How come Omnisphere is never on sale?

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2014/04/18 19:43:59 (permalink)

How come Omnisphere is never on sale?

Seems *stuck* at $479 everywhere.   Yeah...still a deal, but after a new computer, X3, some other stuff...the $479 needs to ease up a bit.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

8 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/18 21:38:24 (permalink)
    Yup...ol Eric is a hard nut to crack. I bet when they finally come out with the next big thing they'll smell the coffee and ENTICE US with an alluring price. Or not.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/18 21:44:41 (permalink)
    It's worth every penny at list price. Total quality product.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/19 04:20:02 (permalink)
    Does occasionally come up on sale on KVR but not a lot and you have to be quick. I bought it like that ages ago. Takes over a week to a fortnight to get it authorised. He says it's not done deliberately like that (I asked him) but you can draw your own conclusions. Virtually every other firm does a transfer in less than a day.

American stores occasionally have a short-lived offer. In Europe, the total bundle works out the best but that's a lot of money in one go for three products.

Just to make it worse, it's a great product!
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/19 07:35:49 (permalink)
    I got it a few years ago at 20% discount thanks to a generic "20% off anything" retailer coupon rather than a specific Omnisphere offer. The retailer balked a bit when I said great...I'll have Omnisphere and Trilian then please, but they did honour the deal, albeit somewhat reluctantly as he said that the he was making next to nothing at that price . I guess they don't discount it because they don't need to. Quality product and first rate customer service in my experience.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/19 11:34:24 (permalink)
    Why does a Cadillac Escalade cost so much more than a GM Yukon, even though they're pretty much the same product? It's about using price to position a product to appeal to well-heeled customers, otherwise known as snob appeal.

I'm sure that Spectrasonics' pricing is part of a conscious marketing strategy, to create an image of exclusivity and therefore desirability. They don't advertise and aren't big on participating in online discussions or social media. You'll never see a "get on our mailing list and win Trillian!" promotion.

It seems to work. Omnisphere is very popular among those who whip up stuff for television. After working with Omnisphere for a while you'll start to recognize familiar patches on TV all the time. Those guys need to create content quickly, but they don't want to sound like everybody else if they can help it. Knowing that Omnisphere isn't in every teenager's bedroom studio is probably attractive to them. (Omnisphere's copy protection has never been cracked, AFAIK.)

Of course, the strategy wouldn't work if the product wasn't also pretty good. It is.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/04/19 15:46:43 (permalink)
    With a lot of patience you can pick up a used copy on KVR.  I got mine new from a professional studio that bought unneeded copies.  I paid around $350.

There's no doubt that this is a very high quality instrument.  But I'm finding it to be far from a go-to synth ... the content mostly doesn't really float my boat.  And for the money this really should be a go-to synth for whoever buys it.  Since there's no demo (unless I'm mistaken), you're making quite a leap of faith when you fork over your hard cash for this baby.
    kson
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/05/15 22:29:39 (permalink)
    Know this:

Once you buy into Eric's Spectrasonics, you're in.  He normally gives away big updates for free.  I got Trillian based on my having Trilogy.  I got Omnisphere based on having Atmosphere. 

Feel free to purchase at cost and you will be supported.  I can't say that it will be for life, but he is really fair in his update/upgrade policy.

I'm waiting to see what he'll do with RMX.

Best,

RKS
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: How come Omnisphere is never on sale? 2014/05/15 23:19:36 (permalink)
    Paulo... I did the same... picked up both all three and saved $200 with the judicious use of $100 off Guitar Center coupons using two emails... Patience is a virtue at times...

While other companies continue wipping out new things, Eric just did it pretty right and it is a huge library of wonderful stuff... why discount?  continuous influx of new customers makes sense rather than gobs of them for cheap...

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1