I'm Not Just A Brand

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2014/04/01 22:57:35 (permalink)

I'm Not Just A Brand

The other day I was reluctantly watching (don't ask) one of the afternoon talk shows.  On it was a talking-head talking about how we must brand ourselves in order to have any significance.  While I understood what she was talking about, my initial and lasting reaction was (and is) is this what we have come to?  My second thought was this would be a topic with which I could have fun in building a song.  I know I should be thinking more of creativity and art but I can't help it.  I like to have fun with music even when it is serious-ish.  Since I was out of my comfort zone with the thought, the decision was made to experiment a bit with a different genre or style.  Oh well the good intentions were there even if the talent wasn't.

I hope you find it at least a bit entertaining.  Comments, crit's, suggestions, etc.  are always appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm Not Just A Brand
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481

Freddy J

13 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/02 01:52:53 (permalink)
    Ha, this IS different for you and I like it!  Your vocals and harmonies have come so far since you started doing it all the time.  Kudos to you, buddy.  I really like your song.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Rikkie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/02 05:38:41 (permalink)
    Hi Freddy, sounds like 60's psychadelic rock, fun tune, serious lyrics.

Rik
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/02 08:14:51 (permalink)
    Cool song and performances. I guess talk shows can be good for song ideas, at least.

String Jammer
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/02 13:52:01 (permalink)
    Yup, for me it's very late 60's / a bit trippy.   Cool stuff!   The vocal harmonies are nicely done and everything is well played.

Mix-wise, the drums seem a bit distant when the vocals kick in, maybe too much side-chain compression?   But overall I think the mix works well for the song.  

PS... this tune is not a commodity.    

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/02 17:25:06 (permalink)
    Freddy, this is satire at its best.  This production sounds terrific on my speakers, and I think this would make a great video.  Your lyrics always entertain me, and you're a helluva songwriter, as well as musician.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Freddy J
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/05 17:22:11 (permalink)
    Hi Warren.  I'm glad to see you back on the forum.  Thanks for the kind words buddy.  I guess if you keep trying enough times, one of them might turn out OK   ;>)   Thanks again.

Hello Rik.  I hadn't intended 60's psychedelic but I went back and listened and doggone if you aren't right.  I'm very glad that you liked it.  Thanks for the listen and kind words.

Hey Scotty.  I dunno -- that might be about all that they (afternoon talk shows)are good for?  Thanks very much for the feedback.  I appreciate it.

Thanks for the listening and for the feedback Steve.  The psychedelic feel was not intended but now that it has been pointed out it is kind of a pleasant surprise (if only I knew what I was doing ).  Thank for the feedback on the drums.  I'll be going back to listen and check that out. 

Thank you Lynn.  I was hoping that some of the satire (light satire) might be heard.  I just may have to consider a video.  My son will be starting school in digital arts and video effects, so maybe in the near future I can get some help.  Kudos to you on not just the song but also the video in your last post. Thanks again for your encouragement!! 

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/07 11:36:10 (permalink)
    Nice sound all the way around here Freddy. Surely a 60's vibe, only done Freddy's way in 2014!! Great mix on this also, pure!!

Peace and Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/08 12:09:35 (permalink)
    I really enjoy the vocal arrangement and the Bay Area vibe of this song. Great stuff.

I think you did a good job with the lyrics as well. It seems like you found a lot of simple yet clever rhymes while keeping the idea and your expression focused on your intended subject.

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/08 12:57:37 (permalink)
    Freddy,

Different style from your usual stuff.  Great to mix it up.   Very late 60's sounding.  Nice performance and message.   It seems like we are on marketing and hype overload these days.   All the social media and packaging, etc. al.  It becomes exhausting.

Regards
    Walt Collins
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1054
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/08 16:27:42 (permalink)
    Funky cool low tech trippy musical treatment paired with 60's-esque pro-individualism lyrics.  You could have played this one at Woodstock. :)

Nice work Freddy!

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
    Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
    blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
    I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
    Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack
    Freddy J
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/04/13 16:57:33 (permalink)
    Thanks John.  You know that I always appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment on my song.  I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you Mike.  The lyrics on this came easily and in came out in a rush.  Maybe it is better when you don't think about them too much.  Thanks again, I appreciate the kind comments.

Hi Mark.  My favourite genre are the early electric Blues and rockabilly but it seems that every once in a while you have to try something different just to  keep from getting stale.  Odd thing is I wasn't a huge fan of psychedelic stuff, even in the 60's but every once in a while it creeps out.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Hey Walt.  Gee - I'd like to say I was at Woodstock but I had just gotten out of college (the first time) and started my first real job in Toronto.  I guess I felt that I had to not get fired for skipping out on work to go there???  ;>)  Thanks for listening and I appreciate the kind comments.

olemon
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 768
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/05/02 06:59:15 (permalink)
    Rikkie
    Hi Freddy, sounds like 60's psychadelic rock, fun tune, serious lyrics.

Rik

Rik captured my thoughts.  I don't think I've heard anyone use 'demographically' in a lyric before...nice...and that's just one example of your cleverness here:)

The tension in the music fits your reaction to the topic.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
    Freddy J
    Re: I'm Not Just A Brand 2014/05/03 12:08:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Scott.  I appreciate your kind comments.  Demographically -- I wasn't sure if that was going to work or not ;>)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1