How to record system audio?

Author
stkelly52
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/04/07 17:55:39 (permalink)

How to record system audio?

My daughter just bought a microphone that came with Music Creator LE and she wants to record herself singing along with the karaoke videos and record the song.  Getting her vocals was easy, but I can't find a way to tell Cakewalk to add a track for the sound coming out of the soundcard, so that the music get recorded along with her vocals.  

2 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: How to record system audio? 2014/04/08 00:49:13 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    Most karaoke songs are in .kar format. These are similar to .mid files except for the inclusion of the lyrics scrolling.
    You should be able to import the .kar file into MC and it should play. I've done it several times (on older versions of MC). You may get a message that the file may not play, but they always have for me.
    Or, if the mic is a USB mic and has to use the MME driver mode and playback through the computer's stock sound card, check that the sound card has a record option of "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix". This will allow you to record everything that's 'heard' by the sound card.
    So, one track recording the microphone and another track recording through the sound card.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2014/04/09 01:05:35

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: How to record system audio? 2014/04/08 14:47:43 (permalink)
    edited - had to think about it and then I had nothing.
    Essentially it was using a cord to plug the line outputs back into the line inputs of the sound card and having the microphone into the microphone input with the volumes up to record via the mixer in the OS of the computer. Unless using a Y-connection cord to have speakers hooked up or a headphone you would not hear it on the line outputs of the sound card using the Y-connection cord to have two connections for the output of the sound card. Then the complications came if having to play the Karoke file and then trying to record it which probably would not work having two programs running like that at the same time. Involves using the same sample rate and bit depth perhaps or drivers. So it ended up maybe not being possible or at least messy perhaps.

I think I did it once or twice like on a utube video or file that way but then you can not hear it, so in the end you would not hear it and could not add a singing part to the karoke file.
    You could probably sing along with the kakoke file playing, but then could not record the singing, just sing along with the file.
    Then you could probably get into mixing boards and connections and end up using more equipment unless you could get the signal internally in the sound card with the microphone to avoid using funny connections or trying to do it with more recording equipment like a mixing board whatever.

Sounds complicated then and essentially comes up to be nothing in the end. But thinking about it is an exercise for the brain just to do for perhaps a few minutes.

Weird idea day I guess.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/04/08 15:21:26

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1