Helpful ReplyDo people really...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 19:22:40 (permalink)
bitflipper
Do people choose picks by color? I know I do. Just try to find a black pick on a darkened stage.

It's probably because I am not a guitarist, and I prefer light-gauge plectra, but my picks tend to go airborne. So I buy white picks exclusively so I can more easily pick them up from the floor.

I use Chernobyl picks.

If you drop one, you can see it from about two miles away.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 19:43:44 (permalink)
Rain
drewfx1
Um, the people who buy "Daisy Rock" stuff want their picks (with cute little turtles on them!) and guitars and straps and shoes and ponies and unicorns to be color coordinated. 

And I've also heard it said that some peoples are fond of certain colored guitars, too.

Technically, black isn't a color ;) 

Uhhhhh in RGB.... black is represented by 255 255 255 and white is 0 0 0. I was taught black is a combination of all colors and white is the absence of all color and therefore one could argue that white is not a color.
SteveStrummerUK
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 19:47:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/13 20:07:37
Rain
I started w/ these. 

He he, same here Krist! The only problem I had with them was how easily they'd split - I don't think I ever had one last long enough to actually wear it down.

For many years after, I used the good old Dunlop Tortex 10mm:

But for the last 7 or 8 years, I've been hooked on V-Picks, in particular the 'Screamer'. They're 2.75mm thick and completely solid (as in there's no 'give' or flexibility whatsoever), and everything tells you that you shouldn't be able to play with them, but once you start a strummin' and a pickin', they're amazing. Very comfortable to play, and they sound great. I love 'em!

For bass, for as long as I can remember, I've always used 70mm Planet Waves Duralin picks. For me, they have just the right amount of 'snap' on the strings.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2014/04/14 03:40:54

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 20:21:25 (permalink)
I'll have to give those V-Picks a try, Steve. 

So far, I do like how effortless it is to play fast runs w/ the 2mm. I think it could potentially help make my playing a bit more fluid. On the other hand, I've not yet figured out how to get a solid grip on them. Whereas the thiner tortex have some sort of "powdery" matte finish that prevents them from slipping, the 2mm are all glossy and very hard to keep in place.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 20:28:10 (permalink)
bapu
Rain
drewfx1
Um, the people who buy "Daisy Rock" stuff want their picks (with cute little turtles on them!) and guitars and straps and shoes and ponies and unicorns to be color coordinated. 

And I've also heard it said that some peoples are fond of certain colored guitars, too.

Technically, black isn't a color ;) 

Uhhhhh in RGB.... black is represented by 255 255 255 and white is 0 0 0. I was taught black is a combination of all colors and white is the absence of all color and therefore one could argue that white is not a color.

Ah, the 'ol pigment versus light issue.  Black pigment absorbs light while white pigment reflects it.  True white light contains all colors while the complete lack of light makes everything look black.  Primary colors are different as well with red, green and blue (RGB) being used for light and red, yellow and blue being used for pigments.  Of course, brain experts will tell you that color itself doesn't really exist, it's just a construct used by our brains to convert the wavelengths our eyes can handle into something meaningful (and a fairly small range of wavelengths at that).

Oh, and one last thing Bapsi...  In RGB black is represented by 0, 0, 0 (000000) and white is 255, 255, 255 (ffffff). 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Rain
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 20:52:29 (permalink)
bapu

Depending on if you are talking additive or subtractive, light or pigment, the opposite is equally true - white is a combination of all colours - black is the absence of colour.

Art school, y' know. :P

Rain
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 20:53:40 (permalink)
I see Craig beat me to it. :P

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/13 21:26:00 (permalink)

http://askville.amazon.com/white-absence-color-black-combination-colors/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3896130

Additive colors are when you blend light.  White light is the presence of all colors, where black is the absence of any color light, or any light at all.  This is what is happening with a prism where you can break apart light into its varoius components.  Consider having three spotlights, one each color, red, green and blue.  You setup these lights so you can shine them on a white piece of paper.  Turn on the blue light and you have a blue spot of light, turn on the other two lights and the light will mix and you have a white spot!  Yup, this works, been there and done that.

Additive colors are also how the monitor you are looking at right now works.  If you have a magnifying glass you can look at the white areas around these characters and see that it is really a set of red, green and blue pixels.  If you want a red spot on the screen the red pixel is turned on.  If you want a white spot you turn on all three pixels in the set and the viewer sees a white spot.  Any other color can be made by mixing different brightnesses of the three pixels. 

Subtractive colors are when a material absorbs colors.  This is how pigments like crayons, inks and paints work.  A red pigment is a material that absorbs all colors but red, The red light is reflected and the viewer sees red.  likewise a blue pigment is a material that absorbs all colors except blue.  When you mix pigments you get a material that absorbs more colors and will appear darker than the pigments you mixed.  Put enough of the right pigments into something and it will appear to be black as it absorbs all colors.  Thus a pigment subtracts colors from the reflected light.

Remember addition and subtraction works with colors.

Good job Rain!

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
bapu
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 01:59:57 (permalink)
craigb
Ah, the 'ol pigment versus light issue.  Black pigment absorbs light while white pigment reflects it.  True white light contains all colors while the complete lack of light makes everything look black.  Primary colors are different as well with red, green and blue (RGB) being used for light and red, yellow and blue being used for pigments.  Of course, brain experts will tell you that color itself doesn't really exist, it's just a construct used by our brains to convert the wavelengths our eyes can handle into something meaningful (and a fairly small range of wavelengths at that).

Oh, and one last thing Bapsi...  In RGB black is represented by 0, 0, 0 (000000) and white is 255, 255, 255 (ffffff). 

I stand corrected.
bapu
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 02:00:52 (permalink)
Rain
bapu

Depending on if you are talking additive or subtractive, light or pigment, the opposite is equally true - white is a combination of all colours - black is the absence of colour.

Art school, y' know. :P

I stand corrected.
bapu
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 02:01:13 (permalink)
Rimshot

http://askville.amazon.com/white-absence-color-black-combination-colors/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3896130

Additive colors are when you blend light.  White light is the presence of all colors, where black is the absence of any color light, or any light at all.  This is what is happening with a prism where you can break apart light into its varoius components.  Consider having three spotlights, one each color, red, green and blue.  You setup these lights so you can shine them on a white piece of paper.  Turn on the blue light and you have a blue spot of light, turn on the other two lights and the light will mix and you have a white spot!  Yup, this works, been there and done that.

Additive colors are also how the monitor you are looking at right now works.  If you have a magnifying glass you can look at the white areas around these characters and see that it is really a set of red, green and blue pixels.  If you want a red spot on the screen the red pixel is turned on.  If you want a white spot you turn on all three pixels in the set and the viewer sees a white spot.  Any other color can be made by mixing different brightnesses of the three pixels. 

Subtractive colors are when a material absorbs colors.  This is how pigments like crayons, inks and paints work.  A red pigment is a material that absorbs all colors but red, The red light is reflected and the viewer sees red.  likewise a blue pigment is a material that absorbs all colors except blue.  When you mix pigments you get a material that absorbs more colors and will appear darker than the pigments you mixed.  Put enough of the right pigments into something and it will appear to be black as it absorbs all colors.  Thus a pigment subtracts colors from the reflected light.

Remember addition and subtraction works with colors.

Good job Rain!

I stand corrected.
bapu
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 02:01:36 (permalink)
Next you guys will be telling me there ain't no Am note on the bazz.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 02:49:38 (permalink)
You can sit down now Ed. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
SteveStrummerUK
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 03:59:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/14 15:59:24
Rain
I'll have to give those V-Picks a try, Steve. 

I'll admit I was quite sceptical about using a solid pick, but a guy who used to frequent the Guitar Tracks forum recommended the V-Picks to me.

As they make such a wide range of shapes and thicknesses (see HERE), I bought a 'starter' pack of different styles to try them out. I also got a 'Screamer' (which turned out to be my favourite) and a 'Shredder', which is triangular and supposed to improve your sweep picking; I can't sweep, so I can't testify to that

One thing for sure though, they are very comfortable to grip, in fact my experience is the thicker the pick, the easier they are to use.

bapu
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/14 11:16:55 (permalink)
craigb
You can sit down now Ed. 

Jest let me know when I can get up, mmmmmkaay?
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/16 21:26:38 (permalink)
Wow, weird, Craig's picture is almost my exact live setup right down to the Dunlop Tortex 1.14 Purple Picks. Swap the mic out for a Sennheiser e935 and it's right on the money!

Have a good one, guys!
Bob
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Do people really... 2014/04/23 12:08:47 (permalink)

I use these.  I like the feel and tone of them.  And, since nothing else I own is close to this color, it is a lot easier to find them.  As an added bonus, if I am playing with another guitarist and I drop mine on the floor, the other guy never tries to claim them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1