Helpful ReplyMassive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help needed

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/30 11:00:37 (permalink)
pharohoknaughty
I know this thread is getting old, but so am I.

I was wondering what would happen if I put my VST instrument in a minimalist VST Host, like VSTHost or SAVIhost.

Then use Sonar as normal with my usual high latency plugs.

This would seemingly separate the latency of the audio processing from the synth response, getting best of both worlds.

Anyone figured out how to use a small VST host with low latency that then runs into Sonar and works as a virtual instrument?

Thanks

Which high-latency plugs?  High latency shouldn't be an issue during mixing or mastering, only during tracking (and you can substitute other plugins for that).  Can you describe your workflow?

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/30 17:44:37 (permalink)
I like to hear things the way they will be, and not have to concentrate too much on technical details like changing to low latency plugs or bypassing the effects before recording. So this proposal would let you leave any FX plug in Sonar and it would not affect the VST synth.

For example , I use JJP Vocal which has a latency of 473, and I like to leave it in place at all times.

And today, I had a keyboard player over that was using a B3 Clone VST. I wanted to change projects and show him some of my work in process to play around with, but then I would have had to re-install the B3 clone in each project. This has less to do with latency than convenience.

I suppose it would be kind of like the old days when I put my soft synth like giga sampler on a separate computer with very little latency, and then ran it into the audio inputs of Sonar on the DAW configured with plenty of ASIO buffers. So the soft synth was independent of Sonar. I would like to achieve the same thing only just using the one computer and have the output from the VST host go internally to a Sonar input.

Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone figured this out.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/30 21:26:57 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
I'm just glad it's all sorted out for you.

This issue is QUITE common, but can gray you up faster than being President, and almost as fast as being married.  :)

Bob Bone

I am pretty sure you've got that graying up part backwards.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/30 21:33:03 (permalink)
dwardzala
robert_e_bone
I'm just glad it's all sorted out for you.

This issue is QUITE common, but can gray you up faster than being President, and almost as fast as being married.  :)

Bob Bone

I am pretty sure you've got that graying up part backwards.

Though Bob is still here and posting, you are aware you're responding to a post almost two years old? 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/30 21:36:38 (permalink)
I didn't dig up the thread, I just reacted to it.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 07:50:21 (permalink)
pharohoknaughty
I like to hear things the way they will be, and not have to concentrate too much on technical details like changing to low latency plugs or bypassing the effects before recording. So this proposal would let you leave any FX plug in Sonar and it would not affect the VST synth.

For example , I use JJP Vocal which has a latency of 473, and I like to leave it in place at all times.

This is the source of all your latency issues while tracking. You just can't do that and expect mo latency. Even moving your instruments to another computer won't change anything because the latency is in your FX chain.

Record your parts first, completely naked except for any FX in the instrument itself that you may want to print. Once you've assembled all your tracks you can start the mixing process and start adding FX. I usually take it a sterp further and render all of my tracks as audio just to simplify the project. If I discover that I really need to add another instrument, it is no big deal to temporarily add a VST, enable the global FX bypass, record the new part, render, dump the VST then disable global FX bypass.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 10:41:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/01/31 16:09:00
It would be great if Sonar would expose the latency times on each plugin. Then we could make informed decisions about which ones to use.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 12:45:39 (permalink)
Kylotan
It would be great if Sonar would expose the latency times on each plugin. Then we could make informed decisions about which ones to use.

I think there is a FR for this. Go vote!

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 15:56:57 (permalink)
Kylotan

Waves seem to be the only major plugin developer that tells you what the latency is for each plugin at various sample rates. It's really useful information. Pity others don't follow Wave's example.

(edited to correct pre-emptive text inserting the wrong words).
post edited by tlw - 2016/01/31 16:10:55

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 16:35:02 (permalink)
Documenting it is fine but the DAW could show us the actual values, which is especially important for plugins where the latency can vary. They must have this information, for latency compensation, so it would be helpful to expose the value to users.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: Massive Headache - Latency Problems galore. Tried everything I can think of. Help ne 2016/01/31 19:28:17 (permalink)
dcumpian
pharohoknaughty

This is the source of all your latency issues while tracking. You just can't do that and expect mo latency. Even moving your instruments to another computer won't change anything because the latency is in your FX chain.

Record your parts first, completely naked except for any FX in the instrument itself that you may want to print. Once you've assembled all your tracks you can start the mixing process and start adding FX. I usually take it a sterp further and render all of my tracks as audio just to simplify the project. If I discover that I really need to add another instrument, it is no big deal to temporarily add a VST, enable the global FX bypass, record the new part, render, dump the VST then disable global FX bypass.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for the advise and comments.

Moving the synth to another computer is akin to using a dedicated synth like a Korg Triton. Of course there will be digital latency, but unrelated to the DAW. The DAW has compensation for audio inputs and its own latency. So if you hit record, and there are lots of high latency plugs and high buffer settings, Sonar will line things up, making the new tracks sync to the prior tracks.

I suspect a Triton has latency on the order of 2 or 3 milliseconds.  The latency of a synth on a dedicated computer is going to be related to the A/D/A processing time, plus a little bit for overhead. And of course the terrible latency of MIDI transmission between machines.

So my point is that the latency on the DAW could be set very high and comfortable, say even one second if needed. But the synth (or guitar effects processor) would be independent. Not every audio devise on the computer has to have the same latency, but they can be synced.

I have proposed this idea as long as 15 years ago but it never gains traction. So I am the odd man out.

Your advise to record without effects and render the tracks so forth is good advise given today's state of the art. But I am pretty sure it could change if someone would bifurcate the two systems. The state of the art can move forward.

Thanks again for your comment.

post edited by pharohoknaughty - 2016/01/31 19:42:07
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1