Room to Room Video Systems

Author
Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
2014/03/23 09:18:23 (permalink)

Room to Room Video Systems

Looking for info and experience in recording musicians in different rooms who have no visual contact, iso room tracking room, control room etc.

What are the hardware considerations for this application? Frame rate, monitor size, cabling, etc?

What are the pros and cons of analog versus digital video, cost, availability, reliability?

If digital, are stand alone systems or PC dependant systems a better choice? What kind of software in a PC based system? How much processor? Ram? Storage?

In a perfect world, the video system used for musicians to trade visual cues, would augment cameramen so that after tracking, several digital video streams would be stored and available for editing and mixing.

Big subject, I know, so links to repositories of information are welcome.

Thanks!

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0

5 Replies Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Room to Room Video Systems 2014/03/23 14:36:21 (permalink)
    Only thing I would know a little about are these (but then it looks as if it all is hooked up to only one monitor).
    http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/video-mux-cctv-multiplexer-p/vm-16rt.htm
    and other links there.
    and expensive.
    http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/security-camera-systems-s/71.htm

Video Outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 BNC, 4 Configurable BNC Spot Monitor Outputs
    16 Loop Outputs (1 per Channel)
    http://www.cctvcamerapros...a-DVR-p/idvr-pro16.htm

Of course there are other places also that sell security systems.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/03/23 15:01:39

Jay Tee 4303
    Re: Room to Room Video Systems 2014/03/23 23:08:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Spacealf. I have a video security system, but not sure it'll allow a drummer to hold things together, etc...

Lots to look at in those links, good stuff!

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    spacealf
    Re: Room to Room Video Systems 2014/03/24 04:10:15 (permalink)
    Well, perhaps you need this, but again, I do not know that much about it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videoconferencing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/...oint_videoconferencing

A lot to read there just on that.
    And I suppose depending there is also latency.
    (speed of light or sound not withstanding - or just light perhaps).
    ?????
    ----------------------------------------------
    webcams!

--------------------------------------from the link:
    The other components required for a videoconferencing system include:
    • Video input : video camera or webcam
    • Video output: computer monitor, television or projector
    • Audio input: microphones, CD/DVD player, cassette player, or any other source of PreAmp audio outlet.
    • Audio output: usually loudspeakers associated with the display device or telephone
    • Data transfer: analog or digital telephone network, LAN or Internet
    • Computer: a data processing unit that ties together the other components, does the compressing and decompressing, and initiates and maintains the data linkage via the network.
    There are basically two kinds of videoconferencing systems:
    1. Dedicated systems have all required components packaged into a single piece of equipment, usually a console with a high quality remote controlled video camera. These cameras can be controlled at a distance to pan left and right, tilt up and down, and zoom. They became known as PTZ cameras. The console contains all electrical interfaces, the control computer, and the software or hardware-based codec. Omnidirectional microphones are connected to the console, as well as a TV monitor with loudspeakers and/or a video projector. There are several types of dedicated videoconferencing devices:
      1. Large group videoconferencing are non-portable, large, more expensive devices used for large rooms and auditoriums.
      2. Small group videoconferencing are non-portable or portable, smaller, less expensive devices used for small meeting rooms.
      3. Individual videoconferencing are usually portable devices, meant for single users, have fixed cameras, microphones and loudspeakers integrated into the console.
    2. Desktop systems are add-ons (hardware boards, usually) to normal PCs, transforming them into videoconferencing devices. A range of different cameras and microphones can be used with the board, which contains the necessary codec and transmission interfaces. Most of the desktops systems work with the H.323 standard. Videoconferences carried out via dispersed PCs are also known as e-meeting.
    --------------------------------------------
    Even this forum wants to do things I did not want it to do, like make a continuing list when I was showing part of the webpage that was on the link. (there is no 3. whatever).
    The only thing I can think of is - money, and lots of it, so probably only corporations do this kind of thing, and it would not be the same as surveillance systems then.
    ------------------------------------------
    a computer, camera (desktop system) and computer monitor (and if including audio then a system for that) in every room you want to have a view in and of. ( I am suppposin' or guessing).
    all connected by a LAN and all the hardware that is needed.
    post edited by spacealf - 2014/03/24 04:38:15

spacealf
    Re: Room to Room Video Systems 2014/03/24 05:03:12 (permalink)
    Just thinking - surveillance systems - many views, perhaps can not hook up many monitors to central unit. Reduced resolution showing all views (all people) on single monitor (or more if they can be hooked up somehow). multi-plexing the viewing.
    Videoconferencing - many viewers - perhaps switching between only one view (one person showing at a time).
    ??
    If you grasp what I mean with that above.

Jay Tee 4303
    Re: Room to Room Video Systems 2014/03/25 06:45:17 (permalink)
    The security system I use has decent frame rates, audio, and multiplex capability, but the lense glass is pretty horrid.

In a perfect world, the room to room video feeds allowing performers visual contact, will also be available and useful for B-Roll cuts to augment "in the studio"/performance video edits.

I am hesitant to mix the security system with other video feeds, just a gut feeling that the two need to remain separate. I also don't delve deep into security systems, not that I mistrust anyone here, but you never know who might be lurking.

I'm heading towards PC based video systems. The control, tracking, and listening rooms all have ancilliary PCs besides the main DAWS, for the purpose of capturing video for release, so it SEEMS to be best to try and piggyback off that for room to room visual cue systems.

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1