back and edit JS to end in the proper place.  I would then drop in the fills and such things.....I would spend an hour or so editing the drum track as I worked. Considering that many songs would have dozens of hours of work in them, an hour or two on the drum track was not much.

BMI/NSAI

manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/25 17:13:07 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    You can easily save a midi loop somewhere convenient and just drag it in to a new project, assign the drum synth and waa laa....  it only takes a minute literally, to create the drum/timing track.

Use a decent sounding drum synth and you will like it even better.  Generally, at some point in the song creation process, you are going to put a drum track in it anyway.....so why not start with the drum track.... or at least a basic track that can then later be modified and edited as needed.

I realise that it doesn't take that long to create a click track using a drum synth. That's what I'm doing now. The reason that I want to use the metronome is because I can use a 4 count intro into whatever track I wish to record on.

In order for me to correct mistakes in a certain track I now need to
    1) create a new track.
    2) record what I want on this new track
    3) put it into the old track (as I find it neater)

instead of
    1) place my cursor where I want on the current track.
    2) record what I want, where I want it.

The whole process is simplified in both cases but it is basically extra (unnecessary) steps to achieve the same thing by not using the metronome.

I am using EZdrummer for my drums but that's beside the point. I like having a click track while I record.

It's also quicker to configure the metronome instead of synth drums to get a sound that cuts through the mix more easily.

In other words the solution you provided (and the one that I'm using) is great but it's a workaround that requires more steps and that is simply something that I find annoying because a feature exists in the program to do what I want but it doesn't work properly.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/25 22:20:29 (permalink)
    Each time you change recording devices, are you changing what device the metronome plays through?
    Have you tried punch recording to correct mistakes? This allows you to play along to your recorded tracks but will only record what you're playing at the places you selected.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/25 22:23:34 (permalink)
    Hi 57Gregy,

Sorry I'm new(ish) to recording music. I haven't tried punch recording but that does sound interesting. I'll have to look into it.

As for the metronome output, yes that is actually done automatically (or so the screen is telling me). Having said that while encountering this issue using the audio metronome (I haven't tried this using the midi) I cannot change the sound level settings for the audio metronome (stays at +1 db for both no matter what I do).
    Guitarhacker
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/26 09:53:48 (permalink)
    Just do what I do.

I always start the song at Beat 1 of measure 3.   That gives me 2 complete measures of count in to get ready, plus if the song has a lead in riff, it fits neatly into the last beats of measure 2.... 

After I'm done recording, I use my audio editor to trim that count in off the front end of the song.

Punch recording is a huge time saver.  Learn about it. I normally split the clip before and after the mistake with the snap to grid turned on. Then I highlight the new clip that will be replaced, use the "auto set" the punch markers, and then delete the audio from the clip..... set the time line to a few measures before the first split..... hit record and start playing along. By using the snap to grid to set the splits and aligning the punch points as well.... the new take will be seamless and there will not be a click or a pop coming in or going out..... the new take will be perfect...assuming you get the part correct that second time through.... if not... delete the take and repeat the process until you nail it.  then click SAVE.....and move on.

BMI/NSAI

manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/26 23:38:45 (permalink)
    GuitarHacker,

Repeating myself here but I do intend to do something similar :) But that's simply a workaround for a bug in some software that I paid for.

I will look into punch recording. Thanks for explaining it a little bit.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/27 09:55:03 (permalink)
    contact tech support.  it's email support only for MC customers, but they should be able to fix the problem for you

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/27 17:27:08 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I have contacted Tech Support but user forums tend to get more constructive responses in a more timely manner, so I came here looking for similar experiences.

Somehow the metronome started working again last time I used the application. I think it has something to do with the amount of effects I was using but I can't say for sure. I transported a lot of effects to buses (is that the right term?) and attached them as sends to tracks (is that the right term?). Again, I'm only new to audio production so I still have a lot to learn :)

So it might be a  memory/FX count thing. I can only guess considering the fact that the metronome used to start working again by restarting the application.
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/28 20:29:09 (permalink)
    seems that I spoke too soon haha

I'll continue trouble shooting when I can be bothered.
    manm
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/30 20:18:02 (permalink)
    for those interested I have found the solution.

This was tested using only the ASIO driver along with 2 audio interfaces: Line 6 GX (non studio), Steinberg CI2. Both have their drivers completely up to date.

OS is windows 7 pro x64. 16GB RAM and AMD CPU.

When switching between inputs & outputs the application needs to be rebooted. No reboot means that the metronome will not work.  I assume the application assigns the metronome output on boot and not during the input/output switch. But I can only guess.

Also, using too many FX will also cause the metronome to not work. I learned about using stereo buses (which has caused me other problems) and this helped me to reduce my FX count significantly.

Since I have located these two problems I have had no dramas with the audio metronome in Music Creator 6.

I hope this helps whoever happens to read it.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: no metronome in project 2014/03/31 17:19:19 (permalink)
    thanks for sharing that!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1