SOLVED - With Step-by-Step and Images - HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400

Author
WillyWonka71
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2014/03/22 15:57:34 (permalink)

SOLVED - With Step-by-Step and Images - HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400

Good day all,

I am having issues with routing the Lexicon MX400 to Sonar X3.  I am using a Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP as my audio interface.

I have the analog outputs 5 and 6 (out of the Saffire 24 DSP) going into the Lexicon MX400 Analog Input A, Left and Right channels.

I am getting an input signal through the Lexicon.  No problem.  This is where I get confused.  I am using SPDIF In and Out of the Saffire into SPDIF of the Lexicon as well.  (As recommended through Sweetwater support).

I open Sonar X3 Producer and open the mixer.  I created a BUS called Lexicon.  I tried to route the OUTPUT to SPDIF L (the only SPIF choice that displays but I get nothing!

(UGH!!)  I know Focus products have the Saffire MixController but its confusing.

I have a screenshot of what I currently have selected:

I have even tried to create an external insert on the FX bin with no success.  Since I am a total NOOB (Gawd the truth hurts)and I have NEVER used hardware effects on Sonar, could anyone be as so kind to help a ding dong like me figure this out?

I cannot thank you enough and thank you so much in advance.  I will be happy to answer any questions or provide screenshots.

Frustrated in Memphis, 

WillyWonka71  (Dave)

post edited by WillyWonka71 - 2014/03/29 11:54:31
LunaTech
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/22 19:14:19 (permalink)
So I have the MX 400 also except that I use it via the quarter inch inputs and outputs.  With that said... Just to reiterate .. outputs five and six from the interface feed the inputs to the lexicon.. The output (return) of the lexicon is going to SPdif of the interface.. The lexicon has routing that needs to be aware of this setup. Also...what in Mix control is taking the SPdif output? This would generally go to a channel(s) for the effect signal... So in my setup.. the output of the daw is sent to a physical output on the interface which feeds the input into the MX and the "output" signal of the MX is "returned" to a channel(s) on the interface and then those channels are captured in the DAW setup. I don't thing that SPdif setup in theory should be much different.

Once that is mapped out the external insert follows that mapping for latency free effects. IHTH

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
WillyWonka71
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/23 08:44:40 (permalink)
LunaTech,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am doing my best to follow allow with everything you said but I certainly can't thank you enough. 

The lexicon has routing that needs to be aware of this setup.

I have looked on the lexicon System menu for this routing.

I still do not have this working but I will continue to read and make sure all settings (clock sync) are correct.

I will post back if I run into further issues.

-WillyWonka71

LunaTech
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/23 11:06:39 (permalink)
Hi WillieWonka,

Below is an excerpt about the SPdif routing for the MX 400.. IHTH..

S/PDIF Digital In/Out
Digital input accepts 44.1kHz / 48kHz signals. When the S/PDIF digital input is selected
and active, the S/PDIF LED on the front panel lights.
Important: It is recommended that you do not connect any digital device to the
MX400’s S/PDIF inputs that transmits at sample rates other than 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
(such as 96kHz). Doing so can cause unpredictable performance. Make sure the device
you are connecting to the MX400’s S/PDIF In is set as the Clock Master (if that option
is available) and transmitting at a sample rate of 44.1kHz or 48kHz only. As with any
other connection, if you need to unplug the S/PDIF cable, it is recommended that you
switch to the analog inputs (see Input Source in the System menus) or bypass both
processors before disconnecting the cable.

The MX400 and Digital I/O
The MX400 is equipped with two digital inputs and outputs (S/PDIF A and B). Each
S/PDIF pair is the digital equivalent of analog input/output pairs A and B. The digital
outputs on the MX400 are always active and will always mirror their analog output
counterparts. This allows you to plug in an analog input source and have it be output
as a digital stream.

The MX400 has three options for input sources which are configurable in the System
Menu: Analog Mono Left, Analog Stereo and Digital. (Press the System
button to access the System Menu; turn the Page/Select knob to scroll up and down
the menu.) Each input pair (A and B) can have different audio sources selected depending on your
needs. While in the System Menu, use Knobs A, B, and C to change values. As with
all equipment that receives digital audio streams, when setting either Input Source A or
B to Digital, the MX400 can no longer use its own internal clock source for the audio
stream, and it is necessary to change the clock source from the MX400’s internal clock
to Digital. Furthermore, the MX400 only receives external clock sync on the S/PDIF A input.
This means when using both Digital inputs (A and B), the devices that are connected
must be synced to a common clock source to work properly with the MX400.
If the Clock Source isn’t changed to Digital when digital input sources are selected,
there will be synchronization problems between the incoming digital audio stream
and the MX400’s processing, and the System Input Source menu will display DIG NO
LOCK. When the MX400 is properly synchronized with the incoming digital audio,
the System’s Input Source menu will display DIGITAL.

The MX400 only runs at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz sample rate (using internal or external
clock sources). Do not connect external digital outputs to the MX400 that run at higher
sample rates (88.2 - 192 kHz) as the MX400 cannot accept them.

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

WillyWonka71
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/23 11:17:59 (permalink)
LunaTech,

I was reading that EXACTLY when you sent it.  Thank you again for taking the time once again.

Since I am using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 that I have an optical cable attached to a Octopre MK II and I am currenly using the sync source in the Saffire MixControl as: ADAT.

Now I am trying to figure what the clock source on the Lexicon should be:  INT 44.1kHz  or DIG 44.1 kHz.  I am ONLY using ONE of the S/PDIF pairs in the back.  This the "A" input pair.  I am coming OUT of the Saffire Pro S/PDIF and into the Lexicon S/PDIF in.  Then OUT of the Lexicon S/DIF and back into the Saffire S/PDIF Pro Input.

I will do some more reading and testing and see if I can get this to work.  Once again, thank you so much for your assistance.

-WillyWonka71 (Dave)
post edited by WillyWonka71 - 2014/03/23 11:24:38
WillyWonka71
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/29 11:55:30 (permalink)
All,
With tons of trial and error as well as help from LunaTech (thank you) I have solved my issue.  I wanted to try and give back to the forum so I included details of how my setup works. Please understand that I will give as much detail as I can in hopes of helping someone else.

Step 1.

In the image below, I am using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP and I have 2 SPDIF cables coming out and into the
Lexicon MX400 SPDIF inputs.  See Step 2 for image.  Please notice in this image the 2 white analog cables coming out of outputs 5 and 6 on the Saffire Pro.

Step 2.

This image is the back of the Lexicon MX400 (the middle device).  As you can see, I am using the SPDIF input (Channel A only) coming out of the Saffire Pro 24 (see image above). Also notice the "Analog Input" on the Lexicon MX400. Both left and right channels are coming out of channels 5 and 6 (see image above) from the Saffire Pro and into the Lexicon MX400 Analog Inputs A left and right.

Step 3.

In the Saffire MixControl, open the "Router" section and choose the following inputs.

What this is doing is routing anything that coming out of the Saffire Pro channels 5 and 6 and route them to the SPDIF outputs 1 and 2. (Remember the analog cables coming out of the Saffire Pro coming out of channels 5 and 6?)

Step 4.

On the front Lexicon MX400, press the "system" button.  You have to change the following settings:

"Input Source A"  - Digital     - This is set because the SPDIF (digital) is connected on the "A" section (see step 2 image).  If both A and B were used, they would both be set to digital.

"Clock Source" - Dig 44.1. kHz  (Digital and what I am using out of Sonar X3 Producer for my sample rate.  They have to match). Also, make sure that your sample rate in the Saffire MixControl matched what you have in Sonar.

MIDI Clock SYNC - SYNC  (This should be SYNC NOT "OFF")

Step 5.

Open Sonar X3 Producer (if you have it) and create a Bus and name it something like "Lexicon" or "external reverb" something you can remember.  It really doesn't matter.  Once the is created, go to the FX bin and insert the "External Insert" plug-in.  You should be able to right-click and find it.  On the left, choose the "Saffire Pro Line 5" as the SEND and the Saffire Pro SPDIF L or R or Stereo as the Return.  Mine is set for "Saffire Pro SPDIF stereo".

After this is complete, create a new audio track in Sonar.  For this example, I am using the Saffire Pro L Channel 1 (where my mic is currently plugged in.  You can change this based on the device you have plugged in).  In the output section, choose whatever you named the Lexicon MX400 bus.  Since you routed the BUS with the External Insert, it should route the source from Output of Line 5 from the Saffire Pro to the Input of the SPDIF channel. (In my case the Saffire Pro Stereo SPDIF input. 

Test the audio on the new audio track and if everything is working correctly, you should be able to hear the sound from the device with the Lexcion.

I hope this helps and I want to thank this forum for all the past help as well as LunaTech for their assistance.

Thanks All!!

Take care,

WillyWonka71 (Dave in Memphis)
LunaTech
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/29 12:47:51 (permalink)
Hi Dave,

I am glad that it all got sorted out and thanks for sharing.  One last item you may be interested in trying is the VST plug-in for the MX-400. I am not currently using it because it is 32 bit and I am trying to stay all 64 bit plugs. With that said, if you load the software and connect the usb cable, it allows you to control the hardware from the VST. Keep in mind, unlike other VST's you can only have one instance.  Happy Music Production....

LunaTech
Re: HELP! Sonar X3 and Lexicon MX400 2014/03/29 12:55:49 (permalink)
Dave,

One final comment.. No need for thanks.  That's what (for the most part ) we are here for. I have gained so much from users on this forum ... FBB, Danny, Panu, Bapu, John .. many others.  It is my pleasure to contribute and give back as you have.  We help one another to create what we feel.. How cool is that?
post edited by LunaTech - 2014/03/30 11:53:15

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1