Behringer X32

Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2014/04/07 15:15:27 (permalink)

Behringer X32

Hi Guys

I did a forum search but nothing really up to date appeared and I quite like to pull the brains of this familiar bunch of people hangin g round here ...

So: Anybody seriously used the Behringer X32 digital mixer lately (with v2 firmware). What's you totally biased opinion? Pls share ...

I might be able to get a hand on one for mostly mixing live situations (so how well does it work there??) ... and would it be worth to drag into the studio as well ???

Thanks

Rob

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 

8 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/07 18:18:25 (permalink)

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/07 20:01:35 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl
    So: Anybody seriously used the Behringer X32 digital mixer lately (with v2 firmware). What's you totally biased opinion? Pls share ...

I might be able to get a hand on one for mostly mixing live situations (so how well does it work there??) ... and would it be worth to drag into the studio as well ???

Hi Rob,

I just recently added a X32 Compact to my studio.
    Nice piece of gear (far better than the name might suggest)

Our sound guy uses a full X32 live.
    It's fantastic.  Great sound/capabilities... with iPAD control over the mix (and or monitors).
    IMO, The reverb and EFX are better than the Mackie units.  Given the cost difference, that's not surprising.

I've measured the average noise-floor at -114dB.
    That's pretty decent (better than all but the most expensive audio interfaces or outboard A/D)

The Midas Designed preamps are surprisingly *FAT* sounding.
    They won't impart a lot of character, but they're quiet and sound huge.

End-to-end latency is 0.8ms (with no additional insert EFX).

The iPAD and Software control apps haven't been released for the 2.0x firmware (we've been waiting for that for a couple weeks).

The included X-UF or X-USB audio interfaces are ok.
    Total round-trip latency has to be set ~10ms to avoid dropped samples.
    The driver is extremely flexible in that you can adjust both the ASIO buffer size and the Safety buffer (Streaming buffer).  Note that you can set the total round-trip latency significantly lower than 10ms... but it's not rock-solid till you reach the 8-10ms range.
    I'm used to total round-trip latency of ~5ms with both RME and MOTU audio interfaces.
    While 10ms is fine for straight up recording, I wanted the ability to effectively play/monitor in realtime thru software based EFX/processing.  The solution for me was to get the Lynx AES-16e-50 (which has an AES-50 port).
    A single CAT5e cable connects to the AES-16e-50... carrying 32 channels of I/O.
    Round-trip latency with the Lynx can be set ~3ms (no dropped samples).
    The downside to the Lynx AES-16e-50 is that it's $900.

The DANTE interface card (installs in place of the X-UF or X-USB) is supposed to be hitting the streets any time.
    If it offers low round-trip latency, it'll be a more affordable solution ($400).

The X32 can also be used as a Mackie Control (control surface for your DAW applications).
    I haven't delved into that particular feature (yet).

The only downside to the X32 is that you're limited to 44.1/48k.
    For most real-world scenarios, this isn't a major factor.

The X32 offers a lot of features for buck.
    If you're in the market for a digital mixer (or a more elaborate audio interface), I'd give it a serious look.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 01:30:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim, for the great feedback.

Jim Roseberry
    I just recently added a X32 Compact to my studio.
    Nice piece of gear (far better than the name might suggest)

Do you know by any chance if the X32 compact will work with the monitoring system (P16-D and P-16M)?

Jim Roseberry
    The included X-UF or X-USB audio interfaces are ok.
    Total round-trip latency has to be set ~10ms to avoid dropped samples.
    The driver is extremely flexible in that you can adjust both the ASIO buffer size and the Safety buffer (Streaming buffer).  Note that you can set the total round-trip latency significantly lower than 10ms... but it's not rock-solid till you reach the 8-10ms range.
    I'm used to total round-trip latency of ~5ms with both RME and MOTU audio interfaces.
    While 10ms is fine for straight up recording, I wanted the ability to effectively play/monitor in realtime thru software based EFX/processing.  The solution for me was to get the Lynx AES-16e-50 (which has an AES-50 port).
    A single CAT5e cable connects to the AES-16e-50... carrying 32 channels of I/O.
    Round-trip latency with the Lynx can be set ~3ms (no dropped samples).
    The downside to the Lynx AES-16e-50 is that it's $900.

Do I get that right? X32 + CAT5 cable + Lynx AES-16e-50 gives you 32 channel recording at 3ms latency? Or 0.8ms (X32) + 3 ms (Lync) ... but that's splitting hairs ... well, I definitely hadn't heard about that ...

Thanks, again :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 11:15:51 (permalink)
    Hi Rob,

The X32 Compact *is* identical to the X32 except it has 16 mic preamps (instead of 32) and it has 8 XLR outputs instead of 16.

The P16-D and P16-M absolutely work with the X32 Compact.
    I want to pickup a several P16-M units to use here in the studio and at gigs.
    It's super cool to be able to use the knobs to dial in your own monitor mix.
    Separate control over 16 channels (with three band EQ on each channel).
    No more, "Hey, can have a little more of this and a little less of that."

I did a lot of research prior to getting the X32 Compact.
    There wasn't much concrete information about round-trip latency.  I figured the X32's included X-UF and X-USB audio interfaces would be ok... but not great (not equivalent to the best audio interfaces).
    I had used the Lynx-AES16e numerous time (as have many clients), so I got the X32 Compact fairly confident that I had "plan B" if the X-UF didn't deliver ~5ms round-trip latency.
    You can set the X-UF to a round-trip latency far lower than 10ms... but the driver drops many samples.
    I tried many different buffer combinations under both Win8.1 and Win7... and the results were the same.

At this moment (prior to any of the other option cards being available), the Lynx AES-16e-50 (connected via one of the two AES-50 ports) is the only solution for achieving super low round-trip latency. 
    With the double-buffer option checked, you can set the AES-16e-50 at a 32-sample ASIO buffer size.
    That's 2.3ms round-trip latency.  Add the 0.8ms end-to-end for the X32... and you're at 3.1ms total round-trip latency at 44.1k.  With heavier loads, you'll likely need to bump the ASIO buffer up to 64-samples... which makes the total round-trip latency (Lynx and X32) 5.2ms.
    Note that the X32 series has two AES-50 ports.  Each of those can carry up to 32 channels of I/O.
    You could have one port going to the Lynx AES-16e-50 (for 32 channels of I/O to your DAW)... and use the other to connect the digital snake (provides 16 additional Midas Mic preamps - connected via CAT-5e).

Even with the expense of the Lynx AES-16e-50, that's a lot of capability for $2900.
    The DANTE expansion cards should be hitting stores any time.
    I've heard minimum latency is ~5ms... but nobody has posted whether this is one-way (playback) or round-trip.
    If it's round-trip, then DANTE would be significantly less expensive.
    The X32's DANTE card is $400.  The DANTE virtual audio interface driver is (IIRC) ~$20 (uses your DAW's LAN port).  DANTE will (also) carry 32 channels of I/O via a single CAT5e cable.

I think of the X32 Compact as a (somewhat giant) audio interface with 32-channels of I/O (to and from DAW) with 16 good quality mic preamps and onboard DSP.  The Midas designed preamps are better than preamps I've heard onboard any audio interface.  Though not a substitute for highly "flavored" preamps, the Midas preamps sound good and surprisingly "fat".

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 11:35:17 (permalink)
    If you use the X32 live, you've got to get the digital snake!
    It's *so* much easier to load-in... set-up... and load-out.
    CAT5e cable is super light weight (and compact) compared to traditional analog snakes.
    It'll pay for itself in saved time/energy...
    You can run the CAT5e cable up to 300' (100 meters).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 12:31:57 (permalink)
    Jim, you are incredible! The information you provide is what I tried to research for hours, but couldn't get. Thanks a lot!

Last of my dumb questions: when I use 1x S16 plus the X32 Compact (in a studio set-up) I should get the same number of Pre and XLR outs as the X32 offers, shouldn't I? Live situation, of course, is asking for 2x S16 for proper set-up ...

Again, thanks so much.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Jim Roseberry
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 15:34:13 (permalink)
    Hi Rob,

Yes, the S16 digital snake provides 16 Midas Preamps and 8 XLR Outputs.
    Added to the X32 Compact (via single CAT5e cable), you have all the inputs/outputs/preamps of the full X32.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Behringer X32 2014/04/08 16:07:39 (permalink)
    Cool :-) and thanks again

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1