Downloading speed problem ..need help.

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2014/04/13 14:22:14 (permalink)

Downloading speed problem ..need help.

I have tried using an automatic IP and a static IP. I have changed the last two numbers of my static IP. I have tried using different DNS servers but the one I was using is still fastest.
So, since I use Comcast/Xfinity cable for internet, I used their speed test and my ping was 14ms, my download speed was 1.26 Mpbs, my upload speed was 2.03 Mbps.
HOWEVER I have tried many times to update Amplitude and the most speed I can get is a little over 100 Kbps. That is not acceptable and I do not understand. I have recycled my modem and router.
My modem is a Motorola SB5120, router is a Netgear WNR 2000. I have static IPs on all devices (phones, laptops, and one iPad) so that I avoid conflicts.
While I am trying to DL this update everything else is off. This forum loads instantly, my startpage loads instantly, most everything I do is pretty close to no wait time. Now and then I will have to drop a YT video down below 720p but usually it is not a problem.

Is anyone else having trouble with downloads from IK Multimedia? I have never had this problem with them and FWIW I try the link on the DL page that says to use it if you are having trouble downloading.

I think I am going to buy a newer modem and router but since everything else is faster... I am wondering if the problem is on my end. Things have been slower lately on my wife's laptop and I've noticed that my signal indicator is one bar short on my laptop, but I usually have full speed on my iPhone. Still, I don't think this problem is here... but I am not sure. It sure is a LOT of difference between the DL speed from IK and the DL speed on the "Speed Check".
Wifey just said that the desktop, which is wired to the router says that all her websites have security problems, these are normally safe, no problem sites... so she is going anyway. Maybe I'll try rebooting the desktop, turning off the wireless on the laptops, and recycle the modem and router then turn everything back on... I don't know what to do so I am guessing... I need help!

Thanks,
J
post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 14:58:49

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

12 Replies Related Threads

jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 14:34:55 (permalink)
    I did another speed check at ZD/net and it seems I am somewhere between Ecuador and Djibouti... I guess I need to call Comcast and schedule a visit. I hate calling them and answering all their stupid questions and recycling everything for them before we get to the point of making an appointment for a tech to come out. Oh well, I'll just be glad to get things sorted out.
    Maybe I'll run a malware scan..

Thanks,
    J
    post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 15:09:59

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 15:00:31 (permalink)
    I am on the desktop now. I downloaded a "speed check" APP for my phone and ran it connected to WIFI and on ATT LTE. On WIFE I was runninunder 1Mbps, on ATT LTE I was over 15 Mbps so something is definately WRONG... now, on the desktop I am getting safety (certificate) warnings on websites, even Google and Yahoo... but not when I clicked a Fav and came here. Odd...

Anyway, I will continue to try and figure this out but if you have any ideas from the symptoms I've given, please let me know what you think.

I did a speed test (Ookla) on the desktop and the DL speed is 31.77 Mpbs, so I think the problem must be the router. Am going to shut off all devices and recycle the modem and router to see if that helps. The "security certificate" error message on the desktop is weird though. It has never done that before but really, I never use it. Everything else is either Windows 7 or IOS and the desktop is XP, though I don't guess that should matter. If shutting down and recydling does not help I will unplug the desktop from the router to see if that changes anything. I am at a complete loss as to what to do and am shooting in the dark, trying things...

Thanks again,
    Julien
    post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 15:10:31

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 15:32:57 (permalink)
    OK, the desktop "security certificate errors" were because for some reason the date and time were WAY off... on the desktop it was July 7, 2003. I fixed it and no more errors. I am going to check the antenna connection on the router before shutting everything off and recycling.... be back, ... forgot, there is no external antenna on this router. I wonder what would happen if I used a pin and hit the restore factory settings on the router...?? Will I lose my network (which I won't know how to set back up)??.. if I restore factory settings on the router?

J
    post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 15:38:36

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 16:08:16 (permalink)
    I unplugged and moved a home phone handset. That about doubled the speed but it is still in the 1.5 Mbps range for DL, about double that for upload. I'm going to move the router... will be back. Perhaps this will help someone else... I don't know what I am doing but am fiddling through things and will post the results. edit> I wonder why my DL speed runs between 1.3 and 1.5 Mbps according to the server I try and the upload speed is consistently above 4 Mbps...???  Is that normal?

Julien
    post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 16:11:10

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 17:28:20 (permalink)
    Is your wireless secure?

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 17:56:40 (permalink)
    drewfx1
    Is your wireless secure?

YES..

BTW, I have now tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I've moved everything. I've tried it with the desktop on/off. Recycled according to instructions, moved the router. Everything... so now I am router shopping, looking at either Asus or Apple. OH... one more thing to try. We got a new laser printer that has a USB connection (I think from the monitor). I have not tried turning it off. DL speeds are hanging around 1.5 Mbps wireless on everything, but since the desktop is at what.. 33.5 Mbps via Ethernet cable, I disremember, that (I assume) tells me that a strong signal is coming from the modem and transmitted by cable so it has to be the wireless part of the router.
    Also, the router is upstairs, but not more than 30' away on a tabletop with an open door... it should be doing better. I looked at the new Linksys router with the three antenna but people say they have to recycle it all the time, however.. that may be a problem solved with a static IP for every device, it stopped the dropouts on this router.
    Eh..

Is the security a problem or no? I think it is WEP Personal.

edit> Powering off the printer didn't help and the USB does not run to the monitor of course...

Why is it always something? Perhaps to keep it from being something else??  

J
    post edited by jbow - 2014/04/13 18:29:18

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    drewfx1
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 18:35:05 (permalink)
    Wireless traffic is shared by all devices connected, so if many devices are connected and using bandwidth, that could slow things down. You can check the router to see what's currently connected to make sure everything is kosher here. Also make sure the router isn't forcing a lower bandwidth wireless mode.

It's also possible that another nearby wireless access point is using the same channel for wireless communications. Generally you set this to automatically select a channel, but you can check this and try changing it.

It is also possible, but I'm guessing unlikely, for what can only be called "stupid" devices (certain brands of cell phones apparently do, or at least did, this) to cause problems by repeatedly trying to connect to a secure network they can't connect to over and over and over if you are in an area where there a lot of people wandering nearby. The solution to this is to make the wireless network hidden by not broadcasting the SSID, which is a good thing security wise, but it can potentially make connecting new devices a pain.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 19:40:50 (permalink)
    drewfx1
    Wireless traffic is shared by all devices connected, so if many devices are connected and using bandwidth, that could slow things down. 

Do I go to the router website to do this?

Also make sure the router isn't forcing a lower bandwidth wireless mode.

I do not know how to do this

It's also possible that another nearby wireless access point is using the same channel for wireless communications. Generally you set this to automatically select a channel, but you can check this and try changing it.

Not sure what you mean. I set all my devices and computers to their own static IP.

It is also possible, but I'm guessing unlikely, for what can only be called "stupid" devices (certain brands of cell phones apparently do, or at least did, this) to cause problems by repeatedly trying to connect to a secure network they can't connect to over and over and over if you are in an area where there a lot of people wandering nearby. The solution to this is to make the wireless network hidden by not broadcasting the SSID, which is a good thing security wise, but it can potentially make connecting new devices a pain.

With the grand kids and kids... yeah, this would be a problem.

I looked at the possibility of getting a couple of 25 to 50 ft Ethernet cables. Then I could put the router in the walkway upstairs between the two sides of the house, it overlooks the den/living room where we use the laptops. I could run one from the modem to the router and one back to the desktop and I'm thinking that should give direct line of sight from the router to the laptops from 10 to 20 ft.
    Or, I could get a new AC router... maybe I could try the cables first as they are pretty cheap. I read about using an access point but if I understand right it splits the broadband and may thwart security... I'm not sure about it.

Thanks for the help...

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    drewfx1
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 20:06:57 (permalink)
    jbow
    drewfx1
    Wireless traffic is shared by all devices connected, so if many devices are connected and using bandwidth, that could slow things down. 

Do I go to the router website to do this?

The configuator thingy website for the router should have a page that shows you what's currently connected to it's wireless network.

Also make sure the router isn't forcing a lower bandwidth wireless mode.

I do not know how to do this

It would be in the router's wireless configuration screen, and it wouldn't be the default or change on its own.

Not sure what you mean. I set all my devices and computers to their own static IP.

Wireless devices have channels they communicate on. You can think of it like a radio frequency for a radio station. If your neighbors are using the same (or nearby) channels, you are effectively sharing the possible bandwidth. Again your router's wireless configuration screen will have a setting for this. 

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 21:21:50 (permalink)
    Wireless is always going to be slower than a physical connection to the router, and the router typically adds some delay as well. The download speed your ISP is selling you is based on a direct wired connection from your modem to a single computer. If your ISP's speed  test is below spec in that configuration, call your ISP. They can take you through ruling out configuration problems, but if the problem is with their signal or wiring, you may well have to have the pole dancer pay a visit.

btw What speed is your ISP claiming you should be getting?
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/13 23:01:43 (permalink)
    Maybe you need to purchase a newer wireless modem?

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    jbow
    Re: Downloading speed problem 2014/04/14 15:49:30 (permalink)
    Thanks all... I am not sure what my ISP says my speed should be but when I checked the desktop, running on an wired cable from the router it is about 33.5 Mbs, DL.

I will go to my router's webpage and check some of the stuff Drew mentioned. I sort of fumble my way through this stuff. I learned to do a lot back when I was using XP on everything and got malware from time to time... I learned how to clean a registry etc but this router and DL speed thing is something new. Usually it isn't a problem that I notice and I think the IK upgrades were problems more on their end. Most webpages and videos load and play just fine but perhaps I don't know what I am missing, huh?
    I just did another sped check and this laptop, downstairs with the router upstairs is still hitting about 1.48 Mbps DL and over 4 Mbps UL, with an 11 ms ping. Just to see, I went upstairs and set the laptop about 18" from the router and the DL speed was 4.26 Mbps, UL speed was 3.88 Mbps. Still, with my iPhone hitting over 17 Mbps on ATT, (not on WIFI) I think there should be improvement, and there will be and I imagine it will cost a bit... but I cannot tend to it until about 2 weeks from now. I'll see what I can find out online with the router and then if I get another router or two... I'll surely post the results.
    Thank you
    Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1