Question on taking audio from a phone line

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2014/03/27 14:23:08 (permalink)

Question on taking audio from a phone line

I am in the process of getting a podcast together and it would involve taking audio from the phone lines. My audio isn't as important because I can record it just fine in my studio. I mainly want the callers audio to be good from their end.

Some podcasts will do a co host show and the person who isn't in the studio will drop box a better recording to the studio. If they use Skype they might use it to line up the two audio tracks. I won't be doing this because I don't have a co host and because I don't want to require my interviewees to email me audio every time I talk to them.

I know people use Skype or the Google equivalent but basically most serious podcasters seem to use something like a Zoom recorder to record the audio and then they upload from SD card to computer and work with the audio. This eliminates all of the issues involved with lag time, computer noise and the unexpected computer glitch. I think it makes sens,avoids voip all together and keeps everything to a simplistic minimum. When using a zoom to record they also use a mixer to put one channel back through so the listener can hear the other person.

I know there are expensive specialty items for this but I don't want to spend ton of money on this and most of those won't work because they deal with an old analog phone line and I have my phone through my cable company. The cable company has a modem with a phone jack on it and I don't believe it works in the same way or would work with many of those other options.Plus I use cordless phones.

Here is an idea I had and I am open to comments or suggestions.

I get a phone system with multiple handsets from the same base . These handsets are capable of using a plug in headset. I take one handset and use that as my phone while also recording on my studio mic. I take another handset and use that as the phone to output the other persons audio. The only part of the output jack I would use from that handset is the audio out from the caller. I dial the show guest and soon after connection is made I put the second handset online and put that audio into my Mackie mixer to boost the signal and then forward it into a zoom recorder on one channel. I also take my audio into the same mixer and run it into the second channel of the zoom. 

I looked at the output jack on the phone handset I have and it is smaller than the typical 3.5mm found on most cell phones. I'm not sure about the impedences. I can get an adapter to take it from the smaller phone jack to a standard 3.5mm and I have a connector goes from 3.5mm to RCA L/R.  Any thoughts?

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

19 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/27 14:57:44 (permalink)
    Jk audio

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/27 19:28:16 (permalink)
    If you are talking landlines it is better to retrieve the signal from the phone line itself using the right gear though. You need a thing called a Hybrid. It essentially isolates the audio component and sends it out a separate output that can be used in studio and recording situations.

You can make one too as I did mine. It is bascialy a decent quality 600 ohm 1:1 transformer fed with a cap in series to remove the DC component on the phone line. The secondary winding can be used as the isolated output. Both conversations will appear on the audio line. (Yours (sidetone) and the other person that is)

As Mike says JkAudio seem to be in the business of providing such hardware.

The handset probably has a 2.5 mm connector on it. You could also start by trying a lead from that to 6.5mm jacks etc for the mixer end etc.. The signal might be OK there as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/27 20:21:42 (permalink)
    Is JK Audio still around??? I still have probably half a dozen of their gizmos in an old tool kit somewhere. No self respecting broadcast engineer would leave the building (or enter if for that matter) without a couple.

Jeff's description of a transformer with a blocking capacitor will work, but you will end up with both sides of the line. If you need to record both side that's great, if you can guarantee that no one on your side will speak it also works. And it is cheap!

A better solution is a "Wheatstone Bridge" (not to be confused with Wheatstone the audio manufacturer, although I am certain there is a connection there<G>). You can also build this, and it is the heart of the hybrid that was mentioned. With a bridge or a hybrid you can actually separate the two sides of the conversation and record them onto separate tracks - which is very often helpful.

My two favorites are the Symetrix TI-101 (later sold by Radio Systems) and anything from Gentner (who later became Clearone). I have a Symetrix TI-101 and Clearone TH-1 in my studio - they both work quite well. If I had to pick one I'd probably pick the TI-101, but I also have a couple other Clearone XAP boxes (they are used for audio conferencing, and are a lot of fun to play with), so I keep the TH-1 around. You can find both of these on eBay for very reasonable prices, and it is a lot easier than building one<G>!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Starise
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/28 10:24:03 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for your suggestions! 

Jeff, using the "right gear"  as you say is what I really wanted to do in the beginning and it's what I knew I should do. Since I already had the phone I figured maybe I could make use of it effectively. I think my idea for using it probably would have worked in the way I described but that whole thing would have been a band aid approach to the problem. I also checked out some of the JK gear Mike mentioned and it isn't terribly expensive.

I could  build something simple for the purpose, you all had some good recommendations on that, but when I seen the thing wst3 mentioned...the Symetrics TI-101 and looked at it.....that looks like the kind of thing radio stations use. It looks well built and it has  lots of capabilities. I was afraid of the cost and went to eBay to check it out......long story short I seen a deal I couldn't pass up and it should be at my house in  few days! I appreciate the help in finding something.

The thing is....I'll be using this a  lot,so I don't want something flimsy. I'm very happy with this choice. My only concern is my phone system. I take my phone feed off of a cable modem and I think it has jacks for two phones. In theory at least, I should get the same thing at the jack that you would get from any analog phone jack, otherwise how could a  typical home phone either cordless or not be cross compatible? Unless something in the phone or modem recognizes a difference and makes an internal change. I can plug any kind of phone into that jack as far as I know. The fact that it went through a  D/A conversion process across my cable system shouldn't matter. I hope I'm right about this....if not I'll be reselling this item.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/28 16:28:03 (permalink)
    My concept is rather crude but it does work as I found most of the time you want both conversations. But what Bill has suggested is difinitely better. It was interesting to see how many of those Symetrix units are for sale as well. They seem pretty good. You will be able to null out the unwanted conversation and record the two sides to the conversation separately which will be better in the long run. It also means you can feed your studio mic into the system as well and ultimately down the line too. Hope it all works out.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Starise
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/03/29 18:39:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff!

Twitter @Rodein

FLZapped
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/01 14:17:42 (permalink)
    JK is still around, Sweetwater carries what you want, look for the QuickTap
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/01 17:02:30 (permalink)
    Starise
    I take my phone feed off of a cable modem and I think it has jacks for two phones. In theory at least, I should get the same thing at the jack that you would get from any analog phone jack, otherwise how could a  typical home phone either cordless or not be cross compatible? Unless something in the phone or modem recognizes a difference and makes an internal change. I can plug any kind of phone into that jack as far as I know. 

Tim, the #2 jack is only active if you have a second phone line with a separate phone number.
    You can use a simple dual outlet/splitter plugged into the #1 jack.

Yes, the phone jack is effectively just like a normal pots jack, even though the modem is using voip.

A good signal is critical for you, and phone/internet is particularly sensitive to signal issues.
    If your cable provider is Charter, I can check it from here (I'm a Charter tech). If you are using Time Warner, have customer service test it. They can see the same thing I can in their own system.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/01 20:32:32 (permalink)
    I guess because it's cable the ringer voltage would not be an issue... 
    The voltage that makes an old school phone ring is around 90 Volts AC, not something to mess with in an audio circuit. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/01 22:54:52 (permalink)
    It's normally 24v here in the US. The fact that the signal is carried over cable is not terribly relevant. The output of the phone jack mimics what a standard pots line would deliver.
    It's funny you mention that, though. The phone company used to adjust "ringer equivalence" to compensate for multiple phones in a home. I don't know if that was accomplished by increasing voltage or amps. My guess is voltage, because phone lines are very small, maybe 22ga at best.
    Not long ago, I had a customer who had seven old school phones. The cable modem could not provide enough power to make them all ring. He could talk on any of them.
    At any rate, the modem output is 24v, very low amperage.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/02 13:50:34 (permalink)
    Amateur Radio Operators had a device called a "phone Patch" which interfaced their landlines to their transceivers, to allow audio fron the telco in and out of a two way radio conversation.

Check around for a local ham who might have one in his stash of gear, or look at a local ham fest( a swap meet flea market type meetup)

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

wst3
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/03 20:58:03 (permalink)
    In the US the DC voltage on a plain old telephone service (POTS) line is 48VDC. When the telephone goes off hook it closes a switch which draws current from the central office, starting the whole process. In the really old days they would reverse the polarity of the DC voltage to create party lines.

The ringing voltage is between 80VAC and 90VAC, at 20 Hz, and the duty cycle was 2 seconds on, 4 seconds off. As a kid I was taught that ten rings took one minute... an odd way to time things!

Line voltages, and ringing voltages and cycles differ from country to country.

For the theatrical types - a ringing generator is easy to build, but lately I've used a 70V amplifier (an old Toa) and I drive it with audio files that I created to provide different ring cadences.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Starise
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/07 12:53:22 (permalink)
    Thanks musicman for the heads up on the Rolls. I ended up with a Symetrix TI-101 circa something like 1989.....I guess these kinds of units have probably improved since then.
    Here is the .pdf
     http://www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/TI101_ug.pdf

The phone input needs to see a phone unhook in order for it to work. The schematic shows that it needs to have a phone in a Parallel configuration and once the phone receiver comes "off the hook" the box should be in the circuit. The manual recommends the phone mouth piece be unhooked on the phone so the listener hears your mic instead, and that signal is fed back into the TI-101.

Robert I have Comcast Cable as my carrier. I bought a splitter.Thanks for clearing up that the second jack requires me to buy another line! You gentlemen know a lot more about phone lines than I do and I have come to the right place. Thanks for your help!
    I don't plan to use any "old school" phones...instead I had planned to simply use the phone I already have but cover the mouth piece on the handset in my studio. From what Robert has said, I feel a lot better about what I'm trying to do concerning my cable/phone modem. If I have a cordless phone I should be able to call out with it and * hopefully* there will be enough voltage to unhook the TI-101......my biggest concern is that the load of the TI-101 might be excessive.

Twitter @Rodein

wst3
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/07 13:22:04 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that when the TI-101 was a current product the rules concerning telephones and the telephone network were very different! The whole landscape was different! The cost to have a device "type accepted" for direct connection to the public telephone network was beyond that which could be amortized even if every broadcaster purchased one!

So companies skirted around the issue by printing in their manuals that the device can not be connected directly to the network, and the devices themselves were designed to be invisible to the network.

But that's not how people used them<G>!

I modified quite a few TI-101s to add a holding coil and a simple switch to the front panel. The switch places the coil across the tip and ring, and will draw dial tone, or accept an incoming call. With that in place you need only connect the TI-101 to a POTS line, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. As an added benefit, there is no transmit audio, so you don't need to disconnect the handset transmitter.
    There were also a number of companies selling modified "type 500" subsets with "off-hook" and "xmit kill" switches built into the housing. The first switch simply sat in parallel with the hookswitch, and the second interrupted the transmit side of the handset. There might have been something else we had to do, but I do not remember the details any longer - you might check some of the broadcast engineering web sites for ideas if you want to try that.

Holler if you have questions...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Starise
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/08 16:25:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Bill, the mod you mentioned sounds interesting.As I understand it taking the handset off the hook makes a connection. From looking at the schematic, the signal simply passes through the primary of a transformer to ground. The signal then goes on to the secondary. ...I might have questions.Thanks for the offer!

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/16 13:27:56 (permalink)
    Update- The setup seems to work fine without the unhook mod if I simply use my existing phone as the unhook device. I then need to make sure that phone isn't near the rest of my gear which isn't really a problem . I monitored through my  recorder. This way I can hear the actual signal as recorded. 

The TI-101 seems a bit noisy in monitoring, but the noise doesn't appear to be recorded to the degree I hear it when recording. Actually you don't hear the noise on the recording. I don't think this box was in a smoke free studio. The pots need lubed but I don't think this is going to solve the noise issue.Might have a leaky cap...or were these boxes that noisy? Seemed a bit excessive to me, even for older electronics.

Twitter @Rodein

wst3
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/16 16:09:50 (permalink)
    Indeed, my little mod was to let me work without a telephone connected, it is not necessary at all.

As far as noise goes, I never had noise problems with the TI-101s - and I probably used at least half a dozen over the years, not including the one I have now. I'd do a little digging, the most likely candidate is the power supply. Well, that's assuming that you don't have any interface issues... and a quiet telephone line<G>!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/16 23:11:41 (permalink)
    Almost off topic. My Dad worked for BC Telephone for 40 years, (now known as Telus,) he explained that party line ringers where all 90 Volts, but each phone had a capacitor ( dumbed down explanation) that filtered out the cycles. Party one was 20 cycles, party 2 way 40 cycles etc.. I was just a kid, so memory might be off,,,well it's always off,, but... 
    He was responsible for big office building networks in Vancouver,,, he retired when they started talking digital... he worked with 100's of pairs of colour coded wires.. 100% analog. His first job was a telegraph operator. 

http://www.cowboycountrymagazine.com/2011/03/fence-phones/

post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/04/16 23:15:00

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Question on taking audio from a phone line 2014/04/21 11:21:49 (permalink)
    check on Amazon.... a quick search turned up a number of things

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1