Helpful ReplyThe best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/24 03:00:48 (permalink)
I remember the SWA videos done for earlier versions of SONAR, I really could not bear listening to that accent of the guy who did them for long, though the narrator was knowledgable. Karl Rose is a significant improvement over that guys accent, yet still has a foreign accent that make it not as comfortable as listening to a non-foreign accent, for me. And some days, listening to a foreign accent for long periods of time is no problem.

I guess one can get weary of a certain voice, so it's good to have different choices made available.

Still, me being American and used to North American accent voices, I don't think I could ever grow weary of a North American accent voice such as Eli's or Craig Anderton's, or Bill Edstrom's. I mean, I went through college with lot's of lectures and never grew tired of hearing a North American accent voice, though some of the lectures were boring, I can listen for hours at a time and for days, and feel right at home with it. But I can grow tired of hearing a voice with a non North American accent to where it impairs my learning from the source video/tutorial.

Yet, I reckon to suite the most users, providing tutorials/videos done by a variety of narrators with various approaches to how to do things is the best approach. And the value of reading material for learning purposes becomes apparent in this situation. I do prefer video for learning DAW software related stuff, though.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2014/04/24 03:08:10

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Scoot
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/24 04:15:16 (permalink)
Audience base is primarily North American, makes sense that Videos 'they' do are with a North American, anyone other companies, it's down to them.

I enjoyed Karls Sonar X1 video, his dry sence of humour slipped through every now and again. I must have listened to about 15 hours or Eli so far this month, starting with the x3 videos bundled with March's Upgrade offer. Still got pleanty more to get through on Groove's site. Kenny Gioia's New York accent made a nice break. 

Personally I think the Bakers should get Christopher Walken in to do some.

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/24 05:51:16 (permalink)
Scoot
 Kenny Gioia's New York accent made a nice break. 

Personally I think the Bakers should get Christopher Walken in to do some.

LOL about the Christopher Walken mention!

The accent that native New Yorkers have an which Christopher Walken has, we call an East Coast accent or New England accent. I like that East Coast accent, myself, though I'm from a North Central state, Indiana.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/05/04 13:25:25 (permalink)
bandso

So..why did I post this bit of soul searching. Well... I just finished watching Sonar tips and tricks from groove3.com and I'm just totally blown away. All of the Sonar related groove3 videos, the ones in the cake store, youtube, and others have helped me grow way more than any $500 effect bundle ever did. Plus for the most part they are dirt cheap compared to a new mic, plugin, or interface.
If you are looking to spend a little cash to invest in your studio, invest in yourself. Get these videos so you can at least see all that your powerful DAW has to offer. Feed your head, FEED IT!

Because of your post, I decided to try groove3.com for a month.

THANK YOU!

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
bandso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/05/05 00:43:44 (permalink)
There is so much info on the groove 3 site that it's quite overwhelming at first glance. During the first month when I had full access, I skimmed across so many titles to see what was available. That month passed very quickly. Since then I've been buying one or 2 per week, based on my needs and what I remembered as good videos. When you buy them outright, you can watch them several times over the couse of a year or so just to ingest all of the info that is revealed to you. I watch them over and over. Even more than reruns of the "simpsons" and that speaks volumes in itself. Its just so nice to have them available when you hit a place in mixing and you don't remember how something is done. Just start the video, jump to the place you need, and the info is all there for you.

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1