Led Zep - Swimming pool drums

Author
soundman32
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2014/04/18 09:53:19 (permalink)

Led Zep - Swimming pool drums

Hi All,

I've recorded the basic drums track for a client, and they are after what I call the Led Zeppelin Swimming Pool sound, lots of room, and reverb.

The actual track they want to sound like is the intro to Bone Machine by Pixies : 

I can sort of get there, but wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

14 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/18 10:22:49 (permalink)
    Have you ever heard of the "Glyn Johns" method?

You can easily search out and find hundreds of articles about it. It would have been a lot more effective for the client to tell you they wanted this sound before you recorded the drums because that is the easiest way to make it sound like the drums were recorded that way.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/18 10:58:36 (permalink)
    the strength of the original zep drum recordings, was the room sound in the capture, and the way it was all compressed to tie it all together...
    plus the way that bonham hit both his drums, and his cymbal technique...

VERY HARD to approximate,
    because so much of it came from the drummer himself.

you can simply throw a big room reverb on the whole kit, and sorta get there..
    but unless you record a similar drummer, in a similar room, it will always ONLY be an approximation.

would love to hear about what you come up with after experimenting.....

and what mike said, 
    http://therecordingrevolu...drum-recording-method/

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

soundman32
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 07:51:55 (permalink)
    I've heard of, but never used that method, but as batsbrew says, it's the room sound, probably more than the mike set-up, that makes that sound.  That's why I called it the swimming pool sound, as I believe that's what Led Zep used at one point.

Funnily enough, Rhythm Magazine ran an article on how to get that sound in their Feb 2014 issue, which I will now purchase :-)

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 08:49:00 (permalink)
    The easiest way to get that particular type of room sound is to have mics that are positioned to get that room sound.

The difference between just adding a room mic (or room reverb) to the mix and the Glyn Johns method is that Led Zepp was recorded with mics that were placed far enough from the impact that they captured both the drums and the drums in the room at the same time, and they did it with a phase cancellation characteristics that is the result of the placement of the mics.

The one thing I'd add that hasn't been mentioned yet is that drum tuning is kinda a big deal too. I think that is alluded to when people say "it was the way he hit the drums" but it may not be obvious unless someone comes out and says it.

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 09:47:30 (permalink)
    That pixies track sounds more like an average 2 car garage than the castles & stairwells the Zep kits were tracked in.
    I hear a relatively quick slap back from a medium size room that sounds Eq'd to only really be mids/mid-highs.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 10:17:26 (permalink)
    ChuckC
    That pixies track sounds more like an average 2 car garage than the castles & stairwells the Zep kits were tracked in.
    I hear a relatively quick slap back from a medium size room that sounds Eq'd to only really be mids/mid-highs.

I agree.  Some of the best Bonham work had him banging away (harder than pretty much anyone else back then) in the hallway of a large castle while the Pixies sound like what I hear when I'm walking down the street and someone is practicing in their garage with the door closed.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 11:53:38 (permalink)
    If you don't have any castles, pools or stairwells handy, you can get reasonably close with digital reverb. They key parameter is a long (20-30 ms or more) predelay to simulate a far-away microphone.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 17:40:03 (permalink)
    There is a lot of info about "when the levee breaks." I think Gearstluz had a giant thread about which old comp went on a "room" mic that was stuck up the castle stairway.  But recording in the biggest room you can find w/ a big echo is the best way - if you don't have John Bonham handy.  And the more room you capture, the easier it is to fake a big room.  Try the overheads for most of the sound (hopefully it has some room) and then lay on the biggest predelay on the kit mics.  That would be how I'd start for led zep.

And yea, that doesn't really sound like the pixies, esp. the early pixies.

And the fewer mic you use, the better the drummer ought to be.  Tuning and dynamics are harder to fake w/ fewer mics.  I can get a good drum sound in my small living room w/ 3 mics - or as good as the drummer is.  Mediocre drummers sound rather trashy.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 18:09:08 (permalink)
    Here's a quote I stumbled on while reading up over at Wiki:

Jimmy Page has also commented:
    One of the marvelous things about John Bonham which made things very easy [for a producer] was the fact that he really knew how to tune his drums, and I tell you what, that was pretty rare in drummers in those days. He really knew how to make the instrument sing, and because of that, he could just get so much volume out of it by just playing with his wrists. It was just an astonishing technique that was sort of pretty holistic if you know what I mean.*

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/19 22:08:54 (permalink)
    Here's a YouTube of "When the Levee Breaks"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKkJHSO8A0

Hihat seems more direct on the right with not so much room and lots of room left and center.  I love the sound of those drums and cymbals.  At the intro, the delay is in 8ths to the tempo!

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/20 23:03:42 (permalink)
    A good starting point would be a Vintage Ludwig Vistalite kit and make sure you leave the resonant heads on the drums ... and very important ... no hole in the resonant bass drum head.

Mic the bass drum from the outside using two microphones: a LDC Neumann U47 FET and an Electro Voice 666.  You will have to spend time getting the phase correct.  Of course an sm57 on top of the snare.

I am assuming you do not own a castle so, a large glass greenhouse (not one of those fake greenhouses with clear plastic walls) will make a reasonable substitute.  Experiment with the placement of a pair of Beyer M160 ribbon (room) mics in whatever space you decide to use.

You will also need a console made by Helios along the lines of the one shown in this photo:

Well, I hope that helps!

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/21 10:18:58 (permalink)
    lol...

it wasn't a castle.

and there was never a swimming pool.

that said, good reverb plugin will get you the room sound,
    but you have to know how to use it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

soundman32
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/21 12:18:21 (permalink)
    As someone who lives in England, I can tell you that we ALL live in castles.  Unfortunately, I've just moved from my winter ancestral castle (which has 2 Helios consoles), to my summer house, which only has a 320ft2 recording studio (without a turret stairwell or Helios).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Led Zep - Swimming pool drums 2014/04/21 12:32:15 (permalink)
    Don't worry about not having room for the Helios; you can keep in a truck parked out back.

;-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1