hijacking someone elses thread

Author
catman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2014/04/09 09:09:12 (permalink)

hijacking someone elses thread

Hey, I am Sooooooooooo very sorry for doing that! I know this sounds unbelieveable but I didn't even notice the post new thread box. My allergies have got the best of me and I'm under alot of stress right now to get my rig up and running. Again, I'm so very very sorry and I promise it will not happen again. Forgive me...........................

CWHS7.0.1  32bit OS  Windows 7 Home Premium SP1   3GB Ram  Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU    Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221    Roland FA-08 Workstation, Roland MC-80

7 Replies Related Threads

rontarrant
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re: hijacking someone elses thread 2014/04/09 09:10:24 (permalink)
    I agree and speaking of which...

How about those new messages in that other thread?

-Ron T.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: hijacking someone elses thread 2014/04/09 12:11:29 (permalink)
    Here, I copied your question from the other thread because this thread makes no sense to anyone else. You should edit your title. I takes a bit to get the hang of using forums but the way to get help is simple: Make a clear request in the title. In your first post list you system and which version of cakewalk, your OS etc. Most important is your audio interface. Most people put this in there signature which you can edit in your user profile. 

" Hi, I'm using CWHS 7.0.1 with a Roland FA-08. My dilema is that I have been using an XP-80 for so long that I don't know anything else. I don't seem to be able to sequence the same way I have been. Quite frankly I am lost!  CWHS 7 has .ins files for a bunch of different instruments. My XP-80 is well represented so I can just go into a midi track and select insert then bank/patch change and I'm off and runnin'. Not so with the FA-08, this is different partially because there is no MIDNAM for it. My question is, how do I tell it ,from my computer, to change to the correct bank and patch? I do realize that some instrument tweaking will have to be done.  I have over 400 songs to redo and I need some help. PLEASE..................thanx" catman

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Cactus Music
    Re: hijacking someone elses thread 2014/04/09 12:29:20 (permalink)
    I just looked up HS 7 and I see it is a much older version but it does include Cakewalk Studio Instruments. I don't know if you have explored this option but most of us use Soft synths and only use outboard hardware when a certain vintage sound is not available. For GM MIDI playback all newer versions of Sonar have the TTS-1 soft synth as example. 

If you have 400 songs I strongly recommend looking into using soft synths and working In the Box. It will save you day and days of work. 
    If your plan is on using the workstaion as a backing band for live work, then let us know, sounds like a simple mapping instrument definition issue which can be done. These are Roland instruments so will be strongly supported by cake. 

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1299    the FA-08 very nice workstation. 

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/430       the Xp-80 ( wow that's PCM? ) 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

catman
    Sequencing Woes 2014/04/09 18:36:50 (permalink)
    Hi again, Our playback is unique to most sequenced duos as for years we have used the Roland MC80 for playback due to the ability to punch in the number that corresponds to the song that we are performing, and it calls up. THAT way we do not have to scroll, wait, have set lists...etc. We play whatever, whenever and never have anything preplanned.

That being said, we will maintain that playback system as no one has anything better.   All the midi files have to change to be acceptable to the Roland FA-08. The way that I call up banks and patches will have to change. CC00,CC32 etc.. These are things I know very little about. I think you wrote something about instrument re-mapping. What is that?  Soft Synth sounds interesting, but again, I am an old man and have been doing what I do for years and I have not kept up with new ways of sequencing, so any advice and/or help in this area would be wonderful. I don't wish to be a pest, I'm just trying to catch up that's all..........thanx

CWHS7.0.1  32bit OS  Windows 7 Home Premium SP1   3GB Ram  Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU    Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221    Roland FA-08 Workstation, Roland MC-80
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Sequencing Woes 2014/04/09 19:27:03 (permalink)
    Roland synths have not changed that much if at all in how they operate with Midi.
    I suggest you download all the manuals like Midi Implementation.pdf which uses Adobe Acrobat Reader to read it or any *.pdf file type and read about the midi.
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1299/support/

And you probably need the drivers on the other page to work on your computer which can be downloaded also.
    http://www.rolandus.com/p...etails/1299/downloads/

And it should not be much different than any other Roland Synth. Mine are not all the way back to my JD-800 to my JV-1080 and my Juno-Stage. I just do not use midi anymore actually and record just in audio, but then I have the manuals to look things up if necessary. Yes, it may take some time and reading to have it sink into the brain, but it is not all that hard, and certainly should not be different if at all with midi.

And if you do not have the Owner's manual, you may want that also to download and anything else there listed.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/04/09 19:29:18

catman
    Sequencing Woes 2014/04/09 20:44:44 (permalink)
    Thanx everyone...................

Cactus Music
    Re: Sequencing Woes 2014/04/09 21:01:10 (permalink)
    I put an article about this topic on my web page  Believe me unless your forever changing arrangements on the fly, there is no reason to pack around any midi gear for live performance any more. 
    If you don't have time to read the first part which is about my gear, scroll down half way to were I describe how and why I now use wave files instead of midi.

The solo performers "Band"  A History Lesson in One Man Band Technology.
    http://www.cactusmusic.ca/johns_rig.htm

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1