Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2014/03/23 17:23:51 (permalink)

Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar

Well, this isn't the assignable sequencer feature that many of us have been longing for in Rapture.  It's my workaround to provide an ITB solution similar to the general hardware solution in this ghost town thread.  I'm always looking for ways to control most any Rapture parameter with an LFO, EG or sequencer.

• In a Sonar project, Insert Synth > Rapture, and any preset.  For this example, even a bare sine wavetable will do.
  • In the DSP section, select one of the 14 routings.  For DSP 1, select a distinctive distortion [Decim].

• Open up the Modulation Matrix.
  • Source: X/Y Pad X (or X/Y Pad Y)
  • Destination:  DSP 1 1
  • Depth:  100%
  • Smooth:  0.0

• Open up the X/Y pad.  Right-click, and select X MIDI Learn (or Y MIDI Learn).  It will be 'listening' for the next control input.

• Back in Sonar, create a clip.  Loop it, if you like.  It can be in the PRV, Step Sequencer, whatever, but it will need to contain a CC message, pitchbend, or aftertouch sequence to control Rapture's parameter (Decim, in this example).

• Hit Play in Sonar.  The MIDI control sequence will 'bind' to the X/Y MIDI Learn process in the X/Y Pad.  In turn, the X/Y Pad axis (X or Y) will control the destination parameter in the Modulation Matrix.  Result?  Sequenced decimation.

This may sound more complicated than it really is.  Bottom line: CC sequence -> X/Y Pad -> Modulation Matrix -> Decim.  Any destination parameter is fair game, but the more interesting ones don't already have a dedicated sequencer.  Or ... how about a (Sonar) clip sequence controlling another (Rapture) sequencer parameter, like Frequency, or Depth?

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar 2014/03/23 17:58:07 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty modular, Tom.  And mod as well.  I need to give it a try.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    PopStarWannabe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re: Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar 2014/03/26 07:49:17 (permalink)
    So you mean this is like a step generator for any parameter (the ones for Amp, Cut off, Resonance, Pan and Pitch being already provided in Rapture itself) ?

I don't understand, why you had go through the Mod Matrix and X-Y Pad at all...
    I MIDI-learned one particular (any) parameter and then drew the sequence of the assigned CC in Piano Roll with the mouse.

- Asus P5B-E
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    - RME Fireface UC (ASIO Driver)
    - Sonar X2a Producer (x64)

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re: Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar 2014/03/26 12:24:59 (permalink)
    PopStarWannabe
    So you mean this is like a step generator for any parameter (the ones for Amp, Cut off, Resonance, Pan and Pitch being already provided in Rapture itself) ?

I don't understand, why you had go through the Mod Matrix and X-Y Pad at all...
    I MIDI-learned one particular (any) parameter and then drew the sequence of the assigned CC in Piano Roll with the mouse.

What you are doing via MIDI Learn and CC is fine too.  I think the bonus to take away from this tutorial is that you could achieve modulation over the parameters in the mod matrix in a similar workflow to using the Rapture STEP GENs. There are also a few Mod destinations that you can't assign with MIDI Learn (things like Sample offset).  The other cool aspect of doing it this way is you have the depth and smooth controls to utilize as well.

A really brilliant application/workflow of Tom.  Don't know how I never thought about doing this before.  :)

b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Rapture "Assignable" Sequencer from Sonar 2014/03/26 20:23:33 (permalink)
    ... you could achieve modulation over the parameters in the mod matrix in a similar workflow to using the Rapture STEP GENs. There are also a few Mod destinations that you can't assign with MIDI Learn (things like Sample offset).

Exactly.  I gave a simple example (Decim), and that can be duplicated with a shorter direct routing.  But some features can only be exploited by 'funneling' through the Modulation Matrix.

The Sample destinations mentioned above.  Any type of envelope attack & release.  Control over the All parameters (modulation of six Element parameters with one routing).  Extended parameter ranges.  (Detune maxs out at a semitone on the GUI.  Four octaves through the Mod Matrix.)  Positive and negative values are available, too.

If you want to get really crazy, the 14 DSP/Filter routings can be MIDI Learned in each Element.  And all four Source, Destination, Depth, and Smoothing sections for each of the 24 Modulation Matrix slots can be MIDI Learned [Shift + right-click].  Very convoluted sequencing - very quickly - from a single source control sequence.

Don't know how I never thought about doing this before.

I was thinking the same thing.  And how many times have we discussed this kind of thing together?  I was looking for a way through for about the 1000th time, and there it was.  Hiding in plain sight.
    EDIT:  I must be channeling the Ultra Music Festival again. 
    post edited by b rock - 2014/03/26 20:26:50
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1