Helpful ReplyWhat mic do you favor for vocals?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/25 00:21:22 (permalink)
Having contributed to this thread at the very beginning and then reading through to the end, this is my take (pun intended), so far. I would have to say that although I would, in principle, agree with Daniel, in that the very best of microphones really have no equal when it comes to capturing the true sound of the source, there are very many people, that the choice of microphone, is often secondary when considering the other processes in the recording chain. i.e. the room, the preamp and the type of music being recorded. I don't mean that it's of no importance, just that there may be no other choice but to go with the best mic they have, even though it may not be a perfect match.

Some of us would have one or maybe two mics that are our "go to" selections, and these are made to "make do" on a source that perhaps a mic, with a slightly different response would be better suited. We might purchase a particular, expensive microphone that suits our voice or instrument perfectly, then use that same mic when it comes to recording a different instrument or voice because we don't have any other choice. It's a juggling act. I'm sure the world's top studios would be able to bring out the "perfect" selection for every requirement, but most of us just don't have that luxury, so we compensate with plugins, setups and post production techniques, in order to make the sound as good as possible. Danny is spot on, it's about the music and the other processes. If you can get those right, you can almost always get it so close to perfect that microphone choice is of little to no consequence, and often in heavily instrumented music it becomes almost impossible to tell if a particular microphone has been the perfect choice.

I know in my case, most of my recordings are acoustic instruments with various vocals that are the highlight of the song. As I said in my original post, this is a particularly interesting thread, and as a relative beginner in this situation I am searching for something beyond a Rode NT1, that works great on most sources but is just not suitable for my vocals. I have recorded shoot outs with my collection of Rode NT1, SM58, NT55 and various other low end mics in my collection, and can easily hear the difference between the these, especially in the quiet acoustic numbers. Even though I'm not happy with the recorded sound of the NT1 on my voice, it is certainly preferable to the SM58, though I would not consider using anything else when playing live. I am no vocal talent, I need all the help I can get, so it's important that I find a mic that's going to bring out the tones in my voice that do sound good, it's been done before.

So, I will keep reading threads like these and hope to come across a mic I can try that will give me what I need. It may be even worth trying to hire/loan a mic, and or preamp, that seems suitable, or contacting a studio that has a good selection and paying for some time to do a shoot out with their selection. I know that I won't be spending $4k on a mic on the off chance that it will be the perfect match for my vocals. It's all food for thought.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/25 21:39:46 (permalink)
Rebel ,not many people like the sound of their own voices recorded Some of them have  good reason for feeling that way, but others sound  ok, at least to me they do. I never liked the way my voice came across either in most things but I'm a glutton for punishment and i keep trying...  If you're a tenor then it sometimes helps to get a mic that takes good advantage of proximity effect or has a pleasing and warm boost at the bass end. IOW enhances that range. Higher voiced men and women would be in another category. Many of the bad things in  vocals I have heard are in the mids, but just as frustrating sometimes this is also where a lot of the good tone resides.

I think the Rode NT2 has a lot more going for it. If you like the NT1 you might like the different polar patterns you get with the NT2, especially if you're recording piano. There are other dynamics out there that seem to be really great for male vox, I'm thinking now of the Heil PR-40. That mic is great for bass drum and male vox. The PR-40 looks like an LDC ...used extensively for broadcasting because it has great rear/side  rejection and captures male voice really well.Probably not the best piano mic though.

I haven't had much luck with trying to make something that went in bad sound good after I recorded it, no matter what I did to it.It was usually so bad that it was beyond me working with it. If I sing in certain keys I can do a little better than in other keys and that has little to do with my mic. Sometimes just jumping down a half step is enough to see an improvement...all voices are different, but I think that all voices have a comfortable zone where the tone is best. Not just the range but the tone.Not sure where you're finding things you don't like, Good luck in finding what works best for you.

I am going out on a limb here and I might have mine bitten off by someone who disagrees, but I would be willing to bet ( If I was a betting man) that most large studios with a large mic selection usually have only a few that they use. Kind of similar to a shoe store where they keep many shoes on the shelf to make the customer feel special by trying on a few pairs before they get the pair they know the customer will likely want. If you really wanted to make that interesting you would sneak around and play with the eq just a little bit on the mics that you didn't want to use...." Here let's try you on this vintage MXL990 and see how that sounds...No?" We also have a mighty fine Behringer designed by Uri in Germany....it's ok but I think you might like this AT4033 a little better...shazam! we have a winner!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

townstra
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/27 20:19:37 (permalink)
I've really been happy with my cheap AT 2035.  I think it was only $150.  I always check Sound on Sound for reviews on inexpensive equipment.  They've been fairly accurate from what I've seen.

Regards,
Tracy
Sonar Platinum, Harrison Mixbus 4, Melodyne 4 Studio, Slate Digital FG-X, ARC 2, Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel I7-4790@3.6ghz, 16 Gb RAM, GeForce GT730, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Behringer ADA8200, Prodipe Ribbon 8 monitors, Prodipe Pro5 monitors, Behringer B2030P monitors, Korg nanokontrol, Korg microKey, Samson Graphite MF8, rack full of channel strips and processors, lots of guitars, basses, and pedals.  www.TracyTowns.com
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/28 11:24:43 (permalink)
Ever since getting my Mojave MA-201 FET, I hardly touch another mic for vocals, with the occasional exception of my Shure SM7B.  The Mojave is just the silkiest/butteriest mic I've ever used, and works great on every singer that I've parked it in front of.  Mostly running it through a Focusrite ISA Two or SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/28 13:44:38 (permalink)
Cryo, yea, my wife sang at another studio into a Mojave - I forget the designation - and it worked very nicely.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/28 16:44:51 (permalink)
There was a great article in the January issue of Sound on Sound on Phil Ramone and how he gets the most amazing vocal sound.  The article is called 'Star Quality'   Not freely downloadable yet but it should be soon I imagine.

It is one of the most interesting things I have read in a while.  Phil basically says that the final vocal sound does not have anything at all to do with the vocal mic, preamp or compressor etc (vocal chain)  It is about something else. Four other things actually and they all have nothing to do with technology.  Check it out if you can sometime. It will really open your mind up about how to get great vocal performances down.

But it is fun to talk about the hardware for sure. I still feel the Rode Classic top of the line valve mic is very very nice and I have used it for many years on everything and it does a stellar job. It is reasonably priced too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/29 10:49:58 (permalink)
My trick for liking my own voice involves monitoring (cans) loud enough to reduce or negate mechanical vibrations thru the bones and voids (watch it!) in my skull, then working what the mic (and others) hear till I like what I get. Some lucky folks either hear what other people hear, or some other combination of airwaves and skull resonance, that gets them on pitch and minus scary artifacts, when they sing, but when I'm singing, everything sounds wonderful, till I play it back, at which point, I realized, I have to get my own mechanical resonance out of the equation cuz it doesn't help.

Mic Theory:

Many people will rave about the quality of the most expensive mics.

Many many people will rave, individually, about whatever mic they own or just used.

Bucketheads just rave, period.

Strike all that.

When you find more than one professional, (the more the merrier), with the experience to know firsthand, raving about a mic (and or pre, mic/pre combo) that's much less expensive than the one's you judge they COULD afford...look at it HARD.

Coupla such beasts...

SM7B

C414UL

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/16 21:06:34 (permalink)
I'm told to 'limit my options'... I always use an EV Co9 dynamic. I don't have anything else :) For me its just a good all-purpose learning mic before I upgrade, which I'm not even thinking on soon.
Hopefully when I get around to it, I'll get an MXL v67G and a REAL interface that doesn't add 1dB of noise to my recordings O.O

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/16 23:03:12 (permalink)
I have dozens of nice mikes,,, it really doesn't matter which one I use...as long as I add this to the signal chain.. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/17 01:25:49 (permalink)
You one of those whisky-voiced vocalists?  As long as you have Jack's, it doesn't matter what you sing (taken from an old Chevy Chase joke when Sat. Night Live was funny).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/21 22:05:47 (permalink)
I've tried a lot of different mics over the years, and on my voice I find that the Blue Blueberry is PERFECT!!  It adds an airiness as well as a bit of grit in the mid-range that I need. 

What intrigues me about mics is that the one that sounds great on one voice may well sound dreadful on another.  You never know until you try it for yourself.
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/22 11:40:39 (permalink)
Cactus that method seems to fail me. It takes at least a minute for me to breathe again,let alone sing anything. When my heart starts back up again I can't think straight so I stay away :) One heck of a cold remedy though. I stayed healthy all winter with just an occasional sip here and there. Whiskey cleans the airway a little, burn your tonsils right out of your throat :)

Davdud, I got one of those on a MF deal of the day and haven't regretted it since. That EV Co9  is a nice little mic. Surprised me how nice it sounded. Really in a beginning home studio situation with computer noise and recording in less than stellar places, a dynamic fits the bill pretty well at times. You don't really want something that lets you hear flies mating, know what I mean?

Jude I'm glad you found a mic that works well for you. This mic thing can be a journey....a really expensive journey.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/25 00:02:32 (permalink)
Early March I ordered one of the new TLM 107 microphones and am not so patiently waiting its arrival.  All sources who were lucky enough to audition one say it is a wonderful vocal mic and a Multi-Pattern Neumann for under $2000 besides.  I usually order in pairs but I wanted to test a single out first to see if it is worth it.  I am hoping it is a versatile all-rounder.

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/27 14:25:53 (permalink)
Maybe look at the new Rode NT-1. Complete new design, only uses the capsule from the NT-1A.
Clips etc: https://soundcloud.com/ehalter/sets/first-track-with-the
http://www.rodemic.com/microphones/nt1

Affordable... I know clips really don't tell you a lot because, well because but they are what they are. I'm considering buying an NT-1 and I want a SM-7b.

Guage makes really good mics for the money... http://www.gauge-usa.com/Gauge_Microphones/Home.html and of course I ALWAYS listen to everything Danny says. I already looked on Ebay for the CAD mic he mentioned and there are a couple for under 200 bucks. I have never heard anything bad about the KSM-44 but I cannot afford one right now.

Happy hunting. (If I repeated anything I R sorry, I only read the first couple of pages so far but wanted to post this before I forgot. OK, back to reading!)

edit> there is this on the Gauge mics too, it is interesting. http://www.gauge-usa.com/Gauge_Microphones/Compare.html

Sandy Beach aka jbow
post edited by jbow - 2014/04/27 14:43:58

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/28 21:44:03 (permalink)
Rumley, I'll be excited to hear if you like what you hear. I'll be surprised if it's anything but good news considering that mic.

Jbow, hope you find what you're after.. The only down side to this thread so far has been ebay prices....I swear they are going up:)
Don't talk yourself out of the KSM44. If I told you what I paid for mine you wouldn't believe it. The first thing that needs to happen though is we bury this thread:)

Twitter @Rodein

The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/29 02:33:15 (permalink)
It's the oldest argument in the world? 

I can get these women? They're not bad? But they're not "HOT!"

But I only have to pay "this much?

--------------------

I can get THESE OTHER WOMEN!!! They're not cheap, but you have to pay THIS MUCH!!!

---------------

The problem is? We want both... The ultimate problem is? "you can't get both!" People will tell you that you can? You'll search for it? It doesn't exist... 

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/29 02:33:15 (permalink)
It's the oldest argument in the world? 

I can get these women? They're not bad? But they're not "HOT!"

But I only have to pay "this much?

--------------------

I can get THESE OTHER WOMEN!!! They're not cheap, but you have to pay THIS MUCH!!!

---------------

The problem is? We want both... The ultimate problem is? "you can't get both!" People will tell you that you can? You'll search for it? It doesn't exist... 

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/29 09:54:05 (permalink)
I've never had to pay for a woman and I have the best right now ....treacherous waters Robbie...treacherous waters, comparing microphones to women. 

I guess my aim was mainly to see which mics everyone likes, not to argue what mics are better compared to how much they cost. We've had some really good comments on that I think. I've learned a lot just in this article,and it has single handedly been responsible for my last three mic purchases.

Having said that, I know a lot of people are on a budget and so money is a factor for some, yet it doesn't need to stop the show either. For me money is definitely an issue but a secondary issue to the mic itself.

I also did a little more digging than I likely would have because I wanted to know the facts on a lot of these mics.

If a person tells me they like mic so and so and they are in the studio recording a lot, I take what they say pretty seriously. A lot of what I have read has further confirmed a lot of my hunches and given me a few directions to go in that are helpful. 

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/29 15:08:31 (permalink)
Rumley, I'll be excited to hear if you like what you hear. I'll be surprised if it's anything but good news considering that mic.

I just heard that I should get it tomorrow.  I'll see how it goes.

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/29 16:29:03 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
There was a great article in the January issue of Sound on Sound on Phil Ramone and how he gets the most amazing vocal sound.  The article is called 'Star Quality'   Not freely downloadable yet but it should be soon I imagine.

It is one of the most interesting things I have read in a while.  Phil basically says that the final vocal sound does not have anything at all to do with the vocal mic, preamp or compressor etc (vocal chain)  It is about something else. Four other things actually and they all have nothing to do with technology.  Check it out if you can sometime. It will really open your mind up about how to get great vocal performances down.

But it is fun to talk about the hardware for sure. I still feel the Rode Classic top of the line valve mic is very very nice and I have used it for many years on everything and it does a stellar job. It is reasonably priced too.

My wife had the honour to work with Mr. Ramone a few years ago, in Avatar Studio, NYC. A sweet man - who was quite impressed by my lovely lady's voice. ;)

Me I'd pick a Blue Blueberry. In 2012 back in NY again, within a few weeks, we had two sessions booked. First one in a real studio, with proper vocal booth and top notch gear - the session involved a U67, a LA-2A, Neve Pres, a Harrison board and Pro Tools HD. The results were obviously great.

A few weeks later, another session took place, that time in a suite similar to our own - a glass box with no sound treatment whatsoever. Much like my own rig pictured below, but with better gear. The mic was a Blue Blueberry running through a Avalon Tube Pre/Compressor, through Apogee converters, into Logic. I was completely blown away by the results. To this day, that's still my favorite take on my wife's voice. And it works great on male voice too.

That Blue Blueberry mic was incredible. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
dacookster
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 00:31:47 (permalink)
I don't have time right now to read all this thread, and I hope I'm not killing the topic here---but---

AKG C414.  The gold one.  I record a lot of female vocals and I am rarely disappointed with the quality it produces.  In fact tonight as I had a session I was just smiling all night.  I even told the artists the story of how I got my 414.
Here it is--

About 3 1/2 years ago I was working with a singer.  We wanted to record some songs, and I thought it was time to get a good vocal mic.  I starved myself for a week so I could afford a 414.  I used it on the sessions and fell in love.  I have since used it on every female vocalist that has come into my studio and I've never been disappointed.  I told the artists that, listening to them through the microphone, it was worth every penny I paid and that week of hell I went through to afford the microphone.

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 01:06:19 (permalink)

I starved myself for a week so I could afford a 414.

Are you telling me you spend $1000/week on food?  Dammit man, learn to cook!  It's in your name. 

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 08:23:08 (permalink)
The Blue Blueberry is a great example of an affordable mic that was designed, and is built as an antidote to the less than pleasant effects that modern cost saving technology has lent to most contemporary microphones.

It does not conform to the *small parts*, high technology used in the current big "brand name" low noise floor designs and it doesn't conform to the build it cheap and sell it cheaper no name copy cat designs either.

It is an expression of using good sounding technology and good construction quality to achieve a good sounding mic.

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 10:52:25 (permalink)
Dacookster, If I'm going to starve myself it had better be for a good reason. That must be one really nice mic,either that, or you don't eat much.
 You are in good company liking the C414...I found investigation into that particular mic a little bit confusing because of this-

http://www.saturn-sound.com/Curio's/story%20of%20the%20akg%20c414.htm

If I were looking to buy one  first I would need to determine which one because there seem to have been so many iterations.

Daniel- Just goes to show we never have too many microphones. You have the best and are buying more of the best 

Rain I remember your commenting on that particular mic before. Part of me wants to rationalize some of the end results you got were due to the Avalon and those Apogee converters....and your wife's killer vocals, but I'm sure you tried other  mics and this one was best. It is a relief when you finally find "the" mic or "the" guitar. I'm glad to hear you found the best mic for her.

Mike- Yeah man, there is no question that Blue is trying very hard to be unconventional and non conformist, just look at the exteriors of the mics. Although they have low ended mics too...I think the idea of different and non conformist sits well with the artistic and creative crowd who are also hell bent on non conformity for the most part JMHO.

In my thinking this is at least some of their schtick and approach to the market and is especially why I look the other way when it come to their visuals and use my ears only. I have said I like black mics and I recently bought a silver mic because it is a darned good mic...so orange mics and blue mics with funny looking capsules shouldn't mean anything other than that they look cool but I think the look of the product has been a factor. Look at those KRK monitors with the yellow cones. They sold a ton of those. The comparison being that they aren't the most neutral of monitors. Everyone uses their own criteria when buying something. No one wants to admit that they might have bought something based on how it looked. Let's face it if you think it looks ugly you might not even pick it up.

Twitter @Rodein

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 11:12:53 (permalink)
I was thinking about the innards of the Blueberry rather than its appearance.

The Blue line up only has a few mic with commendable innards. The Blueberry happens to be one of them.

It would be interesting, to me, to learn how/if/why that mic has changed as construction moved from its original factory to the new facilities.

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 11:30:28 (permalink)
Didn't intend to sidetrack your mention of the "innards"......I know you're an "innards" kind of guy and that was supposed to be a compliment.

I think that to a large degree  "modern cost saving technology" isn't a liability if done well. Honestly I think most of that cost savings comes from having them made in a country where money is harder to come by and people work for less of it. You could say it's "modern cost saving labor" The world economy is a cruel and cold place to some and a boon for others.

But Blue.....I can't seem to make a major differentiation between them and almost anyone else, other than their schtick for the way their mics look. How do you see them being substantially different in production techniques compared to many others? It seems that you are saying they make their higher ended mics with non surface mount technology but surface mount technology can yield a lower noise floor if the design is good. I'm not challenging you here, just trying to get inside your thoughts a little bit more.

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/04/30 13:03:42 (permalink)
I have never really considered Blue.  Some of their mics sound pretty good, but one of those looks like it must weigh 70 pounds and require its own city power grid.  Their retro-chic design is definitely a modern copy of the old Neumann-Gefell CMV 563, though I have never looked into the guts of their mics.  Once a manufacturer starts playing around with USB mics and selling in the Apple Store, I kind of loose interest. 

As far as surface mount modern components vs. classic thru-hole designs.  There are good arguments to support that the latter is still superior in terms of durability and reliability.  Though when it comes to sound and performance, there isn't really a difference any more. 

Surface mount parts are less expensive and can be easily installed by a machine, combine that with a pressed aluminum body instead of one lathed out of a solid block, and you can have a microphone that is at least $1000 cheaper.  If your conscience can handle the knowledge that piece of gear put dozens of people out of work, then you have a great sounding microphone.  (guilty)

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/05/01 14:02:32 (permalink)
The Blue I really took notice to was the one with all the head attachments. Maybe that's the one you mentioned. I think it's in the 5 grand range....excuse me 6 grand. At any rate that had better be a really good mic and I'm pretty sure it is. I doubt Guitar Center will let me take that one home overnight to test.

Twitter @Rodein

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1