Producer "Save As" not working properly

Author
rickyneg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2014/04/04 12:04:06 (permalink)

Producer "Save As" not working properly

I am using Sonar 8 Producer. A friend sent me a 5-track song to add my bass part to (4 audio, 1 MIDI). Since I didn't have all of his instrumentation, I inserted a MIDI synth and copied the MIDI track for track 1 to track 6, then deleted the empty Track 1. It renamed the tracks to 1 - 5.

I added an audio track, track 6, and put my bass part on.

When I go to "save as" and save it as a .CWB file, and open up the new saved .CWB file to play it, Sonar has replaced my bass track (6) with parts of track 1 and 2.

I saved a song to a .CWB file previously and it worked fine.

Any ideas anyone? Buler? Buler?

Rick

8 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 13:35:12 (permalink)
    Apart from advising you to always have a .cwp-version of the project saved, there's nothing constructive I can say.
    In this case you have witnessed the vulnerability of the .cwb-files yourself. If a cwb gets messed you've lost the project.
    I understand that cwb is good format for co-operation, but never let it be the only format a project is saved in.

I've read quite a few posts about corrupted cwb's, put in those cases the project couldn't be opened at all. IIRC, this is the only time I hear the project being messed otherwise.

So, after saving the project as cwb after adding the bass part on track 6, everything is ok? Only after re-opening it's messed?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    rickyneg
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 14:33:59 (permalink)
    Have it saved as a .cwp, no problems there.
    Yes after saving as a .cwb it plays fine, everything is okay. The problem occurs only after I close the project and reopen the .cwb. It's messed up.

Rick Neglia
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 14:41:42 (permalink)
    As Kalle said, lots and lots of threads here about CWB files are not dependable any more. 
    Always use CWP files and make sure and check " Copy audio with project" 
    Always use Pre project

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

rickyneg
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 14:56:43 (permalink)
    Okay, then what's the best format to save in when you're going to put it in Dropbox to share with your guitarist? Is Dropbox the best and fastest way to share projects? BYW, he has Sonar 7.

Rick Neglia
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 18:54:35 (permalink)
    It is easy enough to create a single zip file from a project when using per-project audio folders. Either zip up the existing project or create a new project folder using the "Save as" function to only include the audio currently referenced in the project and zip the new project folder. Upload the zip to Dropbox. The SONAR 7 user just needs to make sure they too are using per-project audio folders. They would then download, unzip and load the cwp.
    Cactus Music
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 21:10:51 (permalink)
    Another thing is I was going to say there's no reason to move the midi tracks around. 
    If you both don't have the same drum synth then simply insert whatever synth you have and point the midi tracks output to the new synth. You friend just changes it back later when he gets the file back from you. 

Steve, wouldn't zipping a WAVE file be the same as turning it into an MP3? I'm just wondering how Zip conversion works. Like if it would lower the quality of the project? After all Sonar is working in 32 bit wave files, a pretty high rate. 

I know one way to share files over the internet and keep the file size small is to create a "save as" version of a project that is striped down to basics. If your just adding Bass you only need a rough mix with an airtight arrangement. Because the drums are possibly midi this allows a bass player to turn up the Kick drum etc. 

The original version is kept as is. 
    A new version is made using as much MIDI as possible. 
    Un-needed audio tracks are left out. 
    Then the few that are required are mixed to a stereo track. 
    So just the CWP which contains midi data and one stereo track is uploaded. 
    This project file would be not be that big.  
    The second person uses this to add their parts and only has to send back with MIDI and the new tracks. The new tracks are easily dropped into the original project. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/04/04 21:12:52

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 21:21:53 (permalink)
    Zip is not the same as mp3. Zip uses several compression algorithms and is not lossy. If it were lossy like mp3, data would not be the same when unzipped which would be a problem. Zipping and unzipping a project folder should result in the folder being exactly the same bit for bit.
    post edited by scook - 2014/04/04 21:32:05
    Cactus Music
    Re: Producer "Save As" not working properly 2014/04/04 22:07:43 (permalink)
    Cool. thanks for clarification 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1