Helpful ReplyUnauthorized PayPal charge

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 12:14:30 (permalink)
I've had numerous fake PayPal emails that weren't actually from PayPal but were phishing scams trying to trick me into sending personal information. They typically show some large purchase, or suggest that someone has stolen your identity, in order to incite worry. 

Here's an example:

We are writing you this email in regards to your PayPal account. In accordance with our "Terms and Conditions", article 3.2., we would like to kindly ask you to confirm your identity by completing the attached form.
Please print this form and fill in the requested information. Once you have filled out all the information on the form please send it to verification@paypal.com along with a personal identification document (identity card, driving license or international passport) and a proof of address submitted with our system ( bank account statement or utility bill )

It's a trick to get you to open the attachment.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 12:57:10 (permalink)
Yep, seen a few similar to those. Paypal will always refer to you by name in emails, scammers usually put 'Dear Customer'.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 13:20:14 (permalink)
Susan G
Hi-
Has anyone else ever had one of these? I got an email receipt for an $850 payment for an iPad which of course I never ordered. The shipping address was "Unconfirmed", which is what I guess flagged it for PayPal.
Thanks-
-Susan

I would find my way to yoru state's Consumer Protection Agency and fill out a complaint!

AND QUICK!

I had a similar situation with the Bank of America subsidiary!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 13:31:14 (permalink)
Moshkiae
AND QUICK!

Thank goodness for time machines!!! 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 14:33:35 (permalink)
Susan, here's a little advice for you and anyone else using Paypal.

Here is how I do my account. I have a sub-account at my bank that has it's own debit Mastercard. It's tied to my checking account, but it is an actual separate account. Per my instruction, the bank will NOT cover any charges to that account that are not covered by the funds within the account. In other words, NO overdraft protection. When I want to make a purchase using Paypal, I go online and transfer the funds from my main checking account into the sub-account to cover the amount of the purchase. It's pretty much fraud proof protection.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 15:48:46 (permalink)
Why would anyone wake up a thread that's four years old, leading others (like me) to reply. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed.
post edited by rontarrant - 2014/04/20 16:02:27

-Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------------
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
----------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 15:38:37 (permalink)
rontarrant
Susan Gand they contacted me about it, saying my account was restricted due to a possible unauthorized payment. I had to change my password and confirm a security code via phone before I could access my account again.

This is the part that makes me think this is a scam.

If "they" contacted you, "they" could be anyone pretending to be PayPal.

Now that you've changed your password and security code, "they" (whoever they are) has your PayPal info.

I would do the following:
- log onto the PayPal website by typing paypal.com into the URL line of your browser (no cheating here, no link-clicking or shortcuts and definitely DO NOT go back to that email and click on the link they provided; this will ensure you aren't going to somewhere other than PayPal's site)
- change your password

Agree... my policy is to delete any emails I get from any sort of site like PayPal or any bank or CC company. If I am suspicious, I change my passwords... of course then I promptly for get what I changed it to and have to get them to send me an email the next time I want to login... then do it again... then maybe I will remember it.

I NEVER reply to ANY email that wants me to reset my password. I (and anyone else) should go, on your own, in a new window, to the website in question, login, and if necessary change the PW. You cannot trust ANY email that gives you a link to use to change a PW. Scammers will set up websites that look EXACTLY like the site of the business in question.

For any international transaction, if you don't want to have any problems, ONLY use Western Union money transfers. Then you get your money and you are taking NO chances. You can sell on Ebay to any country if you ONLY accept Western Union wired money. The buyer takes a risk but not you.

Someone used my AMEX a few years ago. My daughter had used it to buy some tickets or something and on the next bill there was a purchase for dugout level Atlanta Braves/NY Yankees seats. It was out of character for my account and I had no trouble with AMEX, they didn't charge me and issued me a new card right away.

I hate a thief! I guess it was about 15 years ago when Wal-Mart started a policy of looking in your bags when you left the store and comparing with your receipt, I was offended because of my ignorance of the problem. Then I was at a convenience store, part of a chain of stores I was servicing. At that time they still displayed cigarettes on the counter. They had lost over 100 dollars worth of cigarettes, stolen, in one shift. THAT opened my eyes. I was really shocked because I don't steal things and from then on I didn't mind Wal-Mart looking in my bags. I mean really... you can't trust anyone it seems... family will steal from you, strangers will scam you. It is sad but I am wiser now.
This was a good thread to resurrect.

I just wish I could remember new passwords... I know there is some sort of password locker on my phone but I don't know how to use it. On most sites I let Windows remember my PWs and I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 16:47:23 (permalink)
I just checked my Paypal account and there's no problem in mine, but I couldn't help but notice this on the first Google page:

PayPal  has 43,068 followers on Google+

Who the hell follows Paypal???

And why would some 43,000+ do so???

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 17:59:16 (permalink)
Holy 4 years ago people!!!  (those of you who are answering Susan!!!!)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
drewfx1
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 18:44:53 (permalink)
Beagle

You say this as if any of the people replying are bothering to read any of the intervening posts (where this has already been repeatedly repeatedly pointed out). 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 18:59:35 (permalink)
Beagle

Just looked back and I'm guessing that the new person did a search (as all new members are supposed to do) found a relevant topic and actually bridged the topic well to now.  Unlike many of the other zombie threads we've had.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
drewfx1
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 19:51:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2014/04/20 15:39:29
Yes, but many of the people trying to be helpful responded to Susan's initial post, ignoring the person who revived it because they didn't bother to read the intervening posts.

craigb
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/19 19:59:21 (permalink)
You really set the bar a lot higher for the Coffee House posters than I do Drew!
(I kinda let it roll into the gutter and leave it there.)

jimusic
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/20 01:45:07 (permalink)
jbow
I just wish I could remember new passwords... I know there is some sort of password locker on my phone but I don't know how to use it. On most sites I let Windows remember my PWs and I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer.

Julien

Julien - I have so many passwords that there's no way to remember them all, so I have a Word Document [Word Pad or Note Pad will also work].

Each time I set a new or reset an existing password, I open the Word Doc file and put in the following:
Website Name In Bold
Username: jimusic
Email Used: ****@***
Password: ' #$%^&* ' 
Next Web Site
Username:
Email Used:
Password:  '                '
And so on...

Then get into the habit of saving it every time you close it whether you've added or changed anything or not.

Works well for me & my Mrs & has for about 6 years now.
We probably have close to 100 by now.

craigb
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/20 06:40:39 (permalink)
I always use "incorrect" as my password.  That way, if I forget and type in something else, the site comes back with "Your password is incorrect." and I can go "Oh yeah." 

wgdevanna
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/20 11:25:05 (permalink)
I saw that CNET was mentioned earlier in this thread. I wouldn't DL anything from CNET either.

Sonar Platinum
Win 7 x64 Home Premium
Core i5 2500k - ASUS P8P67
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600
3x 6GB/s SATAIII HDDs
GTX 280 - Dual Monitor
MOTU Audio Express USB ASIO interface
jimusic
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/22 01:44:54 (permalink)
craigb
I always use "incorrect" as my password.  That way, if I forget and type in something else, the site comes back with "Your password is incorrect." and I can go "Oh yeah." 

Haha! Too funny!

jimusic
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/22 01:46:11 (permalink)
wgdevanna
I saw that CNET was mentioned earlier in this thread. I wouldn't DL anything from CNET either.

No kidding! - I almost made that mistake a few times many years ago - almost.

Adjha
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 01:27:09 (permalink)
Today on checking  Credit Card statement i was surprised to see 100 $was charged through Paypal and some website that I have not heard. 
Now I have begun the dispute in Paypal and changed all my passwords and added Paypal's phone PIN security feature.
Should I go to my bank? I don't think it's an issue with my credit card/account as it was done via Paypal. Is there anyway they'll be able to do a charge back?

craigb
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 03:22:42 (permalink)
Ah, the thread that never dies...

@Adjha - If you're being serious, then you need to call Pay Pal.  They actually can be pretty helpful.

Beagle
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 08:19:20 (permalink)
so Adjha joins Cakewalk forum 17 hours ago and his first (and only) post is about paypal from a 4 year old thread that has been resurrected so many times it smells like a zombie on steroids...

hmmm

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 10:16:57 (permalink)
Beagle
so Adjha joins Cakewalk forum 17 hours ago and his first (and only) post is about paypal from a 4 year old thread that has been resurrected so many times it smells like a zombie on steroids...

hmmm

Maybe he/she's a Paypal X3 Musician???

Also, Adjha states that he was checking his "Credit Card Statement"..........from the little I've read, Paypal seems to only use Debit cards as a backup.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ445&topicID=&m=ARA

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beagle
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 11:13:14 (permalink)
Mesh
Beagle

hmmm

Also, Adjha states that he was checking his "Credit Card Statement"..........from the little I've read, Paypal seems to only use Debit cards as a backup.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ445&topicID=&m=ARA

as a backup, yes, but you can set the purchase to come from a credit card.  the debit/bank draft comes into play if your credit card is denied if it's chosen for payment.

Mesh
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 11:43:54 (permalink)
Beagle
Mesh
Beagle

hmmm

as a backup, yes, but you can set the purchase to come from a credit card.  the debit/bank draft comes into play if your credit card is denied if it's chosen for payment.

Aja!!
I mean Adjha!!
Actually Aha!!!

Icy said the blind man.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Moshkiae
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 11:56:08 (permalink)
Susan G
Hi-
Has anyone else ever had one of these? I got an email receipt for an $850 payment for an iPad which of course I never ordered. The shipping address was "Unconfirmed", which is what I guess flagged it for PayPal.

If this has not been reversed yet, I would immediately file a complaint with the NY Consumer Protection Agency (forms online sometimes) to force them to clear it, and right after it, cancel the account.

There is no other way, and some of these companies need to lose customers by the million, so they will finally decide to protect the customers, not the vendors! Specially when they do this illegally.

I just had this issue with Amazon, and even though it was less, and only $29.99, it was an account I had closed 3 months previously. To their credit, they caught it, but they won't do anything about it, and I have not activated and will close this account, when it is clear, which is only a week away.

One Amazon person specified why I would do that? Because you will not prosecute robbery and fraud, right in your own backyard. All you have to do is publicize these companies until they learn that they have to be more careful or lose customers left and right!

There is no other way. Until these credit card companies stand by you and help prosecute malicious intent, the discussion is over.

No more Amazon card for me! And I haven't, and won't use Pay Pal at all for the same reason, although I have not had issues with them, but I have now a 3rd friend (Susan) that has been ripped apart, not to mention the emotional side of it all! Which you can not put a price on!

Don't forget that these companies are under attack so much it is not funny, and is one reason why I do not support or work with them. Recently, I posted on the other thread that you should not change your password, and that you should call and suspend the card indefinitely instead. Why? Do you think that you have more security than a credit card company to prevent a good hacker from seeing your keystrokes? Are you ****ing crazy? 

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Mesh
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 12:02:44 (permalink)
Just FYI Moshkiae, you're replying to a thread from June 11, 10 3:56 PM

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
drewfx1
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 12:13:03 (permalink)
Mesh

That he already replied to last month. 

Beagle
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 12:13:07 (permalink)

Mesh
Re: Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 12:15:23 (permalink)
drewfx1
Mesh

That he already replied to last month. 

Deja View.....all over again?

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Moshkiae
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/05/29 12:24:59 (permalink)
bitflipper
I've had numerous fake PayPal emails that weren't actually from PayPal but were phishing scams trying to trick me into sending personal information. They typically show some large purchase, or suggest that someone has stolen your identity, in order to incite worry. 

Thx Bit ... I just posted on the other thread about spoof'ing. Heck, you can learn it on Wiki after a few posts!

I still think that cancelling the account is best, or at least suspend it for a healthy period until it seems to stabilize. But the email to change your password, is such an obvious and total suspicious thing, not to mention that most folks have no idea what the "headers" are to even look to see that the email came from Hong Kong, via Mars, and Jupiter, before it got to you!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1