Can anyone repro this behavior?

Author
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2014/04/13 15:49:56 (permalink)

Can anyone repro this behavior?

I think I've spotted a repeatable bug with recording in loop mode. Here's how to repro it on my machine:

1. open a new blank project.
2. Insert an audio track.
3. enable the audio metronome and set a 1 measure count-in
4. set a loop region and enable the loop. I use a two bar loop, but any size will work.
5. begin recording audio on the track you created. It doesn't appear to matter if you record more than one cycle of the loop region.
6. Stop recording and listen back.

On my system this always results in audio being about two beats late. The strange part is that the clip shows the correct time region, but the recording actually started during the count-in. For example, if I were to count beats into a mic (just saying "one, two, three" etc, one count per beat) starting on the first beat of the count-in and continuing for 2 bars (in 4/4), I would expect to record the numbers 5-12 and NOT record numbers 1-4 (they occur during the count-in), but that's not what's happening. What gets printed is numbers 3 through 10, i.e. the last two beats of the count-in are recorded and the recording ends two beats early.

If I'm recording without a loop or with no count-in it works fine.

Thanks,
Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...

27 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 17:46:31 (permalink)
    Are you using X3e? It included several fixes that related to loop and punching issues when recording.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 18:16:15 (permalink)
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for responding. I am using X3e build 352. Any chance you've had a moment to try this? I'm curious to see if it happens on anyone else's system or if it's unique to mine...

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 18:23:41 (permalink)
    I just did this.  And yes, I get a 2-count delay occurs.

Man, I thought it was fixed!!!
    Anderton
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 19:12:32 (permalink)
    I've never experienced this because I don't use a count-in for a loop. I always set the now time somewhat before so that the song itself provides the count-in, and I can get "in the groove."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 19:50:04 (permalink)
    Time for a bug report.
    Anderton
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 21:10:48 (permalink)
    I just tried what I thought your steps were but couldn't get it to act up. Here are your steps, with more details on what I did. Steps 1- 3 were the same...I enabled the metronome for record only, if that makes any difference.

4. set a loop region and enable the loop. I use a two bar loop, but any size will work.

I set a two bar loop from measure 3 to measure 5.

5. begin recording audio on the track you created. It doesn't appear to matter if you record more than one cycle of the loop region.

I set the Now time to the beginning of the loop and started counting 1, 2, 3, 4 on the beat as soon as the countdown began. The now time didn't move during the countdown, then it moved and recording started.

6. Stop recording and listen back.

I stopped recording before the end of the loop, if that matters. When I played back, the clip started with 5, 6, 7, etc., as expected.

Then I thought maybe you meant that you had punch and looping enabled, so I tried that but still got the same results. Next, perhaps you had the loop starting at the beginning, so I tried that...but it still worked as expected.

I'm trying to figure out what's different about our two scenarios so I can reproduce it.

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 21:14:03 (permalink)
    Yeah, something's missing from the recipe or it's system-specific. I can't reproduce it, either, and I can't imagine this wouldn't have been reported before now if it were widely experienced.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/13 23:08:40 (permalink)
    bapu
    Time for a bug report.

This has been reported.  I know I reported this back in the X2 days, but I think it was user-error rather than software bugs.

brundlefly
    Yeah, something's missing from the recipe or it's system-specific. I can't reproduce it, either, and I can't imagine this wouldn't have been reported before now if it were widely experienced.

Something is funky here, that's for sure. To compare X2 vs. X3, I just opened up a project in X2 with a count-in of 1, placed the NOW bar right on the loop point start, armed the audio track and hit the record button. The metronome counted off and then Sonar X2 started recording. Upon stop and inspection of the recorded audio, everything is OK and there is no delay. However, opening the same project in X3, and then performing the same test, results in the delay of audio (almost 3/4 of a bar). Now what the heck is going on here? I gotta remember what I changed in the preferences (or something) that corrects for this oddity. Hmm...

EDIT:  Turns out that I submitted a bug report CWBRN-18893 way back when that complained of a delay when reading an automation envelope if a metronome count-in is utilized. X2a supposedly fixed several metronome and count-in issues.

post edited by 2:43AM - 2014/04/13 23:28:24
    sphere720
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 00:05:49 (permalink)
    OK so I'm not the ONLY one here having this issue. I'm going to try without using the 'count-in' feature and see if I still have the same problem.

Sonar X1, X2, X3; Reason 3,7; Sony CD Architect 
    Stationary; Tascam DM24; RME Hammerfall 9652
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz,
    Mobile; Novation Impulse; M-Audio 1814
    Windows 7 32bit, Toshiba Satellite Intel Dual Core
    4GB Ram
    Anderton
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 00:34:53 (permalink)
    Okay, but there's still something missing from the "how to repro" recipe, or Brundlefly and I would have been able to reproduce it.

sphere720
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 00:40:51 (permalink)
    Changed the count-in from 8 measures to 0 and loop recorded 4 takes. All four lined up as they should. Heh?  I never had to sacrifice my count-in ability before????

But then I remembered an issued from way back in like Sonar 6 I believe. There was this what seemed like an awesome capability introduced to be able to arm a track during playback/record. One time I tried it cause during a session we had a really great vibe on a particular take and I wanted to open up an extra ambient mic in my drum room. Seemed like it was a great opportunity. Needless to say doing so shifted all other tracks in the session. BOOO!  So I never used it again.

Anyway, because I took that trip down memory lane; it reminded me that setting is somewhere probably. Preferences/Project/Record. Uncheck the "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" box. I did so and changed the count-in back to 8 measures. Hey, I have a long hallway to run down to get to my son's room to track these vocals.. I need some good lead time. I've tested this and all takes lined up beautifully.

Don't know what good use that setting has but I have no use for it in my world. Hope this helps others.

Sonar X1, X2, X3; Reason 3,7; Sony CD Architect 
    Stationary; Tascam DM24; RME Hammerfall 9652
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz,
    Mobile; Novation Impulse; M-Audio 1814
    Windows 7 32bit, Toshiba Satellite Intel Dual Core
    4GB Ram
    Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 00:52:52 (permalink)
    Hm..so this is interesting and may narrow down the behavior. My default project has an audio track at track 1 that functions as a loopback. It has input monitoring turned on, so when I've replicated the symptoms it has always been with another track present with a different input and input monitoring turned on. If I turn off input monitoring on that other track the behavior goes away.

So the real recipe seems to look like this:

1. Open a new blank project.
    2. Enable audio metronome and set a count-in of 1 measure.
    3. add an audio track and set its input to some input on your device.
    4. enable input monitoring on that track.
    5. add a second audio track and set it's input to an input on a different stereo pair than the one you chose in step 2. So if you used input 1 above, use something other than 1 or 2. Record Arm this track. Input monitoring on this track doesn't appear to matter.
    6. Set a loop region at measures 3-4
    7. Place the now time at measure 2
    8. begin recording.

For me this always results in the audio being delayed and part of the count-in being recorded. If I remove the first track, remove the the loop region, turn off count-in, or turn off input monitoring on the track I'm not recording on, it works without a problem.

For the folks for whom this was working would you mind testing with the new steps? For the folks who could repro it, do you have some other track with input monitor enabled?

Thanks for the help folks. I appreciate it.

Dean

EDIT - Just read Sphere720's post about "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record". That option is not checked for me.

brundlefly
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 01:43:19 (permalink)
    The new recipe you gave is more like my custom Normal template (I used a copy of the X3 default Normal template the first time), and it doesn't exhibit any issues, either. But I've previously reported various issues around arming on the fly, MIDI automation, tempo changes and metronome count-in in different versions. But none of them ever yielded quite the problem described in the OP, and the description seemed to suggest it could happen with a barbones project started from the Normal template.

Is the anything else in the project that's not part of the Normal template?

Also, am I reading correctly that you run three different audio interfaces? Are you using WDM driver mode, then? If so, this could easily be an issue with driver/clock/timing master setting issues. WDM drivers seem to be more prone to this kind if problem. When you mentioned using different audio inputs, are they on the same interface?

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 02:17:39 (permalink)
    Hi Brundlefly
    Thanks for the help. The only things in the project other than the two audio tracks are a master bus that goes to a hardware out and a metronome bus that also goes to a hardware out. I'll try removing the buses as well when I get back to it tomorrow. Other than that, when I replicated it most recently I opened Sonar, closed down my "normal" template and hit "File, new" and then selected "blank project" just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with my template. I then created a Master and metronome bus, assigned them to outputs and added tracks as my recipe shows. Both tracks were routed to the Master bus.

re: Audio interfaces, I just have one, the RME MADI fx card. It connects via MADI to the Orion and the Aurora which function as standalone converters. Neither has a connection to the PC other than via MADI to the RME. For my recipe I was using inputs 1 and 3, but I replicated it with all kinds of combinations...my "normal" template was using inputs 5 and 105 when I originally repro'd the problem, and input 105 isn't even connected to a converter...

Thanks again,
    Dean

Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 07:51:45 (permalink)
    sphere720
    Uncheck the "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" box. I did so and changed the count-in back to 8 measures. Hey, I have a long hallway to run down to get to my son's room to track these vocals.. I need some good lead time. I've tested this and all takes lined up beautifully.

Don't know what good use that setting has but I have no use for it in my world. Hope this helps others.

I absolutely love this setting! I find it very useful.  I do 110% of my song writing/creation on the fly, so Sonar is usually playing all the time.  With this setting checked, each track's record button is able to be turned on while in playback as opposed to having to hit stop, then arm, then press record.  Overall, I can simply arm/disarm at will, then click the main record button. I find that it keeps me in the groove and allows for more creative possibilities.

OK, so here's the breakdown for me.  Something definitely amiss:

100% natural, home-grown from real X3 dirt, organic X3 blank template used in X3:
    "Arm-changes" preference CHECKED, Looping turned ON = delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference UNCHECKED, Looping turned ON = NO delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference CHECKED, Looping turned OFF = NO delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference UNCHECKED, Looping turned OFF = NO delay in recorded audio

Artificially flavored, X2 blank template (or X2 project) used as hybrid (but non-GMO) in X3:
    "Arm-changes" preference CHECKED, Looping turned ON = delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference UNCHECKED, Looping turned ON = delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference CHECKED, Looping turned OFF = NO delay in recorded audio
    "Arm-changes" preference UNCHECKED, Looping turned OFF = NO delay in recorded audio

Overall, this sucks. It's definitely a bug, IMO; a bug with looping and project/file origination. Bug report time! Why does it properly work in X2 and it's back to being messed up in X3. Did Cakewalk forget to put the bugfix back in X3a/b/c/d/e? I am very happy I paid $99 for an old bug. Wonderful.

EDIT: Problem report CWBRN-25502 just submitted.
    post edited by 2:43AM - 2014/04/14 08:25:07
    Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 10:22:41 (permalink)
    Hi 2:43AM
    Thanks for helping out on this and submitting the bug report. I'm trying to nail down these symptoms as much as I can for when I submit a bug report, so I did a bit more experimenting. Here's what I get.

New blank project (not from a template at all). No buses, 2 audio tracks (track numbers 1 and 2). Track 1 has input 1 assigned, track 2 has input 5. Loop region at measures 3-4, playhead at 2. Track 2 is record armed. Audio metronome on, count-in of 1 measure. 

1. recording with Allow Arm Changes During Playback off and no input monitoring - works fine. No recording during count-in, no delay.
    2. recording with Allow Arm Changes During Playback on and no input monitoring - records the entire count-in period. All four beats. Audio during the actual recording period is delayed or cut off.
    3. recording with Allow Arm Changes During Playback off and input monitoring track 1 - records the last two beats of the count-in period.  Audio during the actual recording period is delayed or cut off.
    4. recording with Allow Arm Changes During Playback on and input monitoring turned on for track 1 - records the entire count-in period. All four beats. Audio during the actual recording period is delayed or cut off. 

If I turn off the count in or de-activate the loop it works fine.

2:43AM - When you record arm a track other than the one you're recording on and set it's input to some input other than the one you're recording on (on a different stereo pair) do you get the same results I get?

Thanks again,
    Dean

brundlefly
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 12:04:46 (permalink)
    I strongly suspect his is hardware/driver-specific. I think the fact that the thread has no new contributors is evidence of that.

I still can't reproduce any kind of a record-timing issue with any combination of looping, count-in, Allow Arm Changes and input monitoring when starting recording with Now at 1:01:000 and looping the first 2-4 measures.

The only case in which I've seen anything like this is when starting recording with a track armed, disarming it on-the-fly during the count-in, and then re-arming on the fly and recording later in the project. Obviously this is a very unusual scenario, and in that case the recorded audio ended up shifted earlier not later IIRC.

Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/14 18:37:30 (permalink)
    Hi Brundlefly,
    I think the theory that this is hardware/driver specific is certainly possible.

2:43AM - are you using RME gear?

Dean

Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/15 07:07:08 (permalink)
    Razorwit
    2:43AM - are you using RME gear?

I am not using any RME gear. I have a Focusrite Firewire interface.

My bug report came back from Cakewalk. I need to call them. "The problem you are experiencing is most likely a system specific problem or a configuration issue that we believe can be resolved with assistance from Cakewalk Technical Support."

If I get a chance to today, I will try to give them a call.
    brundlefly
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/15 10:53:09 (permalink)
    I did some Googling of the forum because I remembered people reporting recordings starting one measure late. Most of them were about MIDI and were very old like SONAR 5-6, but there was at least one about audio in X1. Unfortunately, that one seemed to be affecting only a limited number of people and just petered out without any real resolution.

One thing you might try short of a complete uninstall/reinstall of SONAR is deleting/renaming your AUD.INI file and letting SONAR build a new one. You'll find it in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X3 Producer

Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/16 07:26:17 (permalink)
    Update: I called Cakewalk yesterday evening.  They needed to look into the issue further and will get back to me hopefully today.
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/16 22:12:28 (permalink)
    UPDATE: I was advised by Cakewalk to completely (and thoroughly) uninstall X3 and reinstall.  So I did, and things are not better; the recorded audio delay still existed.  So I uninstalled ALL versions of Sonar (X1, X2 and X3) and wiped the registry clean. as instructed by Cakewalk.

I just tested it now...and...

...the delay in recorded audio is still there!  Seriously...this is %$@#&@ ridiculous!!!

EDIT: If I change the metronome to MIDI notes instead of audio, the delay goes away. So what the heck does that mean?
    post edited by 2:43AM - 2014/04/16 23:11:51
    Razorwit
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/17 00:38:11 (permalink)
    Hi 2:43
    Yeah, still no idea here what's going on. I've been trying to find some time to get on the phone with support but haven't gotten around to it. I'll let you know if I find anything out and please do the same if you get any good info.

Dean

brundlefly
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/17 02:37:24 (permalink)
    2:43 AM, it appears you're overclocking your CPU. I'm not sure if that (or some setting related to it) could cause this, but I wouldn't rule it out given how unusual the problem is. How hard would it be for you to reconfigure for rated speed?

Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/17 06:41:06 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    2:43 AM, it appears you're overclocking your CPU. I'm not sure if that (or some setting related to it) could cause this, but I wouldn't rule it out given how unusual the problem is. How hard would it be for you to reconfigure for rated speed?

You're right! I am indeed overclocking with much stability. Swapping back to default CPU/System parameters is relatively easy, so I went ahead and did just that and proceeded with the test. The result is the same: big delay in the recorded audio.

This is some seriously funky stuff going on here; impossible to narrow down. The "issue", even if it wasn't a true bug, was gone in X2a but only later in the game. I submitted a bug report of this very thing for X2a! Little did I know that Cakewalk would never release an X2b. But then the issue seemed to go away by itself.  I reported in this thread that X2a worked well; no issues. However, now in X3e, the issue seems is back! So now it's worthy of me to try to figure out what setting change--what tweak--I did in X2a that cured the problem.

This is the best thread of yesteryear that I could find on the exact same issue.  The issue has been around since 2011 and maybe earlier (I think some threads reporting count-in problems date back to 2008). See http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2413605&p=3.  Brundlefly's been helping with this topic since at least 2011! Thanks for sticking with it!  Unfortunately, for all users, no complete resolutions nor the identification of the problem have been mentioned since then.
    brundlefly
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/17 10:44:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's the main thread I was referring to earlier. Did you ever try renaming your AUD.INI file or switching driver modes? You might also try enabling UseHardwareSamplePosition=1 in AUD.INI.

fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re: Can anyone repro this behavior? 2014/04/17 17:22:58 (permalink)
    Did a test counting 12345
    When I playback its starts at 5 so no issue here.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1