SOLVED: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects...

Author
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
2014/04/14 15:44:34 (permalink)

SOLVED: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects...

What I am trying to do is minimise projects for use on a gig laptop which has limited space. IN most of my projects I have muted tracks and as the project file is only a copy, by removing this audio data I am not affecting the original data, but I am reducing the file size. However I have come across this rather odd thing. It seems Sonar creates a (seems like full) copy of an audio track that has been edited, and in effect doubles the space taken by one track. I post an example below:

" />

Now I can happily delete the bass track (I play that live) however why does Sonar create a duplicate (almost) drum track? The drum track has been edited. However if I delete either drum track, one of two things happens. The drum part does not play as edited (with parts missing) or it does not play at all. This system seemingly doubles the amount of data!

The original size of the imported track is 30mb. As you can see the folder has doubled that to 60+ mb!

Does anyone know of a way to either force Sonar to edit (destructively is okay) the original track so that no doubling up occurs?

Thanks
post edited by joden - 2014/04/15 14:35:38

11 Replies Related Threads

joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/14 17:34:48 (permalink)
    Anyone?

I mean I COULD use CWB files (as I think this compacts the wav data to destructively apply the audio edits) but I have read elsewhere on this forum that CWB files are no longer considered safe? I used to use them all the time in the past.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/14 17:51:15 (permalink)
    I am not sure that the assessment of "CWB not being safe" is accurate. If transferring a project to another machine, the CWB format is ideal, since it contains all of the files needed for the project to play (simplest transfer option available).

As far as creating other files, a clip is a "window" into a referenced audio file (why you can slip-edit and get data back), but once something is destructively edited, a new file must be created to reference (where "duplicates" come from). Definitely back up projects before deleting any audio files, but if you are transferring projects to another computer, I would think the CWB format would be best.

Another thing to be aware of it this: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation/default.aspx?Doc=SONAR%20X2&Lang=EN&Req=FileManagement.9.html

But again, be sure to backup folders before using it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/14 18:06:26 (permalink)
    Thanks - but CWB doesn't do what I need after all. It creates a single file, that is STILL the same size as the original audio folder.

What I want to know is how I can tell Sonar to overwrite an imported audio track with the edits (ie removed sections, db changes, and on an on. Instead of it recreating a duplicate audio track. As I said if I delete either the original source audio track (IE imported audio track) OR the edited version, the project then does not play as Sonar then says it cannot find the audio data and fills the tracks with blank data!

The original audio data for the above file is approx 35mb, the CWP file after edits (and in most cases it is data REMOVED, not added) jumps to double the size?
    joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/14 18:08:58 (permalink)
    Oh and re the Cleanup Audio tool? Not only does it NOT do what is needed here it also takes forever to scan EVERY folder on the C: drive. Even if ONLY the Project audio folder is selected in the browse option!
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/15 14:31:38 (permalink)
    10 hours ago
    To joden
    Posting didn't work with two diff browsers so I'll try the pm route..
    I'm on 8.5 but unless they changed it- my take is the editing/trimming tools and/or deleting parts off of a track does not reduce file sizes.
    Save As' to a new project (if you want a safety to retain the original).
    Do your trims.
    Bounce the ones that are shortened to new tracks.
    Delete everything not needed. Save' and a 'Consolidate Audio gets you the new compact project version.
     Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME

joden 
    51 minutes ago

Hi Wayne,
    Thanks for that. ummm, I am not sure I fully understand the methodology you are explaining. In my case I have all my projects already set, so can I simply open an existing project, "bounce" the tracks that have edits and then re-save?

The reason I ask is I have , for eg, a bass track that is totally deleted, however the actual audio for the deleted bass track STILL resides in the audio folder for the project? 
    Dennis

I'll try this forum posting for a third time, see if it works today.. LOL
    What we're doing here is using the Consolidate Audio backup tool- which is good for cleaning out all the audio that you delete from a proj, but is still in the audio folder.
    In this case you are making a new project by way of 'save-as to a new name. And in this one after you trim out and delete everything you don't need for the scaled down version, save it then run Consolidate'. That makes a new folder with just that data in it.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Portals - RME
    joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/15 14:37:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Wayne - 
    Yeah this works. But I adopted a slightly different methodology, but still based on your advice.
    Here is what I do:

Delete the bass track in Sonar, re-save the project
    Delete the Bass audio from the audio folder for the project.
    Run the Consolidate tool (which then places this consolidated audio in a "backup" folder)
    Open the Projects Main folder, open the project folder delete all the audio not in the backup folder, move the audio in the backup folder to the main project audio folder.

Jobs done

Thanks again
    Dennis

mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/15 14:51:09 (permalink)
    Good enough. Two things though-
    a) That's fine if and when the tracks are simple to identify -ie not a bunch of punches bits and pieces to sort out (or get wrong for that matter.
    b) After a 'consolidate and save, close and just re-flag the project to the your new audio folder, and restart the proj- that willl shift' the project to the new folder.
    Overall- maybe easier and safer too.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Portals - RME
    joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/15 15:55:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, and a good suggestion but I think I found a better method
    I simply run the consolidate, do a ctrl-s then go the main folder for all the projects (leaving Sonar still open with the project) select all the audio files and press delete, it then allows a delete of all but the tracks now being used by Sonar after the consolidate. In my case, just the drum track and guitar track. These are the only two audio tracks left.

Quick and easy. I have just completed the routine on 10 projects in a row, perfect! This and the convert to 44 tool (R-8 Brain - suggested by BrundleFly) all good!

It's not like I am working on any of the main projects on my DAW, I am simply working on a copy of that folder that is going to be transferred to the laptop. Ergo the need to have audio at its minimum size.

mettelus
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/16 02:24:31 (permalink)
    Sorry, I dropped off on you, I have been busy lately so glad that Wayne chimed in!

Something came to mind that may also help, which is doing a "save as..." on a project to be moved to the laptop. If you create a new folder, and select "Copy all audio with project" then only the required audio for the project will get copied. Using a prefix in the folder name (like "Laptop -") will group them all together visually. This will at least make folders with only the audio you need on the laptop, but will add space to your DAW.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    joden
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/16 13:41:38 (permalink)
    No probs mett - re your idea...I like the logic, but doesn't Sonar STILL save all the original audio in a project, even if a track is deleted? It is something I have noticed. In my case with the bass tracks. Deleted in the project, however the bass audio still resides in the audio folder...

EDIT: no it does not keep the audio for a deleted track as long as it is saved to a new folder. This indeed may be a better (easier/more efficient)  way.
    post edited by joden - 2014/04/16 14:09:52
    mettelus
    Re: Q re the audio folder Sonar uses for Projects... 2014/04/17 01:02:23 (permalink)
    Correct. SONAR does not delete audio on you (which is actually very important if you back-track in a project), but a current project file only points to the audio it needs. I popped open the biggest project I have with multitudes of audio files, and about 15 project versions... saving one project to a new folder only moved 4 audio files, so the "save as" is handy to keep track of which audio is for which project version.

I honestly have never cleaned audio off my machine just because of how cheap desktop storage has become, but definitely understand the issues with laptops. I am glad that option works for you.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1