Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook

Author
JimmyBoy
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
2014/04/11 23:27:43 (permalink)

Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about replacing my Blu-ray in my notebook for a Samsung 1tb SSD, I rarely ever use it.  I want to then mirror the SSD with my System HDD and then later break the mirror and use the SSD as the System...

This would be killer for Sonar, especially the VST scanning and stuff... 

I can then maybe later down the track replace the original System HDD with another SSD along with then further down the track replace the other Storage HDD with yet another SSD..

If I ever need a Blu-ray I can always use a USB external Blu-ray..

Are there any "Cons" with doing this a part from the cost?  Would SSD System drive cause any issues with Sonar - I can't imagine that it will... 

[tube]
http://youtu.be/YWUKAUlxrkg
[/tube]

Cheers
Jim
post edited by JimmyBoy - 2014/04/11 23:34:53

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Sonar Producer X3e, Z3TA+2.1, TH2 x64 2.2.17 Full, Amplitude 3, Windows 10 x64, ...
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, ASIO4aLL2 
HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a TouchSmart, Scarlett 2i2, Samson G-Track, Samson Graphite 49

[utube]https://youtu.be/Uds7g3M-4lQ[/utube] 

11 Replies Related Threads

hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/11 23:46:41 (permalink)
    Just clone the new drive from the existing using Acronis or some other software (or hardware if available). Hold on to the old drive for a bit until you are sure everything is fine, and then re-use that is a Project Drive.

I assume the system can handle sample and Sonar at the same time with good speed, but you'd have to test that.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    JimmyBoy
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/12 00:07:47 (permalink)
    Yeah the notebook (HP ENVY 17-j005tx) is a killer already, I can't really imagine how much faster and how much more less noise it will be after installing SSD drive and removing the HDDs..

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Sonar Producer X3e, Z3TA+2.1, TH2 x64 2.2.17 Full, Amplitude 3, Windows 10 x64, ...
    HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a TouchSmart, Scarlett 2i2, Samson G-Track, Samson Graphite 49

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/12 04:53:13 (permalink)
    Is your machine noisy now? Unlike many laptops, your unit has a cooling fan. If the noise is coming from that, removing the hard drive will have no effect. You could disconnect the drive to see how much noise is reduced without it and then you would not have to imagine anymore.If you can find out the manufacturer of the drive (properties in device manager) you may be able to find a utility from the drive maker that will do an "acoustic test" ie turn off and rev up the drive to get the same information without a screwdriver.
    As for speed, you may be disappointed. Except for a faster boot up, most people will not notice a difference in performance between an SSD and a fast mechanical drive. As is typical for laptops where power saving, and heat reduction are more important consideration than performance, yours has a 5400 rpm standard drive. If you have the hybrid model, the effective speed will be significantly faster than you would expect from the rpm. You might be able to replace it with a 7200 rpm unit, with much more capacity per dollar than an SSD, but heat dissipation might be a problem and battery life will take a hit. Unless you are getting dropouts your current drive is fast enough.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401.pdf
    JimmyBoy
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/12 06:04:19 (permalink)
    The notebook isn't very noisy at all.  When I'm converting some videos the fans do power up and can get nosier, though not at any level that is unbearable.

I don't think I have hybrid drives, (2 x HGST HTS541010A9E680) the boot time though is supra quick and can login in seconds, though when I click back to the desktop or startup outlook, I can still see my icons and task bar still loading up...

I've read some comparisons and tube videos and see the ssd drive loads apps like outlook and word and stuff lightning fast, almost no delay!! There are times where I see sonar scanning vsts can take a while, (not at any unbearable time though) I'm sure this will improve immensely..  There are some notes when editing large videos and stuff that I come across, but that was only an issue with the earlier ssd with lesser than the EVO type drives, some mention was to get the 500/750gb Pro drive with higher read/write rates. The evo has the 540/520 as does the Pro drives...

I'm hang'n to see how indexing will speed up, searching within file explorer is going to fly!!

The other handy thing about ssd is the ssd can take some knocks and be ok, no disk crashes :)  Just hope there are no bugs...  

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Bagongolo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/16 03:55:13 (permalink)
    Using a ssd as system disk causes no issues to Sonar but:
    Except for booting and program loading you will not notice a substantial difference in speed,
    If your hard drives are 5400 rpm it would be better upgrading them to 7200,
    My suggestion is buying a 240/256 ssd for the system  and 1 tb 7200 for data storage.
    Be aware that if you want to use a ssd as system disk it would be better doing a Windows clean install avoiding to use recovery disk or cloning/migrating programs (you need a regular Microsoft disk) and remember to disable defrag.
    Indexing is one of the first things you have to disable to improve speed in your system.
    Even if your machine isn't too noisy (now!) the cooling system needs to be cleaned at least once in a year and to do this you have to open your notebook to access to the inner parts of the cooling systems (for both cpu and gpu), disassemble the fans and remove the dust that you'll find on the filtering part (where the air blows out; it takes 15/20 minutes and it's not difficult to do).
    Hope it helps and sorry for my english

JimmyBoy
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/16 04:19:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the notes bagongolo - I've already explored the notebook casing and stuff, got in and can easily access memory, disks and cpu including fans... I noticed over all the vents there is a fine plastic mesh to help prevent dust - impressive was my first thought!!!

I've already ordered 1tb ssd Samsung evo drive, will see how that goes.

I plan to move the exiting system drive into the blu-ray drive, ( I also purchased a dvd replacement caddy to plug in a hdd) and then perform the migration using the tool provided by samsung to the ssd. if it is too troublesome then i'll use acronis to do the job (if need be). 

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Bagongolo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/16 04:43:51 (permalink)
    I think using Samsung migrating program is going to be an easy thing and hope it works well (I never used it), but, because of the different architecture between ssd and hhd, you could experience some issues using Acronis or similar cloning programs.
    Remember to disable automatic defrag on ssd.
    Anyway you made a good choice with evo, my suggestion on a 240 ssd was only thinking of spare some money.
    Good luck with the job and pls report your experience with the Samsung migration tool.
    Ciao
    Ps: impressive the filtrating mesh of your HP, my Alienware has nothing similar!
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/17 23:06:12 (permalink)
    JimmyBoy
    I've already ordered 1tb ssd Samsung evo drive, will see how that goes. 

I'll be watching this space. I have in my line of sight exactly that drive. I have a great laptop as well, but with two 7500 drives. I've recently been thinking my next substantial upgrade to anything in my studio should be to two of these 1TB drives. Thanks for your posts on it. I'll be interested in your experience. By the way, I also pitched the Blu-Ray drive to make room for a second internal drive. Instead I now have an external Blu-Ray drive for when I use it once in a blue moon.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    JimmyBoy
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/18 01:01:21 (permalink)
    No Probs I'll try and write my experience here with it..

At the moment its been sitting for a few days at "Arrived at US shipping Center Apr-14-14, 00:03 AM, ERLANGER, KY 41018", (I'm based I Australia)...

My Caddy replacement drive has already arrived, looks quality stuff too..

Also waiting for a Height Adjustable desk, adjustable for standing up and sitting down (1800x750) comes with cable tray, and will work a treat with work and as a studio desk :)

http://buydirectonline.com.au/altex100-height-adjustable-desk

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/18 19:54:29 (permalink)
    Hey Jimmy, one thing you might want to consider (which might save you some money) is that most DVD drive are SATA II and most SSD are SATA III.  The difference is throughput/bandwith which has an affect on (transfer) speed.  SATA II connection transfers at 3 GB/s and SATA III at 6 GB/s. So, even though a SSD is faster, it may not give you the results you expect once installed in the DVD drive bay.

Just something to think about.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
    post edited by Living Room Rocker - 2014/04/18 20:34:55
    JimmyBoy
    Re: Replacing DVD for SSD Drive on notebook 2014/04/18 21:55:38 (permalink)

I don't even know if my controller is SATA 6 capable, got to look into that...

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1