DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem

Author
EltonJohn
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2014/03/28 10:45:21 (permalink)

DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem

Hello.
Last year I built my fourth DAW to run Win and Sonar X2. My previous three DAWs all ran flawlessly. This new computer has had an intermittent problem since I started using it. Any suggestions for helping me diagnose this problem are appreciated.

The problem I am having are repeated freezes of my DAW. The freezes bring down the entire operating system; the computer no longer responds to mouse and keyboard input, and the only way I can regain control of the computer is to turn it off and restart it. These freezes mostly occur when running Sonar X2, but I have also had one freeze when playing back audio using Win Media Player, and one freeze when the computer was sitting idle with the Desktop up (in fairness, most of the time that I am using this DAW, I am using Sonar). Because I have these freezes performing different operations, I am now thinking this is NOT a Sonar problem,

I built the DAW specifically to run Win 7 and Sonar X2. The computer has no other functions. The specs are as follows:
Processor – Intel i5 3570 quad core @ 3.40 gHz (normal clock – NOT overclocked)
MOBO – ASUS P8Z77-VLX w/ Intel Northbridge Z77 Express chipset
Memeory - 2 x Corsair Vengence CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B (2 modules of 8 GB apiece: total 16 GB), DDR3
Power - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2, 750 watts
Firewire - StarTech.com 4 port PCI 1394a  firewire card
OS - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, SP-1
Cakewalk - Sonar X2a (I believe I have all Sonar X2 updates installed)
Audio Interface – Mackie Onyx 1604 w/ firewire card installed (driver ver. 1.7 installed – is the only driver version Mackie makes for this device and this OS)
MIDI Interface – MOTU Micro Express USB midi interface (Motu “universal” driver installed – is the only driver version Motu makes for this device and this OS).

What I have done so far:
  1. First, I contacted CW Tech Support. Their response was that Sonar could not possible cause a crash/freeze of the entire OS, that this behavior must be due to a problem of one of the computer drivers. They did not respond when I asked them how I might further troubleshoot this problem.
  2. I then ran a test of the physical memory using Memtest+86 (ver. 5.01). Zero errors were reported.
  3. I fully updated the OS
  4. Replaced the Firewire card with one made by SIIG (recommended by some experts as compatible with the audio interface I use).

Despite these efforts, I continue to have intermittent freezes. So, I'm thinking my next step should be to replace the RAM modules. If I continue to see freezes after doing that, I will replace the MOBO and processor.

Dan anyone suggest any diagnostics I can do to better pinpoint the problem? Can anyone suggest other fixes I should try before re-building the DAW?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.

14 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 13:25:25 (permalink)
    This could be too obvious but how are the temperatures?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    EltonJohn
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 13:57:18 (permalink)
    Hello.  Thanks for your reply.

In truth, I don't check on the temperature much, because the best way I know how to do this is in the BIOS, and I have to restart the computer to get to the BIOS.

I will run Sonar for a while and then check the temp. and report back.
    EltonJohn
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 15:46:58 (permalink)
    Hello.  After running Sonar for about 1.5 hrs. (playing back audio, running soft synths, recording midi track, etc), the core temp was 93.2 f (34.0 c) - which I believe is well within the normal operating temperature of an Intel i5 line of processors.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 16:54:42 (permalink)
    You don't say what video card you are using. Also, have you tried looking through the Windows Event Viewer? It is entirely possible that the problem is being logged there.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 17:15:07 (permalink)
    System freezes are often due to bad memory. When execution hits a bad memory address in an otherwise good module, there is no place to go. Typically there is a freeze with not error message and often no crash dump. This may only show up with certain programs because they write to higher addresses or because they handle memory use somewhat differently. First step would be to run a test of the memory using the instructions here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

If it passes that it may still be worthwhile to run an extensive test using memtest 86+:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=26&f=10&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=2&bts=2&zu=http%3A//www.memtest.org/

Other problems including intermittent bad connections from poorly seated components  can often be fixed by cleaning contacts and re-seating. A bad solder connection causing intermittent freezes is very difficult to find and usually not repairable.

EltonJohn
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 18:25:14 (permalink)
    Hello.  Thank you for our helpful suggestions.

1) This computer does not have a dedicated graphics accelerator card.  Graphics are handled by the graphics capabilities of the processor itself.

2) I have previously run Memtest+86 (ver. 5.01).  No errors were reported.  My understanding is that Memtest will find most, but not all memory problems.  Because the behavior of this computer is so very characteristic of a memory problem, my next move is to go ahead a assume this is a memory problem and replace RAM modules.

3) I have to confess I nervous about taking the computer apart and putting it back together again hoping to fix a bad connection, because I worry I could just as easily cause some new problem (cause a static short, break something, create some bad connection where previously there was none, etc).  I suppose such an effort is cheaper than building another computer. 
    slartabartfast
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 18:40:34 (permalink)
    Do not be afraid Grasshopper. Unplug the machine of course, and wait a while for the capacitors to drain. The static damage can happen but is very rare, and mechanical damage from anything except CPU removal and re-insertion is unlikely. CPU contact is almost never an issue, so I do not recommend that on the first run. I have never had any problem by simply touching the case with one hand before and after picking up a component. You can use a wire wrapped around your wrist attached to a water faucet if you want to do what the professionals do. These components are actually pretty tough. A good contact cleaner solution applied to the mating surfaces may help. You can usually do the job with just a screw driver.
    slartabartfast
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 18:50:54 (permalink)
    There is a Win 7 bug that can cause freezing under certain special circumstances (unlikely in your case), but if everything else fails you can consider a hot fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716/en-us

gcruz
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 20:24:12 (permalink)
    To Elton John:

I had similar problems just like you. The problem was the 1600 mhz memories...Mother board supported the mems but not the Intel processor. I replaced the mems and now I'm out of trouble...1033 mhz will do it.  Big change from 1600 to 1033 mhz but no trouble. Call intel costumer service for info...I did it!

Asus P6T Motherboard Intel LGA1366 Platform
    Intel Quad Core™i7 920 Processor
    6 gigs DDR3 Ram
    Windows 7pro 64 bit
    Roland GW-7 workstation
    Korg Padkontrol
    M-Audio U Control Uc 33
    1010 LT Delta Sound Card
    Project 5 V2.51
    Sonar X1 Producer
    Komplete 5
    Garritan 4
    EltonJohn
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 21:40:48 (permalink)
    Hello.

Thanks for the encouragement Slart.  Time to take the bull by the horns...

Gcruz...very interesting.  That seems to explain why Memtest finds no errors, yet the behavior is very much like a memory problem.

So it sounds like my next best step is to replace the memory, and when I do that to unplug and reseat all the electrical connections.

Sigh.  I appreciate everyone who offered suggestions on this.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/28 21:53:52 (permalink)
    EltonJohn
    ...I don't check on the temperature much, because the best way I know how to do this is in the BIOS, and I have to restart the computer to get to the BIOS...

Check what's on the disks that came with your motherboard. Some MBs include software for viewing BIOS
    settings from within Windows.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    EltonJohn
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/29 09:44:57 (permalink)
    Hello.  So I checked on the Intel web-site for the specifications of the i5-3570 processor, and their information is that this processor supports up to 32 gb of memory, and is compatible with DDR3-1333/1600 memory, and does not support ECC memory (funny - I thought all memory these days is ECC).

Here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/65702

So, I am not sure the memory speed per se is the problem.

But I do think my next best move is to replace the memory modules

Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Jay Tee 4303
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/29 10:34:17 (permalink)
    One additional possibility, not a freeze, but a USB issue, losing comms with the mouse and KB. Event Viewer is the place to start.

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
    Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
    Old55
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re: DAW on the FRITZ: Help needed with a computer problem 2014/03/29 11:35:30 (permalink)
    One other thing to try, if you haven't already done so is to clean and inspect the motherboard.  Dust build up might cause a component to overheat.  Inspect the electrolytic capacitors for leakage.  The tops should be flat and clean.  A slight bulge or leakage indicates a bad cap.  Good luck.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1