Korg Nanopad2 vs M-Audio Trigger Finger

Author
Scoot
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
2014/04/10 00:00:51 (permalink)

Korg Nanopad2 vs M-Audio Trigger Finger

I've had the Trigger finger for a number of years, but 18 months ago I moved to Vietnam. I had an issue with the Trigger finger on Windows 7, one that I have seen described the same by another with their M-Audio Axium, in that I couldn't use my external soundcard and Trigger finger on USB at the same time, Sonar would see one or the other. I'm not blaming Sonar here, I believe the conflict was in windows, but I gave up trying to resolve long ago, and pluged it into my Roland Quads Midi in and connected the trigger finger to a PSU. 

With setting up here, I had the choice of importing, paying the an 'as new' import tax which is typically overvalued, plus the shipping, or finding an alternative. The compact nature of the Nanopad appealed, and having had constant issues with an old Firewire M-Audio FW 1814 connected to a TI Firewire port, my faith with M-Audio is low. The nanopad was 36 quid (about 60 dollors I guess), and small enough to ask that a colleagues sister could bring in her luggage, and escape import duties and shipping.

So here's my opinion. I am really hap with the Nanopad2. It's reported (in some reviews) to allow 8 notes per pad, but this is four, I'd prefer 8, but four is still good for chords. There are complaints about sensitivity, and one solutions is to remove the tiny gap between the underside of the pad, and the contact strip with tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT56ZrIuueU

I'm not sure why he applies the tape to the pad and not to the back of the contact strip, but his method had worked and with the sensitivity setting under 'Global' settings The response is improved, although I'm not getting the lower end of the velocity dynamic range. I'll experiment further, with tape thickness and sticking to either the strip of the pad.

EDIT: I have now systematically tried and tested the above mod, and comes to the conclusion its a load of guff. I took the Nanopad apart and played it without the rubber pads. It just seems the dynamic for the velocity is about 100 (27-127). I set it up with pairs of pas with no tape, 1 layer of tape through to 4 layers, and could not see or hear a difference in response. I think you just get used to playing it. Don't bather risking your warranty over it.

I find the Nanopad to be a lttle easier on the fingers than the TFinger. and although the pads are smaller (which helps when playing multiple pads) hitting the pad off centre seems more responsive than the TFinger. I don't seem to need t hit as hard, and the rubber is a little softer. Playing nots and holding notes on, is also easier than on the TFinger.

The editor, oh man, how I hated the editor on the TFinger, it just wasn't intuitive,  it was longwinded, and had me scraching my head to figure what I did differently from before, which seemed to had worked. The Korg Editor however is a joy, dragging thing around, swapping notes, editing multiple pads at one go, sending and receiving the scenes, I love it, I have not even looked at a manual, it's that simple. You get 4 scenes to a scene set, I wondered how easy it would be to make scene 2, scene 3, and scene 3 become scene 2 (just change the order), I tried CTRL C, CTRL V, but no luck, then I thought, can I just drag it, and there simples, drag one to the over, it doesn't overwrite leaving you with 2 scenes the same, it saps them as you'd want. 

Playing the session drummer, and the 4 of the Toms are on the top row 2 on the bottom. Simple drag and swap, effortless.

If I wanted a controller surface, Korg has one me over, I would now go for the NanopadKontrol.

post edited by Scoot - 2014/04/11 06:21:33

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1