VST control issue

Author
Snowden
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/04/12 16:18:42 (permalink)

VST control issue

Hi all! 
    I principally use Sonar as a composition tool using a full spectrum of VSTs.  Barely getting away with it as I am becoming older by the day.  My first pro piece was a MiniMoog in 1972 and have been through Mellotrons, Oberheims, Rhodes, CP-70's, C3's, , ,you get the picture. GEEZER.  
    I need a second party sequence for my B4II to STOP changing its registration (presets and such) within a sequence.    I just want to know how to change or stop that which has been recorded.  I believe the incredible variety of output options, Leslies and the like, to be all part of these presets. So, no problem.  I am so old that I used to reprogram my road C-3 presets with all of those internal wires and a grid!  And I had to bribe the Hammond tech to crank up percussion etc.  The B4 is an outstanding piece. I have yet to try out its replacement.
      I am also working with a file (a sequence in the old days) of an orchestration by a lady that entered it alphanumerically.   I can't imagine the tedium but she did an excellent job.  What I am having issues with are the controls embedded in General MIDI that change registration (aka patches) within a piece.  I implored her to stop fading because it created hassles when I re fleshed the orchestration. She did.  
           Any help as to where they are hiding these controls within a sequence would help.  So that I can end the problem.  I still use Sonar 6 Producer since it fills the need and its replacement editions didn't seem to offer much I needed and eventually stopped supporting the hundreds of existing projects.  Or so I was led to believe.    

3 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: VST control issue 2014/04/12 17:48:08 (permalink)
    Look on the event list which is "supposed"to show everything. But I have found that this is a feature of Sonar that is somewhat buggy. I actually had to open some files ( Hey, I call them sequences too! old Atari dude here) with a copy of Cubase LE I have. I also used to use a freeware sequencer. I would open the MIDI file with those programs , delete all the conrollers and PG info and then I could get them to behave in Sonar. Somehow I think the bug is related whether the sequences where saved as Midi 0 or Midi 1 files. 

Another quick trick to eliminate PG changes is to slip edit the beginning of a given track right to the very first note in that track, Most PG events will be in the first count in measure. 

There is also a tool to remove all controller data hidden somewhere I forget where!  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VST control issue 2014/04/12 17:59:39 (permalink)
    I cannot recall when the plug-in was introduced, the MIDI Event Filter MFX has been around for some time. Drop it on any MIDI track and filter out what you don't want.
    Snowden
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: VST control issue 2014/04/12 22:38:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  Having Mellotrons in my wake, nothing bothers me. I will look into the suggestions.  I remember starting a sequence in record mode and changing its attributes on the fly but that isn't working in getting the B4II to drop its preset changes.   Since it was calling up a preset that I didn't see much use for,  I re registered it and saved it.  That works for now but there has to be a way to get around the program change function.  There may be some cats at an NI site than know the B4.  The same sequence has manic manual filter sweeping meant for a GM synth of some sort (such as that in the TTS) but it calling up bad habits on the MiniMoog V.  My version of the Mini V doesn't do manual "knob" alteration very well.  Gave up looking for the reason.  I have an original Mini (#1472) and will use it more once it is overhauled.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1