Helpful ReplyThe Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/04/21 23:03:15 (permalink)
jkoseattle
OK. So I know there's a forum for this kind of post, but everyone has been so helpful on getting me from 8.5 to X3, lots of help about Take Lanes, ins and outs, and assorted other things, I just thought I'd share the song I've been working on all this time on this forum. Since this is going on the album I'm pulling it off SoundCloud in a couple days, and this is just a first mix. 

https://soundcloud.com/jkoseattle/we-are-the-elders-v1/s-O6Qvq

Great song, well done! It has a fine authentic vintage sound which reminds me a little of the Mothers Of Invention...ear candy!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
MetalTeK
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/05/03 14:54:54 (permalink)
Great advice from everyone! 
Thanks for all the information.
I did run across this video, although it's pro-tools the principle is the same and the man does a good job of explaining the limitations of control using different routing/send methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIxqEx9QTTo

konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/05/03 16:11:33 (permalink)
Difference:

Routing the output of a track to a bus means your entire signal is going to the bus.

Using a  Send means the output of your track is going two places: the bus (which is the main output) and the send (which is a secondary output often used for effects).

With a Send, your main signal keeps on going to the destination, but a part of it splits off and goes down a side road to meet up with the main (original) version later.  Imagine a single road: that's the bus option.  Now imagine a side road splitting off the main road and merging back in later.  That side road is the Send.  Your choice is whether to put the effect in the main road so everything gets doused with it, or put the effect on the side road so you can determine how much gets the effect.  You can send 10%, 40%, or however much you want down that side road.

By using a Send, you can use the Send control to turn the reverb amount up or down without affecting the main signal.  With a bus, you can't just turn the reverb up and down: you have to turn the whole signal up and down.

Not a super scientific explanation but maybe it will help.

Note: In many studios send are used for a lot of things, including setting up separate headphone mixes and other things; but I think in Sonar, effects like reverb would be the main use.

Short bit of advice:  Always keep a dry (no reverb) signal available whenever possible.  If all you have is the version with the effect, you may regret it later.  You never know when you may want a different effect, a little more dry signal mixed in with the effect version, etc.  When you are mixing, options are good.

In your example, if you really just want a special effect, you can put the effect in the bus, just understanding that you will have less control.  I might do that if it were a sound effect or something.  I would not do it for vocals or main instruments because of the lack of control everyone mentioned.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/05/04 10:15:04 (permalink)
Ok, I have the output from my vocal track going to a vocal bus which then outputs to the master bus. I then add a send from that vocal bus that goes to a reverb bus which also outputs to the master bus.
Does this increase the overall volume of the vocal, as I now have two vocal inputs to the master bus? One from the vocal bus and one from the reverb bus?

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
tacman7
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/05/04 10:57:12 (permalink)
I kind of did things backwards. I set the output of my vocal track to my VoiceLive 2 unit, which is how it is supposed to be used, as an insert.

Then I added a send to the main mix to add a little clarity. It also adds a slight delay that ain't bad either.

rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re: The Ins and Outs of Ins and Outs 2014/05/04 11:27:50 (permalink)
rebel007
Ok, I have the output from my vocal track going to a vocal bus which then outputs to the master bus. I then add a send from that vocal bus that goes to a reverb bus which also outputs to the master bus.
Does this increase the overall volume of the vocal, as I now have two vocal inputs to the master bus? One from the vocal bus and one from the reverb bus?

The signal from the reverb bus will be much lower than the direct signal from the vocal tracks, but just watch your meters and balance the signals accordingly.  Remember that the reverb plugin is set to 100% wet, and your Send is only sending a fraction of signal to the bus for processing.  And you understand, if you're working with just one vocal track, there's no need for the vocal bus.  You would have a Send on the soloist track going directly to the reverb bus.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1